Modifying Canon MX700 for CISS

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
I never installed any printheads, just cartridges.
Typically a new Canon printer will ship with the printhead "loose" in a sealed bag. The end user installs it as part of the setup. Maybe the MX700 ships with the printhead pre-installed ?
On any of my Canons, it would take me just a few seconds to remove the printhead after the carriage had centered. They are usually that accessible....one of the beauties of the Canon design.

Anyone have a diagram or know where I can download a sevice manual? I could not find one on Canon's site.
You won't find these in the consumer stream. I've gotten mine on eBay for about $10.00.

I just boiught the cartridges from Newegg but can cancel the order and just get a MX850 for a bit more. Sounds like a better printer. I hate to spend money on cartridges I cannot use unless I buy another MX700 and those are about the same price.
Relax.
MX700 and MX850 are both CLI-8 printers....inks are interchangeable. In addition, MX850 also use photo black.
This stuff is easy....just look before you jump.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
I could not cancel the order as it shows "Shipped". I guess they work Sundays! Anyway, I will poke around in the printer and see if I can clean it without screwing it up. However, when Iwas cleaning it last time, a strip of foam about a foot long and a 1/4" wide came out soaked. I wonder if this is a replaceable item and used to wipe the print heads. Not sure.
My guess the piece of foam may be part of the waste ink tank. But the waste ink foam is so deep inside the printer. Usually it is hard to get at without disassemble the case.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wish I could figure out how to disassemble the printer. I have been looking this thing over for quite some time without a clue. I would really like to clean it properly.

Are the printheads part of the carriage that the cartridges plug into?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
No, the printhead is not part of the carriage. You can follow in reverse the directions of your manual to remove it (pull the lever next to the printhead). Disassembly of a multifunctional without instructions is difficult. There is a german article on the disassembly of an older model, but nothing on the MX700.

jflan, all *new* Canon printers come with the printer separate and the users should install it.

In any case, Lonestar, if you buy the MX850, don't use the cartridges you've tried on the broken MX700 (if it is indeed broken). I trust you aren't going to use anything but original Canon cartridges. These are the ones that can be safely refilled with the German method. 3rd party cartridges are often very poorly designed & manufactured.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
panos said:
jflan, all *new* Canon printers come with the printer separate and the users should install it.
OK, having cleared that up....lonestar, you have already dealt with the printhead unless you bought the MX700 used. As panos says, just unlatch it and see to it that its contacts and the harness (machine) contacts are clean.
Verify that the aforementioned two pairs of contacts are clean.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It had been so long since I set it up I forgot. I found the Setup Guide and indeed, the printhead just snaps into the back where the cartridges sit. I removed it and cleaned. The contacts had no ink on them as they face the rear and are not down where the ink could get on them. The bottom where it prints I gently cleaned with alcohol. Then I cleaned where the ink enters on the other side. Then I cleaned the cart where everything fits. Put everything back in and still none of the inks light up and the printer says it does not recognize any of them.

Even though I might have mixed up the chips, it did recognize all but the magenta at one time. I then cleaned removed the inks and cleaned in the cart with special attention to the area the chips would contact. I could have shorted something out.

So my plan is to:

1) Try the new cartridges when they arrive
2) If it works, good.
3) If it doesn't, get an MX850
4) Use the German method.

Sound about right at this point?

Oh, and anything I should do to protect the printhead? I replaced it into the printer after cleaning, but will it dry out or anything without ink in there?

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dang it. Newegg no longer carries the MX850. :(

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
It had been so long since I set it up I forgot. I found the Setup Guide and indeed, the printhead just snaps into the back where the cartridges sit. I removed it and cleaned. The contacts had no ink on them as they face the rear and are not down where the ink could get on them. The bottom where it prints I gently cleaned with alcohol. Then I cleaned where the ink enters on the other side. Then I cleaned the cart where everything fits. Put everything back in and still none of the inks light up and the printer says it does not recognize any of them.

Even though I might have mixed up the chips, it did recognize all but the magenta at one time. I then cleaned removed the inks and cleaned in the cart with special attention to the area the chips would contact. I could have shorted something out.

So my plan is to:

2) If it works, good.

Oh, and anything I should do to protect the printhead? I replaced it into the printer after cleaning, but will it dry out or anything without ink in there?
Have you clean the chip contacts at the printhead carrier? There are 4 sets of contacts. They are at the front of the printhead carrier. You need to look straight down from the carrier to see the contacts. But the MX700 cover only opens halfway. You may not be able to look straight down.

Options:
1. You may need a dentist tiny mirror to view these contacts.
2. Dis-engage the hinge so that you can open the cover to allow you to look straight down at the carrier.

Good luck!

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
Dang it. Newegg no longer carries the MX850. :(
Search your local Kijiji or Craiglist ads for people selling them. But it will take time. Most of the time, the printhead is clogged. But people on this forum can give you a hand.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:

So my plan is to:

2) If it works, good.

1. The contact cleaning regimen sounds good and thorough.
2. All bets are off until known good carts are installed.
3. Never leave a printhead "uncovered" for longer than the few seconds it takes to change out carts.
You could just snap in whatever carts you have or being more prudent you could eyedropper on a drop or two of distilled water per each printhead inlet port and then snap in the carts.