Cleaning solution: the ultimate test

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
if one “rejuvenates” a CLI-42 cart with this solution, would the expected final weight after the water & isopropyl evaporates be the same or different? Given glycerol should not evaporate, i expected the cart to weigh heavier than bone dry. CLI-42 bone dry is 13.5-13.6g, after I filled the cart with the rejuvenating fluid, let it sit overnight, drain/dry using ghwellsjr paper towel method, then weighed it 1d later and it was 13.63g.

I prepared 4x of the formula:
  • 8ml Glycerol
  • 80ml 91% Isopropyl
  • 320ml distilled water
thank you.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There are many mentions in this thread of pharmacist's cart conditioning formula, but I can't find the thread where he actually tells how to use it. I kind of got the impression that you just fill the cart with it then dry the cart. Is that correct?
Thanks

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
There are many mentions in this thread of pharmacist's cart conditioning formula, but I can't find the thread where he actually tells how to use it. I kind of got the impression that you just fill the cart with it then dry the cart. Is that correct?
Thanks
Check this video.

Ltroo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Xp 640, WF7610
Can cloudy ammonia (ammonia with a surfactant/soap mixed in) be used in pharmacist's formula to clean blocked printer head nozzles? In Australia we can't buy clear concentrated ammonia, only household grade (~2%) cloudy/sudsing ammonia. Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Can cloudy ammonia (ammonia with a surfactant/soap mixed in) be used in pharmacist's formula to clean blocked printer head nozzles
Rest assured, cloudy ammonia will do the same job.. :thumbsup

Ramagel

New Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L310
Many forum members have enjoyed my formula to condition the sponge of Canon cartridges.

The formula is as follows:

-3 ml propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerol)
-20 ml isopropylalcohol
-distilled water up to 100 ml

The cleaning solution to free up clogged printheads is by adding 20-25 drops of concentrated ammonia to each 100 ml of cleaning solution.

Today I suffered from a tenacious clog in my Epson Pro 3800 in the magenta and cyan channel, caused probably by long term of non-usage and the very low humidity in my room because of the high heating since it is now freezing in Belgium. Even after 3 cleaning cycles the clog did not go away. In the past one cleaning cycle is enough to clean minor clogs. So today I folded a piece of towel paper into a nice thick and even strip and drenched it with my cleaning solution and put it under my printhead and let it soak for about 1 hour. After that I executed one cleaning cycle and...all the clogs are gone. Whow it works fantastic and the formula is very cheap to make.
May i ask specific question, what did the ammonia does to clogged ink on a inkjet nozzle holes?