iP7250 Service Mode

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
There is one thing I forgot to mention: Tap water is not suitable for preparing pharmacists cleaning solution. Instead demineralized/de-ionized or distilled water should be used. The dissolved lime in tap water precipitates when mixed with ammonia or other base. See this for a more detailed explanation.

Artur5

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify 5150,Canon Pro10s
Here is a test I made a few years ago. The left test tube contains a few drops of magenta ink in a few ml of demineralized water, the right test tube contains a few drops of the same magenta ink in a few ml of pure isopropanol/ isopropyl alcohol. Notice the ink is perfectly dissolved in the water but has precipitated in the alcohol, I think this illustrates well that a pure alcohol is not a good printhead and cartridge cleaner:
What ink did you use in that test, dye or pigment. ?

I thought beforehand that only pigment ink would precipitate when diluted in pure isopropanol but dye ink does it as well. I did a test similar to yours, diluting a few drops of pigment and dye yellow inks in pure isopropanol. See picture below. At left it’s pigment (for Canon PGI-2500 carts). At right dye (for Canon CLI-8 carts)
Both show clear sedimentation. albeit dye ink seems to precipitate at a lower rate and the particles aren’t so compact as pigment, which is to be expected.
leftpg-rigthdy.jpg

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-10, Pro9500II, MAXIFY 5350
Interesting experiments !

I am not a chemist, but as I understand these alcohols are added to ink to lower the surface tension (needed to for small droplets). I could imagine also that certain colorant molecules have a water soluble part and another that solves better in alcohol.
I never considered to clean a printhead with 100% alcohol.

But I once ruined a perfectly good printhead by rinsing it under the tap (demineralized water for ironing is cheap, but you must not have forgotten to buy it).