Doubt on the flushing and cleaning procedures

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I dunno why but the sponge of the big cartridge do not want to became white/grey.
After more than 45 minutes the cartridge sometime continues to put out black water.
WTF is this? :(

For the small cartridges I lost less than 10 minutes.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried initially putting the cartridge under the falling jet of water with no good results.
Then I used a syringe of 10ml without the needle and I found it good with the little cartridges while with the big cartridge pig-520 something didn't work as expected.

The result is here below.

imagelipt.jpg
image1plf.jpg

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Radeon89 said:
I dunno why but the sponge of the big cartridge do not want to became white/grey.
After more than 45 minutes the cartridge sometime continues to put out black water.
WTF is this? :(

For the small cartridges I lost less than 10 minutes.
Putting the cart under running water works, but it is very slow and uses much more water than using a simple device such as the one shown in the link I gave you - check out my post #21 on that link. In that same thread there are other devices that do the same thing, and in some very recent threads there are other devices as well. You use less water and much less time. The small carts take no more than two minutes. The pigment-based ink carts don't clean as thoroughly as the dye-based ones with hot water. I've never used a solvent to try to clean them better. It seems that the gray residue doesn't prevent you from refilling and using these larger carts successfully.

I have no argument with a final rinse of distilled water. I just haven't done that and have had no ill effects from just tap water. There are many things in life that may or may not be entirely necessary, but if they cost little in cash and time and might prevent a more expensive problem you can consider taking that precaution.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Try filling the sponge/cart with Windex, then remove it (draw it out) with a paper towel in contact/rubber-banded to the outlet. You might be VERY surprised!

Wayne

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
turbguy said:
Try filling the sponge/cart with Windex, then remove it (draw it out) with a paper towel in contact/rubber-banded to the outlet. You might be VERY surprised!

Wayne
The next time I need to purge a black pigment-based cart I'll do that after a thorough hot water purge. So far, just the hot-water purge seemed satisfactory functrionally but left the sponge pretty gray. I'd rather try to get as much of the residue out of the sponge.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
turbguy wrote:

Wayne
To flush the Windex out of the cartridge I think only distilled/demineralized water should be used. Hydroxide ions formed by dissolving ammonia in water in the Windex reacts with Calcium ions in hard water and forms Calcium Hydroxide, which is not very soluble in water and precipitates. Ca2+ + 2OH- -> Ca(OH)2 The two bottles both contain a 1:1 mixture of a window cleaner with ammonia and water. The window cleaner in the left bottle is diluted with demineralized water, the window cleaner in the right right bottle is diluted with hard tap water. The Calcium hydroxide might clog the printhead, so if you prepare pharmacist's cleaning solution, only distilled/demineralized water should be used.

Click to enlarge:

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The PGI-521 cartridges are ready to be refilled.

I have just a concern about the weight of the PGI-520, which is his weight when it's empty and dried with ghwellsjr procedure?

Let me know ASAP. Thanks! :)