iP7250 Service Mode

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought this printer last year after my mg5250 gave up, i've just replaced the printhead on this one after a very short time just under a year according to the readout. The yellow refused to print, couldn't clear it despite repeated cleaning in isopropanol.
It was cheaper to replace the printhead than buy a new printer and replace my re-fill carts as they weren't compatible with the new model.
Just completed a full scan (all drives) with subscription Kaspersky internet security, no threats detected.
Could be false positive?
Attached is the eeprom printout for my current ip7250

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_0001.jpg
    IMG_20200309_0001.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 487

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the info. It is seen from the EEPROM print that the firmware version is 1.111 and the install date is April 9th 2019. So that proves that my ideas about firmware versions determining if service tool v3200 can be used were wrong.

I think the old print head fell victim to the "Yello Gello" problem if you are refilling or using third party cartridges. See this.

If the Kaspersky program did not find any malware in the downloaded service tool, will it then be able to find an infection caused by the probably dangerous service tool?

I'm using the subscribed AVG Internet Security on my main computer. AVG also cleared the downloaded file, I also have the free versiom of Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) installed. This program flagged the downloaded file and wanted to quarantine it. After having moved the service tool to a USB pen drive, I scanned my main computer and neither AVG nor MBAM found anything. I unpacked the downloaded zip archive but only scanned the files, I did not attempt to open them.

Googling the findings from various Antimalware programs on Virustotal gives no definitive answer if the service tool is safe or not. Here is a typical answer. So the answer seems to be a big maybe.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Regarding the scan, i scanned the zipped file then unpacked it and scanned the resulting 2 files and finally scanned the whole pc after using the tool. Result was no threats detected. I don't know what else i could do, Kaspersky seems to have a fair detection rate and rating apart from the American/Russky kneejerk scare a while ago.
Incidentally I'm using auto-reset carts that have had nothing but Octoinkjet ink in them from new, how does that fair with the yellow jello syndrome?

Just re-tested tool v3200 and it does re-set my IP7250 so probably the safer one to use.
v3200 only consists of 1 exe. file whereas v4720 has 2 files one an exe. file the other a .dll don't know if that's significant.

p.s Kaspersky Internet security 2019 (that's what I'm using) has a great detection rate for virus and particularly malaware according to reviews I've read. False positive rate was 0.01% almost unheard of low level apparently.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Kaspersky Internet security 2019
Install and keep Malwarebyte as well. The free version is great and may identify issues other apps do not. It can also eradicate malware. It may save your buttocks one day, including if you get infected by ransomeware.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Regarding filling auto re-set carts with Octoinkjet dye based ink. Do i need to flush out the carts before re-filling and if so with what. I have used isopropanol for head cleaning before but that seems to have become very expensive since the last time I bought it. The carts have only ever had Octoinkjet dye based in them from new.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The theory is that the "Yello Gello" forms when remnants of yellow OEM ink reacts with refill ink or even water in the cartridge. If the refill cartridge has never contained OEM ink there should be no risk of the "Yello Gello" forming.

But if the cartridge has caused problems with ink starvation flushing might be needed. Pure isopropanol is not suitable for flushing the cartridges as the inks are water based and not alcohol based and pure isopropanol is water absorbent. That means it can extract water from ink and instead of clearing clogs can make them worse or even cause new clogs to form.

A diluted alcohol as found in a window cleaner with ammonia or pharmacist's conditioning and cleaning fluids is much better. Even plain water is better than pure alcohol for flushing the cartridges and cleaning printheads.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here is a test I made a few years ago. The left test tube contains a few drops of magenta ink in a few ml of demineralized water, the right test tube contains a few drops of the same magenta ink in a few ml of pure isopropanol/ isopropyl alcohol. Notice the ink is perfectly dissolved in the water but has precipitated in the alcohol, I think this illustrates well that a pure alcohol is not a good printhead and cartridge cleaner:

Ink water and IPA.jpg

Last edited:

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm confused, isoproponal not good, water not good. What's left to use?
Is de-ionised water safe as you dont seem to see distilled anymore?
With the last yellow print blockage i did notice some wispy looking strands in the cart reservoir and it had only ever had Octoink dye based in it and never flushed with anything.
I've read stuff about using something called Windex, but that's American brand i think and even then someone wrote that it leaves a residue. I've seen original formula Windex on Ebay at £9 for 23 fl.oz, quite expensive.
So many solutions/opinions anybody got a tried and trusted solution?(forgive the pun)

Suggested solution that link led to.
-3 ml propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerol)...............2 types vg and pg which one?
-20 ml isopropylalcohol
-distilled water up to 100 ml............is de-ionised ok to use?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Demineralized or de-ionised water is a perfectly safe substitute for distilled water for technical purposes. Both the vg and pg (Vegetable Glycerin and Propylene Glycol) can be used in pharmacist's cleaning and conditioning fluids. Both can be obtained from E-cigarette shops. If you can get Propylene Glycol, then it is preferable.

Notice that pharmacist uses isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol in the recipes, but not in a pure form but diluted to 20%. The diluted alcohol increases the cleaning power of the mixture. Pharmacist's cleaning and conditioning solutions are recommended by many members. The alcohol used when preparing the solution is pure, but the amount of alcohol in the finished solution is 20% by volume.

You might notice when preparing pharmacist's solution that the mixture gets slightly warm. This is normal. It is a normal reaction when diluting a pure alcohol.

A window cleaner with ammonia is also very good. Notice that the composition is similar to pharmacist's solutions.

Original Windex is not available in Europe, but I think almost any other window cleaner with ammonia is just as good . I use an "Ajax" window cleaner from Colgate-Palmolive as well as pharmacist's solutions. Here is a thread with a discussion of European alternatives to the "Original Windex"