I need advice on refilling Canon CLI 251 ink cartridge CLI-251xl

Al Bundy's drinking buddy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ix6820
Hello and Happy New Year

I read this thread, it's similar to my question, only it refers to a different Canon printer. https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...g-to-refillables-pgi-550-cli-551.10724/page-2

This is my first post on here. I have a Canon ix6820 printer and I would like to just replace the CLI-251 Black ink cartridge with an empty cartridge and fill it with special (formulated for Canon) UV blocking black ink for making transparencies.

I purchased this ARC Empty Refillable set from ebay and I'm waiting to fill the "BK" cartridge with the expensive ink until I can be sure that I'll be able to use it.
5 EMPTY Refillable ink cartridge for canon PGI-250 CLI-251 ARC  copy 2.jpg

I don't have the other colors of ink to fill the rest of the empty cartridges. I don't really want to fill these with ink just so I can use the "BK" cartridge. If all these cartridges need to be used together, is there a safe fluid that I can fill the rest of the cartridges with instead of generic ink?

Also, nearly all of the aftermarket/generic ink that i've seen offered for the Canon ix6820 comes with CMY and 2 identical bottles of the same black ink. Are they telling you to put "DYE INK" in the "Pigment INK" tank?:oops:

When you buy the "pre-filled" generic cartridges from ebay, amazon, etc, do those come with "DYE INK" in the "Pigment INK" tank too?

If a single "ARC Cartridge" is unusable......

This will be a Gigantic Pain in the ASS, but I'm thinking of emptying a fresh authentic BK CLI-251 XL cartridge and refilling it with the uv blocking ink.

Or buy a used empty authentic cartridge and replace the chip. https://refillbay.com/product/replacement-chip-for-canon-cli-251.php

I'm also wondering, do "XL" replacement chips for an authentic Canon cartridge work on regular "non XL" authentic Canon cartridges?

Thank you in advance to anyone that chimes in

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The UV blocking ink might be pigment ink like this, so the PGI-250 XL cartridge might be better suited for the purpose. The ink might not be suitable for use with Canon printers with thermal print heads, only for Epson and other printers with piezoelectric print heads.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
This is my first post on here. I have a Canon ix6820 printer and I would like to just replace the CLI-251 Black ink cartridge with a special UV blocking black ink for making transparencies.
I purchased this ARC Empty Refillable set from ebay and I'm waiting to fill the "BK" cartridge with the expensive ink until I can be sure that I'll be able to use it.

I don't have the other colors of ink to fill the rest of the empty cartridges. I don't really want to fill these with ink just so I can use the "BK" cartridge. If all these cartridges need to be used together, is there a safe fluid that I can fill the rest of the cartridges with instead of generic ink?

Also, nearly all of the aftermarket/generic ink that i've seen offered for the Canon ix6820 comes with CMY and 2 identical bottles of the same black ink. Are they telling you to put "DYE INK" in the "Pigment INK" tank?:oops:

When you buy the "pre-filled" generic cartridges from ebay, amazon, etc, do those come with "DYE INK" in the "Pigment INK" tank too?

If a single "ARC Cartridge" is unusable......

This will be a Gigantic Pain in the ASS, but I'm thinking of emptying a fresh authentic BK CLI-251 XL cartridge and refilling if with the uv blocking ink.

Or buy a used empty authentic cartridge and replace the chip. https://refillbay.com/product/replacement-chip-for-canon-cli-251.php

I'm also wondering, do "XL" replacement chips for an authentic Canon cartridge work on a regular "non XL" authentic Canon cartridges?
Welcome to the forum :)

Lots of questions here... and some of them going into non familiar territory for me, so take my opinion with a grain or two of salt.

First of all, there some special inks, like sublimation and others, which are not compatible with Canon printheads and can be used only with Epson printers. I don’t know about this UV blocking black ink that you intend to use but, before trying, you should be sure that it won’t damage the printhead of your IX76820. Ask the supplier or search a bit on Internet.

You need to put ink in all the cartridges, otherwise the nozzles would be damaged. If by ‘safe fluid’ you mean something like transparent dye ink, I don’t know if it’s easily available but I doubt it. Probably you'd need to find a supplier willing to make custom inks in small amounts at a reasonable price, but maybe I’m wrong.

Yes, many third party vendors sell black dye ink instead of pigment. It’s cheaper and it won’t damage the nozzles of the pigment black channel. Of course, dye black is not water fast on plain paper and the black isn’t as deep as pigment.
Beware though, you can’t do it the other way around and use black pigment ink in the photo black cartridge. Probably it would clog the nozzles of the dye photo black channel.

Whether those prefilled ‘pigment’ black carts come with dye or pigment, the only way to know is to ask the vendor or try for yourself. As I said before, if you soak in water the sheet of plain paper, dye ink will smear. Pigment won’t.

I'm not really sure of what would happen if you swap a chip for XL cart with a another chip for non XL. Possibly the printer would be fooled or maybe it would trigger an error..

Regards

Al Bundy's drinking buddy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ix6820

[SIZE=3][B]Artur5[/B][/SIZE],

Artur5,
Thank you very much for the reply. I guess I'll just fill the other cartridges with ink.
I just remembered that I have 4 bottles of refill ink that are for the Canon 240 and 241 cartridges.
Canon 240 241 ink cartridges.jpg

Will the 240/241 refill ink work in my 250/251 cartridges or is that a completely different ink?

Can you recommend the safest/highest quality ink set to fill the 250/251 cartridges with? Once you start using generic ink, can you go back to using authentic?

Thank you so much again

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Your printer uses one PGI-250 Pigment Black cartridge and four CLI-251 Dye-based cartridges, filled with C/Y/M/Black.

In other words, you have a Pigment Black and a Dye-based Black cartridge.

You do not want to use Pigment ink in a cartridge that feeds a Dye-based color nozzles as the pigment particles may clog the nozzles.

You can use Dye-based ink in a cartridge that feeds Pigment nozzles - it may not clog but aftermarket inks are known to have poorer cooling properties for the heated nozzles in a Canon print head and may result in irreparable warping of the nozzles. You can use Quiet Mode to slow down the print heat and help dissipate
heat during printing.

nearly all of the aftermarket/generic ink that i've seen offered for the Canon ix6820 comes with CMY and 2 identical bottles of the same black ink. Are they telling you to put "DYE INK" in the "Pigment INK" tank?
I would need to see the advertisement.

I would avoid this ink if they do not offer both a Pigment Black and a Dye-based Black that your printer uses. If they are this sloppy or uncaring then the ink may be crappy as well. FYI - forum consensus is to avoid ink claimed to be "Universal".

do "XL" replacement chips for an authentic Canon cartridge work on regular "non XL" authentic Canon cartridges?
Chips function by keeping track of or extrapolating the volume of ink used. If you run out of ink and keep printing then you may permanently burn out nozzles of the print head. If the volume of ink that can be refilled in a Regular cartridge is the same as an XL cartridge then you should be fine.

Unless you know what volume of in the Regular and XL cartridges hold, avoid major headaches and/or expense and buy chip designed for the cartridge volume you own. Want to use XL cartridge then buy XL cartridges.

Forum consensus, preferentially use OEM Canon cartridges for refilling.

Forum wisdom - initial costs for refilling may be higher than you like but you'll get your return on investment as long as you use quality inks and cartridges. As in many things, use the right tools for the job.

Will the 240/241 refill ink work in my 250/251 cartridges or is that a completely different ink?
I don't know of any reason it won't work. The ink may be a different formulation and will not be as color accurate as the ink designed for your printer. Whether it is acceptable is up to you.

One caveat - Canon inks may rarely react to anything other than itself if you refill. The OEM CLI-42 Yellow cartridge sponge would form a "Yello Gello" that gummed up the sponge and nozzles after several refills with aftermarket ink. The only ways to avoid this was to either assiduously clean the sponge or uses a cartridge form a different model line (CLI-8) that was identical except for the chip (you had to swap the chip)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is my first post on here. I have a Canon ix6820 printer and I would like to just replace the CLI-251 Black ink cartridge with an empty cartridge and fill it with special (formulated for Canon) UV blocking black ink for making transparencies.
What I can see from your post above is, your trying to refill and print are the lowest cost possible, but that’s a very bad way to use an inkjet printer.

OEM carts and inks are expensive but they work and wont damage or foul up your printer and will give the very best prints when you use OEM paper.

When you try to offset these high costs you need to aim as high as you can when acquiring 3rd party inks and carts, if that’s the route you wish to take, the other alternative is prefilled aftermarket carts which eliminates the need to refill.

But whichever route you take, try to avoid purchasing inks from EBay, mostly that ink is not good and will damage your printer, there many sources where you can get quality inks (Just ask) but please remember refilling is an art and cant rushed or it will end in failure and a waste of money..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@Al Bundy's drinking buddy Do you need the special UV blocking ink for making transparencies for PCB making?

Maybe 10 years ago I made circuit boards using an inkjet printer and ordinary plain printer paper instead of expensive inkjet transparency material.

You mirror the PCB layout in a drawing or image handling program so the print will be in contact with the photo sensitive coating on the PCB material during exposure. You drip white spirit/mineral turpentine or kerosene onto the paper to increase the transparency. As the ink is water based it is not affected by the solvent. Keep the paper in tight contact with the PCB material with a sheet of glass and expose using a suitable UV light source.

You cannot use this method with a laser printer as the solvent will attack the toner.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Laser printers are better suited to make PCB than inkjets because toner can be transferred directly from the paper to the copper surface. No need to print a transparency, expose the board to UV lamp and develop it. Toner won’t be destroyed by the usual chemicals used for etching PCBs, provided you don’t use products that react too fast and/or overheat badly. Ferric perchloride ( not too concentrated ) is fine as it’s a diluted mix of hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide.
The trick is to learn the technique to transfer neatly the toner from the paper to the copper surface. It takes trial an error (time and time again.. ) to find the right type of paper and solvent.

Oh no !. It’s only January 2th and here goes my first off topic post of this year. :D

Last edited: