Modifying Canon MX700 for CISS

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You used a rag to soak up the ink in the printhead. Ink may be accidentally dropped onto the electronic contacts that read the chips on cartridges while the printer is ON. This is a concern. But let put the printer back to the original state before continue our troubleshooting...

Let put the chips back to the Canon OEM cartridges. The chips are color specific. Please don't put the chip in the wrong color. Put the Canon OEM cartridges in the printer. Turn it on.

1. Are all cartridges light lit up? Any cartridge with flashing light?
2. Is there any error message on the LCD display?
3. If everything is okay, do a printhead deep cleaning to make sure that the print nozzles are prime with ink.
4. Do a nozzle check. If it is not correct, please scan it and post it here.

Good luck.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jflan said:
LoneStarMBA said:
I am considering the MX250 because it is only $115 at Newegg.
You mean MX850 ??
Yes, that is it. Sorry for the typo.

Costco.com has the MX860 for $160 shipped. That comes with a 90 no-questions-asked return and 2 year warranty.

However, I agree with you not to give up on the MX700. We use it mainly for BW printing, with kids doing the color printing and wife doing copying. Never used it for photographs as we just go online to order prints through Costco for pickup. However, one daughter is saving up for a professional-quality camera and when we reach that point, we will invest in a professional-quality printer. But for now, it is trying to get the cost per page down as much as possible. As much as I would love to just get a new one, if I really have not ruined this one, I should try to fix it.

Should I buy new cartridges and see if they work? If they do, then follow the German method?

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
embguy said:
You used a rag to soak up the ink in the printhead. Ink may be accidentally dropped onto the electronic contacts that read the chips on cartridges while the printer is ON. This is a concern. But let put the printer back to the original state before continue our troubleshooting...

Let put the chips back to the Canon OEM cartridges. The chips are color specific. Please don't put the chip in the wrong color. Put the Canon OEM cartridges in the printer. Turn it on.

1. Are all cartridges light lit up? Any cartridge with flashing light?
2. Is there any error message on the LCD display?
3. If everything is okay, do a printhead deep cleaning to make sure that the print nozzles are prime with ink.
4. Do a nozzle check. If it is not correct, please scan it and post it here.

Good luck.
Oh crap. I think it was on when I cleaned it out. Because that is how I would get the cartridge tray to the center.

Oh crap again. I mixed the chips up by accident. I had them all lined up and then bumped the table and they bounced everywhere. I was hoping they were all the same. Doh! Any way to tell them apart? They look the same. If not, should I just go pick up some new cartridges?

1. After cleaning, nothing lit up. Completely dark
2. "The following ink tank cannot be recognized." Just shows all the inks. Nothing blinking.
Cannot do 3 or 4.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the MX860 is a lower quality printer and its cartridges are smaller and can't be (currently) reset.

I'd be interested in your follow up to embguy.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
jflan said:
LoneStarMBA said:
I am considering the MX250 because it is only $115 at Newegg.
You mean MX850 ??
Yes, that is it. Sorry for the typo.

Costco.com has the MX860 for $160 shipped. That comes with a 90 no-questions-asked return and 2 year warranty.

However, I agree with you not to give up on the MX700. We use it mainly for BW printing, with kids doing the color printing and wife doing copying. Never used it for photographs as we just go online to order prints through Costco for pickup. However, one daughter is saving up for a professional-quality camera and when we reach that point, we will invest in a professional-quality printer. But for now, it is trying to get the cost per page down as much as possible. As much as I would love to just get a new one, if I really have not ruined this one, I should try to fix it.

Should I buy new cartridges and see if they work? If they do, then follow the German method?
Whoaaa! Don't touch the MX860....it's a different animal to put it kindly.

When doing your troubleshooting on the MX700 you want to minimize variables. That means whatever it takes, use known good carts. Carts that have been tampered with may add confusion to the mix.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
Oh crap. I think it was on when I cleaned it out. Because that is how I would get the cartridge tray to the center.
Yep, at this point always unplug the machine when the carriage is brought to center for extended service. It's OK to leave it plugged in for a quick cartridge change, however.

Oh crap again. I mixed the chips up by accident. I had them all lined up and then bumped the table and they bounced everywhere. I was hoping they were all the same. Doh! Any way to tell them apart? They look the same. If not, should I just go pick up some new cartridges?
Yikes! Yes, do yourself a favor and get some new carts.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I did not know that about the MX860. Without really looking into the specs at this point, I just assumed that an 860 model would be an improvement over an 850.

I will head out and pick up some cartridges. Then I will know if it is dead or not.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
I did not know that about the MX860. Without really looking into the specs at this point, I just assumed that an 860 model would be an improvement over an 850.

I will head out and pick up some cartridges. Then I will know if it is dead or not.
Sounds good.
Before installing the new carts ensure that all *contacts are clean and dry if you suspect that they may have gotten contaminated.

*contacts
1. cartridge to printhead
2. printhead to printhead seat (this is the terminus of the harness that goes to the logic board)
You probably noticed this zone when you were installing the printhead.

Even oils from your skin can degrade these contacts so avoid touching them. I use isopropyl alcohol 91% + and a Q-Tip.
Don't leave any cotton fibers behind.

Lighting up the printer with wet contacts in either zone is usually fatal.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I never installed any printheads, just cartridges.

Anyone have a diagram or know where I can download a sevice manual? I could not find one on Canon's site.

I just boiught the cartridges from Newegg but can cancel the order and just get a MX850 for a bit more. Sounds like a better printer. I hate to spend money on cartridges I cannot use unless I buy another MX700 and those are about the same price.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I could not cancel the order as it shows "Shipped". I guess they work Sundays! Anyway, I will poke around in the printer and see if I can clean it without screwing it up. However, when Iwas cleaning it last time, a strip of foam about a foot long and a 1/4" wide came out soaked. I wonder if this is a replaceable item and used to wipe the print heads. Not sure.