The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PeterBJ said:
The Hat wrote:

On the contrary the new 226/225 are quite easy to refill but youll have to adapt to the new way of refilling them that is all.
Could you please describe this new method in a new thread? I'm looking forward to it :)
There are a number of threads on Nifty relating to the successful refilling of the opaque 226 cartridges.
When I come across one of them I will post it for you or someone else may even do it in the short term..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are several ways to refill the opaque 225/226 cartridges.

1) Guess when it refilled enough.

2) Top fill and use a toothpick or other suitable device as a dipstick to check the fill in the spongeless side.

3) Use a digital scale to weigh the cartridge. Knowing the weight of a filled cartridge plus the weight of an ml of ink will allow you to determine number of ml's needed to reach fill weight. The Durchstich method may be used with this approach.

4) Dripping ink onto the sponge via the ink ejection port until filled eventually led to the Freedom Refill method by ghwellsjr which was then augmented by others. There are a number of posts on these derivative versions to be read if you use the search function.

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When I come across one of them I will post it for you or someone else may even do it in the short term..
If you could do this I would really appreciate it. I have searched on this site but have not found detailed methods for refilling either the 220 series or the 225 series. I have been busy with the insurance company, my internet provider, telephone company, and computer repair and havent had time to research thoroughly. I did read that the 220 series cartridge is now opaque like the 225 series. I appreciate everyones help.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat wrote:

On the contrary the new 226/225 are quite easy to refill but youll have to adapt to the new way of refilling them that is all.
I guess I misunderstood that a bit. I read it as"On the contrary the new 226/225 are quite easy to refill but youll have to adapt to the new way of refilling them that is all.", meaning a new way had been developed and described like pharmacist's tutorials on the German method, ghwellsjr's Freedom refill method and The Hat's PGI-9 refill method. I wondered how I could have missed such a thread.

I have read some threads on the subject of refilling PGI-225/CLI-226 and noticed various methods of refill, but I think that for the present the best way is to use the windowed PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges with the PGI-225/CLI-226 chips transferred.

I have some PGI-520/CLI-521 that need refill. I have ordered inks and accessories from Octoinkjet UK and is waiting for delivery. It is easy to convert a windowed cartridge to an opaque one for testing purposes by blackening out the windows with tape, so I could test the dipstick method and the filling by weight as mentioned by stratman when my inks arrive and report back.

@ kspeed55: I have also read the rumours about new PGI-220/CLI-221 being opaque but this has not been confirmed yet AFAIK. A good starting point for reading about refill of the opaque carts is this (lengthy) thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5530

M

macbroom

I just finished refilling my CLI 225/226 carts. I am using clear aftermarket refillables with canon chips swapped and a resetter. Later today or tomorrow I plan to start a new thread on FIRST hand experience and the success or failure of people who are using this type of method with different printers and cart types.

I plan to suggest a standard form to be used on this thread with specifics such as printer, cart, retailer, ink type/brand, resetter type, comments, etc

I would hope that this thread will provide a quick reference to people who are interested in this method of refilling and not be a back and forth debate over the advantages/disadvantages of this method.

Max

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
macbroom said:
I just finished refilling my CLI 225/226 carts. I am using clear aftermarket refillables with canon chips swapped and a resetter. Later today or tomorrow I plan to start a new thread on FIRST hand experience and the success or failure of people who are using this type of method with different printers and cart types.

I plan to suggest a standard form to be used on this thread with specifics such as printer, cart, retailer, ink type/brand, resetter type, comments, etc

I would hope that this thread will provide a quick reference to people who are interested in this method of refilling and not be a back and forth debate over the advantages/disadvantages of this method.

Max
You have completely missed the point of refilling the 225/226 cartridges altogether.
The ongoing debate is on OEM opaque cartridges and not on clear compatibles.

There is a way to refill the 225/226 using the German method,
it was described in an earlier thread but I have failed to find as yet. :idunno

This guy had his own procedure for filling these opaque cartridges and went on to describe in detail
how by holding his cartridge at a 45 degree angle and waiting till you could see the ink appear
in the prism area on the bottom of the cartridge then stop filling it and remove his needle, all done.:woot

Now if I have made a error describing his procedure than I have to apologise to him.
because it was a new way that he had come up with and I was not particularly happy with his method
and didnt read very much in to it at the time. (Stupidity on my part)
PeterBJ
I guess I misunderstood that a bit. I read it as"On the contrary the new 226/225 are quite easy to refill but youll have to adapt to the new way of refilling them that is all.", meaning a new way had been developed and described like pharmacist's tutorials on the German method, ghwellsjr's Freedom refill method and The Hat's PGI-9 refill method. I wondered how I could have missed such a thread.
PeterBJ I hope this will help you to do more tests on this method as well as your own and report back on its success and ease of use..

M

macbroom

To the Hat...

I may have missed the point, but I am only interested in the results that people have had using this type of method. I am well aware that there are many other methods, but many average use users are looking for a cost effective, fairly painless method to refill their Canon ink carts. If certain brands of clear empty refillable carts give good results and other brands don't then I'm sure that many other users will find this useful.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
macbroom said:
To the Hat...

I may have missed the point, but I am only interested in the results that people have had using this type of method. I am well aware that there are many other methods, but many average use users are looking for a cost effective, fairly painless method to refill their Canon ink carts. If certain brands of clear empty refillable carts give good results and other brands don't then I'm sure that many other users will find this useful.
Lots of guys do use cheap compatible refillable cartridges and inks
but soon find they have big problems using their printers from day to day.

Nearly every member on this forum has had problems while using their printers and
came here to learn all the how not too and change to a much better way to use and maintain their printers.

Look at it from another angle if this cheap (merchandise) worked successfully then everybody would be using it Right,
but they dont thankfully and thats why more and more are turning away from this sort of junk.

Please read post #13 again carefully because I am sure you didnt understand the simple message that's being put forward on this forum. :frow

Everybody knows that these cartridges are very easy to refill thats their attraction
but they dont tell you about the pit falls that will eventfully happen to your printer after using them.:hit

Here on Nifty we try help to promote the best practices in refilling so guys can enjoy their everyday printing
without the hassle or problems associated with most unheard of cheap refillable cartridges and poor quality inks..

M

macbroom

I read post # 13 carefully the first time! I have been refilling my printers , HP, Epson, and now Canons for more than 15 years now so I am no babe in the woods. I have always refilled OEM carts up until now and I have had a few problems over the years and learned from them.

How do you know that the new carts that I am using now aren't the best thing since sliced bread....You don't because you haven't tried them. Maybe they will cause me problems but maybe they will work flawlessly for years. These carts seem well made and use fibre elements. They don't look like the other cheap clear refillables I looked at on eBay.

An ink cartridge is not rocket science and to think that OEM Canon carts contain some magic fairy dust that will make them so much better when refilled than a well made clear refillable filled with good quality ink is shortsighted.

I will report back here after I've used them for a year and maybe even someone set in their ways like yourself will try a set! :old

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
macbroom
I will report back here after I've used them for a year and maybe even someone set in their ways like yourself will try a set!
Well that has certainly put me back in my pond with all the other little fish. :smack
I wouldnt keep digging if I were in a hole..:duc