Modifying Canon MX700 for CISS

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Got a bit of a problem. I have a Canon MX700 and bought a CISS for it.
p280MX700-f-1.jpeg

124273392_tp.jpg

Problem is, the ink moves under a plastic cover at each end of its travel. With the CISS tubes on there, it does not appear that they will clear it and will end up getting pinched. I am prepared to get out the Dremel and mod my printer by cutting a bit of that plastic out of the way. It does not look like it would affect the printer performance in any way. However, I cannot figure out how to disassemble it. Basically, I need to remove the hinged top half. Anyone got a exploded view of the printer or steps on how to do this?

Thanks!

Charles

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If I'm reading the kit parts correctly you have a full height set of cartridges which is frankly going to cause you all manner of problems.

Rather than trying to make this work by modifying your printer I'd advise you to consider an alternative kit with reduced height cartridges so that you don't have to modify anything. I know Rihac have this type of cartridge but there will be other suppliers too.

Having had an MX700 I can attest to the problems you face, the main one being the slight drop in plastic casing to the left side which would catch and jam the tubing and connectors that are located at the front of the cartridges.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I ruined my printer. Ink went everywhere as I tried repeatedly to install these. Now it will not recognize any cartridges! I think I am just going to junk it all and start over. Maybe even just be happy with a monochrone laser. Unless someone can recommend a quality CISS and inexpensive inkjet.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Do you really need a CIS on a multifunctional ? Refilling these four cartridges with the german method and a redsetter is so easy and reliable that makes a CIS obsolete in most cases.

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Not sure. I am new to inkjets actually and experienced sticker shock at the replacement cost of cartridges. What is the German method? I have a chip resetter that came with the CISS kit.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
I think I ruined my printer. Ink went everywhere as I tried repeatedly to install these. Now it will not recognize any cartridges! I think I am just going to junk it all and start over. Maybe even just be happy with a monochrone laser. Unless someone can recommend a quality CISS and inexpensive inkjet.
Don't give up so easily! I don't think there is any electronic boards below the carriage area. I am not saying it will be easy. You need to disassemble the case and do the cleaning...

1. Have you cut the MX700 case? If yes, how careful are you preventing debris from getting inside the printer internals?
2. Is the printhead carriage still moving freely without the CISS stuff?
3. Is your MX700 recognize any original cartridges? If yes, which one?
4. Do you have the service manual?
5. Is there any ink coming out of the bottom of your MX700?
6. Is there any ink got onto the printhead electronic contacts at the back of the printhead and the circuit board contacts on the printer? If yes, clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol.
7. Take a closer look at the printhead cartridge. Is there any ink got onto electronic contacts for the ink cartridge chips? There will be 4 sets of contacts, one set for each cartridges. Clean these contacts with rubbing alcohol.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
And keep in mind you'll never get good photos with the MX700 (its great for business documents though) because blacks will never be true blacks. This model does not use its black cartridge for photos -- it's only meant for text on plain paper. So, all this trouble may lead you to buy a better multifunctional such as the MX850.

German method: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/the-german-durchstich-refill-method.php (many users, including me, are using it with great success)

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
embguy said:
Don't give up so easily! I don't think there is any electronic boards below the carriage area. I am not saying it will be easy. You need to disassemble the case and do the cleaning...

1. Have you cut the MX700 case? If yes, how careful are you preventing debris from getting inside the printer internals?
I did not cut anything as I figured out how to get just the right tub length and mounting point.
2. Is the printhead carriage still moving freely without the CISS stuff?
Yes
3. Is your MX700 recognize any original cartridges? If yes, which one?
I used the chips from the original cartridges so no. What happened is that all CISS cartridges lit up but the magenta blinked and I got an error message that it was not recognized. So I pulled them all out and tried the resetter again and put them back in. Same problem. So I pulled them out and dabbed in there with a rag. Full of ink. Cleaned as best I could. Put them back in and no lights on the cartridges. Says and error 1500 I believe. Got disgusted with myself at this point.
4. Do you have the service manual?
No. Jus the user manual.
5. Is there any ink coming out of the bottom of your MX700?
No.
6. Is there any ink got onto the printhead electronic contacts at the back of the printhead and the circuit board contacts on the printer? If yes, clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol.
Not sure where the printhead components are exactly. I tried cleaning where the chips would contact with rubbing alcohol.
7. Take a closer look at the printhead cartridge. Is there any ink got onto electronic contacts for the ink cartridge chips? There will be 4 sets of contacts, one set for each cartridges. Clean these contacts with rubbing alcohol.
Where is it located?

LoneStarMBA

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
panos said:
And keep in mind you'll never get good photos with the MX700 (its great for business documents though) because blacks will never be true blacks. This model does not use its black cartridge for photos -- it's only meant for text on plain paper. So, all this trouble may lead you to buy a better multifunctional such as the MX850.

German method: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/the-german-durchstich-refill-method.php (many users, including me, are using it with great success)
THanks! If I have to chuck this CISS and printer I will do the German method with the new printer. Hate to throw away what was a perfectly good printer, though.

I am considering the MX250 because it is only $115 at Newegg.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
LoneStarMBA said:
I am considering the MX250 because it is only $115 at Newegg.
You mean MX850 ??
Newegg had some MX850 recerts but they are presently sold out.
Before you pull the trigger on a different model, post it here and let the members comment.

And I agree, don't give up on the MX700....I can't believe you've done fatal damage.

Edit:
CanonUSA store has MX850 recerts for $129.99 +S&H ($12.00 to my location)
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...n=12054&top_category=12054&pageView=&subCat=Y

Elsewhere they can still be found NIB for $199.99 (Buy.com, Office Depot, etc.)
This model is out of production and supplies are dwindling.