New Canon Printers

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
On the contrary the new 226/225 are quite easy to refill but youll have to adapt to the new way of refilling them that is all.
I fully agree. Now I have printers with all types of cartridges from BCI-6 to 525/526 and refill seems equally easy for all models.

Regarding refilling compatibles, is like gambling: one may be lucky but in most cases it looses. As an example I bought my IP4600 with mixed cartridges, OEMs and compatible PGBK and Magenta. Magenta is still ok after many refills, PGBK failed after second refill.
So why should one buy a lot of compatibles in search for good ones at refill instead of buying just one set of empty OEMs?

M

macbroom

I would have agreed with the general opinions on the subject of refilling 225/226 carts until they made the carts out of black plastic. The writing is on the wall....Canon is pissed at the refillers. I can't comment on if the 220 carts are black in Canada now but I was looking for a 1-2 year solution to my printing needs. I decided to go with a well made clear refillable for several reasons. First, I wanted an easier solution than the ball drill/pull/fill/hot glue/duct tape method that I used on my original MG 6120. Second, I wanted a cart that I could keep an eye on ink levels due to Canons tendency to fry if they run dry. I my get burned as the hat so undiplomatically pointed out in response to my posts but I have 2 of these now so I am willing to take a risk on one of them to find a fuss free solution that doesn't involve scales , toothpicks (used on printer #2) and hot glue.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
macbroom
I dont know what I have done or said to get such a negative response from you.
I have only given you the facts and a number of alternative ways to refill your OEM cartridges successfully that's all.

My only negative comments as far as I can see were towards the refillable compatible cartridges
and not directed at you personally.

So I would strongly suggest that you keep your misguided comments to yourself
and refrain from their use in future posts thank you..
Happy Printing. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
gigigogu wrote:
I fully agree. Now I have printers with all types of cartridges from BCI-6 to 525/526 and refill seems equally easy for all models.
If you refilled the 525/526 cartridges, could you please give some details about your method ?

I promised to report back on my tests, so here is my first report. Even if it was a failure and somewhat embarrassing I think reporting failures could be of value to others. "Don't try this at home"

I have done a test topfilling a CLI-521 M with the windows blacked out by tape. I wanted to test topfilling by using a toothpick as dipstick and topfilling by weight, as suggested in post #22 item 2 and 3 by stratman.

My theory was that topfilling using dipstick method would work but be a bit cumbersome. Knowing the weight of a new CLI-521-M as ready to use, without the orange clip and the vent seal is 20.2 grams according to my scale, I thought topfilling by weight was the way to go. It probably is, but not the way I did it.

I attached a SquEasyFill lid and a blunt 18 gauge 1.5" needle to a 250 ml bottle of IS Magenta 6121D ink intended for the CLI-8 M and CLI-x21 M cartridges. I put the cartridge on the scale after having placed it in a storage clip and having removed the topfill sealing plastic ball. I had not sealed the vent. The scale was zeroed on a storage clip before placing the cartridge on it. All that remained was adding ink to the cartridge to get weight back up to 20.2 grams.

When I turned the bottle upside down to fill some ink into the cartridge, a few drops of ink fell on top of the cartridge. I cleaned the top of the cartridge and tried to clean the fill hole as well. After adding a little ink to the cartridge I tried to measure the ink level in the cartridge but ink still left at the sides of the fill hole stained the toothpick so I couldn't measure the ink level. After more cleaning of the fill hole I was able to measure the ink level, but this was very cumbersome, so I sealed the vent and added ink till the weight was 20.2 grams. I then sealed the cartridge using a low-profile plug and a piece of aluminium tape as an extra guard against leaking.

Peeling away the tape revealed that the ink chamber was not completely filled and ink had penetrated the top sponge all the the way to the top.
I made at least two errors:

The first error was using the SquEasyFill bottle in a way that was never intended. Of course a bottle turned upside down will drip, with or without a needle attached, especially when it contains some air. I should have told myself. To be fair to websnail I did a test using the system to do a German refill on a PGI-5 BK in the way intended. I first inserted the needle in the cartridge, then attached the needle to the bottle. Used this way the system performs flawlessly.

The second error was not sealing the vent from start. The idea of not sealing the vent from start when topfilling is to add a little ink to re-surate the sponges, after that you seal the vent and proceed to fill the ink chamber and seal it. The cartridge used had only shown low by the printer, not empty so no reason to re-saturate sponges.

I have no previous experience with the topfill method, I have used the German method to refill BC-3/6 and PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges. My reason for choosing the German method was fear of leaking due to an imperfect sealing of the topfill hole. I have also filled a few transparent cartridges using ghwellsjr's Freedom method.

I made a new topfill test using a syringe and a thinner needle 2" 21 gauge. After filling the syringe and removing air only one drop slowly appeared. After wiping the needle there was no further dripping. I then topfilled a flushed and dried BCI-6 Y cartridge. The cartridge was not blacked out with tape. I attached the cartridge to a storage clip. With the vent open I filled in 10-15 mm or 1/2" of ink into the ink chamber. Most of this ink was absorbed into the lower sponge. I then sealed the vent and filled the ink chamber. Finally the ink chamber was sealed using a low profile plug and a layer of aluminium tape.

This second test without spilling indicates that when done properly, topfilling by weight could be an easy way of dealing with the opaque cartridges. I will do a new test when the next PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridge is empty or low.

Kspeed55 wrote:
I did read that the 220 series cartridge is now opaque like the 225 series.
I have 2 sets of new OEM PGI-520/CLI-521 and 2 spare printheads for my MP 540, obtained at a bargain price by buying 2 Pixma 3600 from a discount supermarket.

When looking at the new cartridges they appear to be opaque except for the yellow. Looking closer reveals that they are windowed. This will also show clearly, when some ink is used from the cartridges. I wonder if these seemingly opaque cartridges are the cause of the rumour? The cartridges show no manufacturing date, so I cannot tell if they are early windowed cartridges, and later versions are windowless.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK peter try this idea with the opaque 526 cartridge next time youre refilling.
Remove the plug from the top and put a syringe with a needle on into the cartridge
and suck out any ink remaining in the reservoir now you know that that side of the cartridge is completely empty.

Then fill the syringe with exactly ten ml. and inject ink into the cartridge slowly till it begins to over flow,
suck just a little ink out of your cartridge clean and reseal it.

If you check and see how much ink is still left in your syringe then
youll know how much to use the next time and avoid any spillage..:)

M

macbroom

The Hat said:
macbroom
I dont know what I have done or said to get such a negative response from you.
I have only given you the facts and a number of alternative ways to refill your OEM cartridges successfully that's all.

My only negative comments as far as I can see were towards the refillable compatible cartridges
and not directed at you personally.

So I would strongly suggest that you keep your misguided comments to yourself
and refrain from their use in future posts thank you..
Happy Printing. :)
I am using a different method of refilling than you are and it is obviously one YOU disapprove of as you indicated in post #13. I can respect that but then you continued to troll my posts. According to you I have a reading comprehension problem, fail to understand simple ideas, should have my mouth duct taped (emoticon), and now am misguided.

If anyone needs to refrain from anything it is you fine sir.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
If you refilled the 525/526 cartridges, could you please give some details about your method ?
To be able to see something inside the cartridge I removed the label on top of spongeless side, with care not to unseal the air maze.
This way, placing the cartridge against a source of light I can see if there is still ink in reservoir, or if it there are air/bubbles on top of reservoir.
I refill when the printer shows the cartridge is empty (I have access to a resetter).
For refill I am using regular German method, keeping the cartridge/syringe ensemble almost vertical.
I inject about 6 ml for dyes and 10 ml for PGBK.
Under fill is signaled by air/a lot of bubbles on top of reservoir, after removing the syringe.
Overfill is signaled by outlet port becoming "wet" during refill.

It is fast, clean and I have not had any problems yet (over 100 refills).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much gigigogu. Excellent post! :thumbsup

Thank you for details and confirming the German method with an adaptation is good for refilling opaque cartridges. :)

If others are also successfully refilling the opaque cartridges, please post some details about the method used.

I'm still waiting for the next cartridge to require refill, so I can do the tests suggested by The Hat in posts #26 and #35.

In the meantime, here are the weights for a set of new and unused OEM PGI-520/CLI-520. The weights are without the vent seal and the orange clip. Note those are the windowed cartridges. I don't know if the the weights of the opaque cartridges are different. I used a small inexpensive digital scale, brand "Made in China" max. load 500 grams and division 0.1 gram. No accuracy is specified.

PGI-520 PGBK: 35.3 grams, CLI-521 C: 20.3 grams, CLI-521 M: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 Y: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 BK: 20.4 grams.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PeterBJ said:
weights for a set of new and unused OEM PGI-520/CLI-520. The weights are without the vent seal and the orange clip. Note those are the windowed cartridges. I don't know if the the weights of the opaque cartridges are different. I used a small inexpensive digital scale, brand "Made in China" max. load 500 grams and division 0.1 gram. No accuracy is specified.

PGI-520 PGBK: 35.3 grams, CLI-521 C: 20.3 grams, CLI-521 M: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 Y: 20.2 grams, CLI-521 BK: 20.4 grams.
Thank you for the weights PeterBJ. :thumbsup

kspeed55

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I ended up buying an MX 882. I finally found refill instructions on You Tube. If anyone runs on to instructions elsewhere, I would appreciate your posting them here. I will see if I can get my iP4200 to work with Windows 7 when I get my new computer (hopefully this week). All I need now is a way to part out my iP4200 (have run cases of paper through this one and its getting worn) and use that to fix my MX850 (has had only reams of paper through it). Thanks to all for all of the interesting information.