Cleaning solution: the ultimate test

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Pharmacist:

Thanks for the updated info. I increased the amount of ammonia a couple of months ago when I had a stubborn printhead clog. I left the printhead in the solution for three days, not on top of a drenched paper towel, and rinsed the printhead under water every day. My dye based clog improved but then I developed a pigment black ink issue. I think leaving it in the cleaning solution that long caused the new malfunction. One new printhead later and everything's perfect again.

Have a full set of carts ready for unclogging solution when it happens again. I also have more glycerin than I'll ever need in a lifetime! Any ideas on what else to use it for?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
nifty-stuff.com said:
I've got a bunch of empty carts and have thought about taking one (probably yellow) purging / cleaning it our thoroughly, and then filling it with cleaning solution, and having it on hand for sticking it into position for when a set of nozzles seems to be plugged.
If you make the mistake of purging your cartridge before filling it with cleaning solution, you will discover that you cannot tell if you have succeeded in unclogging your print head (because cleaning solution is like invisible ink) unless you constantly swap your cleaning cartridge with a regular cartridge, thus wasting a lot of ink.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You can use the glycerin as hand cream, make facial cream, use it as mild laxative (very sweet), but it will preserve for centuries to come without deteriorating. Pure glycerin is completely safe to drink, but will make you to the toilet more frequently.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would like to know what ink everybody is using to cause so many print head problems.
I dont purge or cleanout my cartridges at all and never have.
However if I do an sample ink test then I wash out the spare cartridge that I have as I never mix any 3rd party inks together..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Quick question... define "concentrated ammonia" ... what concentration are you using?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
25-30 % ammonia: this is concentrated ammonia. If you use household concentration, increase accordingly.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Very good clarification. I assume the same is true for isopropanol alcohol. Example: In our bathroom the container says "70% isopropanol alcohol", so I figure the same is true that I also need to increase the alcohol accordingly?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Rob
Have you being dipping into the dam alcohol again..(only 70% left)..:lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pharmacist said:
25-30 % ammonia: this is concentrated ammonia. If you use household concentration, increase accordingly.
Glad I checked..

Thanks for that information, obviously helps enormously...

As FYI for those following this... the standard household ammonia in the UK is 9% w/w (weight for weight )

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Many forum members have enjoyed my formula to condition the sponge of Canon cartridges.

The formula is as follows:

-3 ml propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerol)
-20 ml isopropylalcohol
-distilled water up to 100 ml
The cleaning solution to free up clogged printheads is by adding 20-25 drops of concentrated ammonia to each 100 ml of cleaning solution..
i live in the u.k what and where can i get concentrated ammonia. is it readily available to the public. sounds like it might a restricted sale type of thing