Help with Epson Stylus photo 1500W issue, clogged nozzles? It came suddenly out of nowhere.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Do as ink stained fingers and myself has proposed. If you cannot clear it with normal carts, then it is a major uphill battle thereafter. Good luck.
First mistake was a CISS for an inexperienced person. Sigh. Next was pigment ink in a dye ink machine for a newbie. Subbing pigment ink in especially in a CISS is not ideally for newbies. Fourth, not sure you know color management. Something necessary when subbing pigment for dye. Folks shoulkd learn to walk before they start running. They can research till their eyes pop out but nothing beats experience in walking before starting to run.

Gotta love the world of inkjet marketing!

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
This is not a very helpful comment and doesn't answer my questions (not that you are obligated to answer them). I'm just not learning anything new here. We all have to start somewhere, no? "They can research till their eyes pop out but nothing beats experience in walking before starting to run." Isn't this considered as experience? I'm learning from my "mistakes" even though I'm still not sure where exactly it went wrong since it was working fine for me. I came here to learn and ask questions because I couldn't find any answers anywhere else.
But thank you anyway for your time and help and your well wishing of good luck.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
I am new at this also and I thought and researched a CISS system (for another printer that died just before I made the decision) and found, like you, that they were wonderful while they worked. My research also found them to be finicky. I know, not helpful. My research also found that switching from dye to pigment could be "interesting", again not helpful.

You mentioned the "foamy pad." Use a paper towel and soak that mess up. That may allow a cleaning cycle, either started from the driver or printer, to work better. Do the cleaning cycles with Epson cartridges to eliminate any CISS issues that may exist.

Allow the printer to rest between cleaning cycles to allow the Epson ink to help clear the nozzles.

Print stuff to help get the ink flowing. I had a stuck nozzle on my current printer after switching to non-Epson inks for weeks that I could not get clear, but after printing a lot of non critical things it cleared itself.

Patience may be a virtue here.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@olynx, yes you came here for answers, you should also expect some criticism, I reckon that’s the way we all can learn from our mistakes, so my first bit of advice, don’t give up when you’re starting to make some progress.

If it were me, I’d dump the CISS altogether and accept it was a mistake, as was said, the marketing of these products is very convincing to a newbie, I have in the past used 6 CISS on various printers, but guess what, I’ve learned and moved on.

Get yourself another set or two of aftermarket dye filled cartridges, and print about fifty sheets (Copier) non-stop of something that will use each of the ink colours, then next day do the same again, but put the same paper back through the printer using the reverse side, then leave the printer standing an hour, and then print a nozzle check, it should be clear of all clogs. :fl

When you have got the printer back running normal again, that is the time to seek advice on the best way of reintroducing pigment inks to your printer but this time using cartridges.

So far, every responder has help you along the way with very good suggestion as to how to resolve your issues, but to print successfully you need to take the knocks, not personally, and suffer some financial loss alone the way, it’s called crawling before walking.

I would recommend you consider looking at a Canon Pro 9500 II or Pro 10, because they would suite you far better in many ways, one they are already pigment, and can be refilled very easily and 3rd party inks are readily available from many sources, but that’s for another day...

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
@apetitphoto thank you for sharing your experience, this is what I am doing now, printing things with the dye based inks to try to get the clogs out. Doing nozzle checks on regular basis. I cleaned up the foamy pad. I'm (and the printer) are taking a break for now. Time will tell.

@The Hat of course I expected some criticism, but this sounded more like a lecture on my ignorance, that I didn't need as I'm aware myself that this was maybe not the smartest choice.
It looks like the nozzle checks are slowly clearing up. So as already suggested I'm printing some images and doing nozzle checks.

I'm of course grateful for the good advice It helped me understand some things and in what direction to be headed because yesterday it was overwhelming and I didn't even know where to start. It's painful that it will cost me some money (it was also expected, this was already a big investment for me as I'm a poor freelancer.. this was an attempt to do some sales of my illustrations) but this is an experience and a lesson.

I will try to look into your suggestions (another day indeed), thank you for the recommendations!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I expected some criticism, but this sounded more like a lecture on my ignorance,
When I first joined in here, I was as stupid as a horses’ ass, and they don’t come any dumber than that, I knew every about commercial printing but feck all about these inkjet printers, but I soon learned to stop wasting my money listening to the experts on the Internet. (Printerknowledge accepted)

All our good advice here is free to those that want to listen, and we never try to sell you anything either.
Have you noticed no one has mentioned anymore about cleaning cycles, I also reckon you’ve done more than enough.

P.S. I have saved a fortune from been a member here, but I’ve become a Printaholic in the meantime, so I’m still broke and loving every moment..:love

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When I first joined in here, I was as stupid as a horses’ ass, and they don’t come any dumber than that, I knew every about commercial printing but feck all about these inkjet printers, but I soon learned to stop wasting my money listening to the experts on the Internet. (Printerknowledge accepted)

All our good advice here is free to those that want to listen, and we never try to sell you anything either.
Have you noticed no one has mentioned anymore about cleaning cycles, I also reckon you’ve done more than enough.

P.S. I have saved a fortune from been a member here, but I’ve become a Printaholic in the meantime, so I’m still broke and loving every moment..:love

@olynx, yes you came here for answers, you should also expect some criticism, I reckon that’s the way we all can learn from our mistakes, so my first bit of advice, don’t give up when you’re starting to make some progress.

If it were me, I’d dump the CISS altogether and accept it was a mistake, as was said, the marketing of these products is very convincing to a newbie, I have in the past used 6 CISS on various printers, but guess what, I’ve learned and moved on.

Get yourself another set or two of aftermarket dye filled cartridges, and print about fifty sheets (Copier) non-stop of something that will use each of the ink colours, then next day do the same again, but put the same paper back through the printer using the reverse side, then leave the printer standing an hour, and then print a nozzle check, it should be clear of all clogs. :fl

When you have got the printer back running normal again, that is the time to seek advice on the best way of reintroducing pigment inks to your printer but this time using cartridges.

So far, every responder has help you along the way with very good suggestion as to how to resolve your issues, but to print successfully you need to take the knocks, not personally, and suffer some financial loss alone the way, it’s called crawling before walking.

I would recommend you consider looking at a Canon Pro 9500 II or Pro 10, because they would suite you far better in many ways, one they are already pigment, and can be refilled very easily and 3rd party inks are readily available from many sources, but that’s for another day...

OH, it was also not mentioned why one needs to be careful about pigment ink and these isobaric CISSes over time. Settlement can be an issue causing blockages. Let Hat explain that one.
Ink stained fingers and myself keeps telling the person to try clear the head with normal carts but she is seeking a magic bullet.
Shoot the messenger.
There is also something very suspicious about the reservoir level as well. The amt of ink consumed for a first reset.
I'm out.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pot.gif~c200

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
@The Hat I should have come here earlier and asked questions before this "disaster" happened. Too late is too late, lesson learned, I won't be rushing in next time, even though I thought I "knew" enough when in fact I'm just John Snow.

@mikling I'm not "seeking a magic bullet", I'm following your advise, trying to clear the head with the cartridges that came with the printer. There's no need to be condescending, and your previous message wasn't helpful, you were only pointing out how ignorant I was.

There is also something very suspicious about the reservoir level as well. The amt of ink consumed for a first reset.

If it was suspicious, why didn't you ask that before? Or did I misunderstood your questions. The reservoir is so empty because I didn't dump the whole 100ml bottles into it. Was this one of my mistakes too?

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Coming here first might have been useful as there is a long thread on just this topic. But, like many resources it is difficult to know when you don't know...