1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Epson Stylus Pro 4900 Problem.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning solution: the ultimate test

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by pharmacist, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nov 28, 2010
    pharmacist

pharmacist Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro 3880, R3000, WF-7525
    Many forum members have enjoyed my formula to condition the sponge of Canon cartridges.

The formula is as follows:

-3 ml propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerol)
    -20 ml isopropylalcohol
    -distilled water up to 100 ml

The cleaning solution to free up clogged printheads is by adding 20-25 drops of concentrated ammonia to each 100 ml of cleaning solution.

Today I suffered from a tenacious clog in my Epson Pro 3800 in the magenta and cyan channel, caused probably by long term of non-usage and the very low humidity in my room because of the high heating since it is now freezing in Belgium. Even after 3 cleaning cycles the clog did not go away. In the past one cleaning cycle is enough to clean minor clogs. So today I folded a piece of towel paper into a nice thick and even strip and drenched it with my cleaning solution and put it under my printhead and let it soak for about 1 hour. After that I executed one cleaning cycle and...all the clogs are gone. Whow it works fantastic and the formula is very cheap to make.

Caboz, sony53, astecno and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nov 28, 2010
    Nifty

Nifty Printer Master Administrator

Printer Model:
    CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
    Fantastic info pharmacist, thanks for posting!

I've got a bunch of empty carts and have thought about taking one (probably yellow) purging / cleaning it our thoroughly, and then filling it with cleaning solution, and having it on hand for sticking it into position for when a set of nozzles seems to be plugged. From there I could run some good cleaning cycles using an actual "cleaning solution" vs. just a bunch of ink.

My questions for you (and anybody else):

1) What do you think of this idea?
    2) Which solution would you use to fill the cart, your "original" or your ammonia added?
    3) Would this solution be stable and okay for the cartridge if sitting inside, unused for a lengthy period of time?

3. Nov 28, 2010
    pharmacist

Printer Model:
    Hi Rob,

listen very carefully, for I shall say this only once.....:

1: yes you can, but store it in a airtight container to avoid evaporation
    2: for cleaning cartridge: use the one with ammonia
    3: yes very stable and can be kept for years since the concentration of the alcohol is high enough to become auto preservating (above 20 % no germs are able to grow in it and isopropanol is even more powerful compared to normal alcohol and the ammonia makes it extra hostile to potential germs to grow in it).

astecno likes this.
  4. Nov 28, 2010
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    What is abnormal alcohol? :p

I see you have increased the number of drops of ammonia by 4x-5x. Were you other posts typos (5 drops) or was there something that triggered the increased amount? Or did I transpose it incorrectly?

5. Nov 28, 2010
    qwertydude

qwertydude Printing Ninja

Sounds pretty much like Windex with alcohol added into it.

6. Nov 28, 2010
    Mowerman90

Mowerman90 Printer Guru

I was under the impression that the chip for a yellow cart would prevent it from being used in any location other than the yellow slot. This would mean that you'd have to have a "cleaning cart" for each individual color. Am I correct in this assumtion?

7. Nov 28, 2010
    pharmacist

Printer Model:
    Hi stratman,

normal alcohol: ethanol (or potable alcohol). I just forget to tell there is a difference in formula used in cartridges concerning the ammonia concentration: if used in cleaning cycle stick with 5 drops per 100 ml and when used to soak printheads externally increase it with 20-25 drops. I have discovered when the cleaning solution is used internally the concentration of 5 drops suffices for cleaning cartridges, but for externally soaking printheads the 5 drops does not seems to be strong enough and increasing it 4-5 fold makes the solution much more effective to soak printheads. This is based on emperical experiments.

astecno likes this.
  8. Nov 28, 2010
    embguy

embguy Printer Guru

You can use the same cleaning cartridge for different color if you want. But you need the chip for that color to be put on to the cleaning cartridge. Double sided tape is perfect to stick the chip onto the cartridge.

9. Nov 28, 2010
    zxcvbnm114

zxcvbnm114 Getting Fingers Dirty

Hmm, well I looked in the kitchen cupboard. What do you reckon on vodka, warm water and a dash of household ammonia. Dunk the printer head in and leave overnight. I have an old stopped up canon printer and am tempted.

10. Nov 29, 2010
    Nifty

Nifty Printer Master Administrator

Printer Model:
    CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
    I'm lucky... all my canon printers are pre-chipped versions, so I could use the same clearning cart cross all of them. With that said, I may just make up a few others so when I have a really stubborn plug I can run cleaning solution through all the colors instead of wasting the other non-stuck color inks just to unstick the one. :D