Help with Epson Stylus photo 1500W issue, clogged nozzles? It came suddenly out of nowhere.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I regret that your nozzle problems are not solved yet, I would propose to make a cleaning attempt with the pull-push method as described here
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...n-nozzle-check-a-cure-maybe.11743/#post-99527
It is considered controversial, but it is/was helping me in several instances in the past.
Cleaners - nozzle rocket/miracle etc - don't expect too much, as discussed already there are so many different causes for a malfunction, and these liquids only can fix a very few, just be lucky if they work.
A CISS technically looks pretty simple but can cause lots of different types of problems, starting at installation or later, even years later - suddenly , just out of the sky. I have not seen all of the problems yet, but a lot, technically it's quite interesting what is happening but nevertheless very aggrevating if you just want to get some prints done.
Using pigment inks works - in lots of cases - but is a kind of off-use of the printer, a non-standard mode which needs more attention, gets more difficult after longer idle times, different profiles, gloss .
So I hope you can get the printer back working with refill cartridges with dye inks, and you may just use pigment inks with a separate set of refill cartridges which would make it easy to swap.
I was using pigment inks on a R265 for years with a CISS, but I had clogged cartridge filters, pigment settling in the reservoir and even a leaking tube , the plastic got weak apparently by the solvent.

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
Good news: printed many pages yesterday with original cartridges as The Hat suggested, tried a nozzle check this morning, came out slightly clogged, did a head cleaning from Epson Utility, did another nozzle check: looking good!! only one tiny gap in Magenta but I'm relieved. Thanks for all your help and advise!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Now choose you next steps carefully if you wish to switch back to using pigment inks once again, and which ever route you take please remember to print regularly, even if it’s only a nozzle check, an inkjet printers’ biggest enemy is idleness.
It’s great to hear your good news...:thumbsup

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
I think that first I'll do some good ol' reading on this forum before I make the switch again. Definitely won't make the mistake every again of letting my printer sit without any work.. It was a rough week!
Thanks again for the help!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to hear that the nozzle problems are effectively gone.
You were using pigment inks, probably for some reason that they may be the 'better' ink for the
paper you are using, or fade resistance or ....There are several threads on this forum to this subject, and
it is working indeed - in most cases, but pigment inks are more prone to clogging issues than dye inks and require some more attention for the printer like regular printing.
You were using a CISS, most likely for convenience reasons or making larger print jobs easier to handle, less refill interruptions. A CISS is expected to be a 'install and forget' piece of add-on euipment but comes with some of its own problems from installation to the actual use. You got it working but suddenly....All this was adding to the complexity of the problem.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
but pigment inks are more prone to clogging issues than dye inks and require some more attention for the printer like regular printing.
There are exceptions to that clogging rule, I found my Canon pigment printers to be less prone to clogs than the dye models are, I also once taught the pigment printers would clog more often, just see what I know...

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
I went for pigment inks for their archival quality as I am selling prints of my illustrations, but I think I will go with refillable cartridges instead of CISS next time. Better idea?

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
I went for pigment inks for their archival quality as I am selling prints of my illustrations, but I think I will go with refillable cartridges instead of CISS next time. Better idea?
Oh oh...
You may have inadvertently opened that can of worms labeled "Are Third-party Inks Good Enough To Be Sold?"
Could be interesting... :pop

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
Maybe I should have specified that I'm not selling to art galleries, I have a very small "amateur" fan base.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Are Third-party Inks Good Enough To Be Sold?"
3rd party pigment inks are as good as the OEMs, well maybe not quite that good, more like 90 years instead of 100...
But will there be anybody around to notice...:idunno