Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
At last found a sequence that works.

Pixma IP 7250 service mode

After entering service mode use service tool V3200

Turn off the device.

Press and hold the Resume button.

Press and hold the power button.

Release the resume button and press it briefly 5 times. The orange LED on the printer changes between on and off after each key press.

Release the power button.

After it stops flashing white you're in service mode, now open service tool v3200.

You'll now be able to edit absorber values etc.

Found on this German site (translated)
URL unfurl="true"]https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.druckerchannel.de/artik...k_bei_canon_pixma_ip7250_tauschen&prev=search[/URL]

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ouch i rejoiced too soon , gets you into service mode but wont set/save, you get error 009
I have several service tool versions and all give error 009 when you set/save.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Since the start of the thread more info about service mode operations on newer Canon printers has been found. The service tools v3600 and older can only be used on printers of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 and PGI-x25/CLI-x26 generations.

The use of these old service tools will cause lock of service mode if they are used with printers of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 generation or newer. For the iP7250 and other PGI-x50/CLI-x51 printers a service tool of at least version 4720 is needed.

If you have accidentally locked access to service mode by using an old service tool the only way to unlock service mode is to re-flash the EEPROM on the logic board with the proper file from a same type printer that has not had service mode locked. This needs an EEPROM programmer that can do in-circuit-programming and a proper file to re-flash. I think finding the proper file is more difficult than obtaining the programmer.

The Error 009 means that service mode operations cannot be executed due to a mechanical or electronic error in the printer.

Your link to the druckerchannel article doesn't work, but here is the original article and here a Google translation to English. I can think of two reasons that the druckerchannel staff had luck in resetting the iP7250. One is that early models had a firmware version that allowed the use of older service tools, another is that the use of an old service tool allows one service mode operation, the locking happens when the printer is turned off after service mode.

You find much more info in this post and this thread and this post and this thread. The latter post has a working link to a download of the service tool v4720, but notice the warning about possible malware.

To run the downloaded service tool you could disable your antivirus program or make an exception for the service tool, if you dare. I prefer to use a "Hardware service tool", an old Asus EEE Netbook with Win XP and no Antivirus. I use this old computer for this purpose only.

Here is proof that the service tool V4720 works with the iP7250, click to enlarge:

iP7250 testprint.jpg

And this, click to enlarge:

iP7250 eeprom print.jpg

And a screenshot from my "Canon Hardware Service Tool", click to enlarge:

STV4720.jpg

Printers newer than the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation need a service tool newer than the version 4720. These are not found on the web for free download but are sold for instance on E bay, see this and this.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Peter, when i used service tool v3200 on my ip7250 i could print out the 1st page of test print and also alter absorb waste ink Nos but not set.(error 009}
Regarding your link to v4720 , Chrome wont allow me to download it saying it's dangerous file. Pausing my Kaspersky security makes no difference either. Is there another link i might try.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Strange just tried v3200 Windows 10 (ip7250) again printed out all pages test eprom etc. left the region on Jpn and managed to alter absorber counter and set it ok!
Last time i changed region to eur, leaving it on jpn seems to have made a difference,.
service tool v3200 functions perfectly now!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Microsoft Edge and Google chrome refused to download the file, Firefox warned against the file, but I could override that and download the file. Opera downloaded the file without any problems.

It seems your ip7250 has got an early firmware version that works with service tool v 3200. I suggest to avoid version 4720 then to avoid possible malware.

The JPN button in the service tool is a region drop down menu. Leaving it at JPN meaning not clicking it makes no changes to the region, meaning leaving the iP7250 set at EUR,

I have had service mode locked on an MG5550 due to the use of service tool v3200 or v3400. The MG5550 is also of the PGIx50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Strange v3200 seems to function perfectly by setting the absorber value, but when i close the tool come out of service mode then re-start service mode and sevice tool the absorber count says 0 which it seems to be stuck on even after succesfully changing it to a higher test value and reloading. On reloading always says 0.
i've downloaded st4720 version but afraid to try it until necessary, i watched a youtube tutorial and it seemed you need a key?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The v4720 I linked to does not need a key. Other downloads of that version or newer service tools need a key that you will have to buy or maybe you can find a download with a key generator, I think that would be really risky.

Before deleting the downloaded v4720.zip files I scanned them. AVG Internet security found nothing in the zipped folder, but immediately quarantined the content when I tried to unzip the folder. Malwarebytes Antimalware quarantined the zipped folder.

If you don't have an old computer you would dedicate to service mode operations on canon printers only, I suggest to find an old harddisk and install a windows version XP or newer on that and use that disk for experimenting with risky programs. Don't connect to the internet with that disk, but transfer files using a USB stick.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Or... if you have Windows 10 Pro or better than you can use Microsoft's "free" Hyper-V virtual machine, or, use the free Oracle VM VirtualBox as long as your processor and OS support virtualization.

Once you have a virtual machine properly set up you can test software and try key generators without worrying about infecting your actual harddrive and OS. Think of the virtual machine as tin foil lining a pan that keeps the pan separate from mess. When you close the virtual machine you are back to using your regular OS and there is no trace of whatever you did or happened within the virtual machine.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
took a risk cos i have macrium reflect to restore my hard disk, ran v4720 got in to service mode set absorber lever and set ok. exited service mode and tool then re-entered service mode and tool again and absorber level was back to 0.
it seems that it always returns to absorber 0 reading even though i appear to have changed and successfully saved a new setting.