Help with Epson Stylus photo 1500W issue, clogged nozzles? It came suddenly out of nowhere.

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
I've made a video of what's happening:
https://youtu.be/9L9tQxzlVPk
@mikling does this look like a blockage in the pump? It does suck ink away to some point..

I'm afraid to disassemble myself as I know nothing.

As extra information this was the nozzle check this morning
C9zOkFnm.jpg

And this one right after this cleaning cycle
vf4ZJu9m.jpg

This proves (as said before) that there's air being sucked back to the print head?

@martin0reg what kind of a "heated" cleaning solution do you suggest? I've read that too hot can do damage. I've also found on this forum a cleaning solution with alcohol, distilled water and ammonia but I can't find the thread or post to it again.. @mikling suggested not to use any cleaners(?) I'm kind of confused by now.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've made a video of what's happening:
https://youtu.be/9L9tQxzlVPk
@mikling does this look like a blockage in the pump? It does suck ink away to some point..

I'm afraid to disassemble myself as I know nothing.

As extra information this was the nozzle check this morning
C9zOkFnm.jpg

And this one right after this cleaning cycle
vf4ZJu9m.jpg

This proves (as said before) that there's air being sucked back to the print head?

@martin0reg what kind of a "heated" cleaning solution do you suggest? I've read that too hot can do damage. I've also found on this forum a cleaning solution with alcohol, distilled water and ammonia but I can't find the thread or post to it again.. @mikling suggested not to use any cleaners(?) I'm kind of confused by now.

Air is not being sucked back in. It is likely to be "pumped" or forced back in. Your nozzle check shows this. I already explained how this occurs with a blocked exit side on the pump that has a tube attached to it. More soaking? Maybe with drano....but somehow plumbers are are still clearing drains mechanically and not with miracle liquids like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpOkawP0kaM

I could be wrong but at some point logic has to take some precedence.

Your problem might have originated from ink continually dripping into the capping station. This would cause a buildup over time and the clean cycles might have not been able to flush it out. That is all related to the seemingly low reservoir tanks I observed upon your first reset. The first reset would have been triggered by likely a Lighter Cyan or Light Magenta after 10-12 ml. This should not have dropped the ink levels in the tank so low but I don't know how high they were to begin with.

maybe the folks at printer potty have a video on disassembly. You tube must have something. I don't suspect it will magically fix itself at this point but the printhead is not done. The Printer needs an hour or so of work by a technician or less by an experienced person. You have to use something to clear the tube like wire. It's going to be dirty work, wear gloves.

Your unfortunate adventure is reminder that this industry of ink resellers resemble the Wild West. Magic potions and miracle cures by hucksters bearing pretty bottles to unknowing settlers who knew no better. Coca Cola (Coke) was once medicine of some type as I understand...

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
To the OP. Your purge pump lines are clogged!!!! You need to open up the right side of the printer chasis. You will then see the tube or tubes that run from the purge pump itself and they connect via a plastic connector to the down stream tube / tunes which lead to the waste ink pads or cart. It is those very tubes that are blocked. That is the reason for the purge pad not draining and air being pushed, no, forced, back into the print head. Do not waste any more time with cleaning cycles or any other cleaning steps as they are not doing the printer any good. You simply making tne sktuation worse. Attach a syringe with Windex to the upper tubes and see if you can back flush the tubes. Also do the same to the downstream tubes.
I've had to do this to a couple of printers which now work like new.
And when you do manage to clear it, get rid of the CISS.
Joe

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Here's a link on installing an external waste tank that'll show you how to get access to the tubes you need to clear. Joe, jtoolman, has a YouTube channel that has similar, and more!, information.

https://youtu.be/7cFzugleysA

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Selfmade cleaning solution according to pharmacist:
15-20 % (ml) isopropyl alcohol and
3-5 % (ml) propylene glykol,
mixed with destilled water to make 100 % (ml)

Mikling certainly is right
More soaking? Maybe with drano....but somehow plumbers are are still clearing drains mechanically and not with miracle liquids like
With inkjet printers I think "pigs might fly", therefor I have suggested to flooding only the pad with hot cleaning solution. Not boiling hot, but so that you can only just touch it.

But if you have all things at hand to follow joe toolman's advice this would be the most effective way, with only taking one side off the housing.
One more site to find the tube, by websnail from octoink:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/153/Epson+Artisan+1430+{47}+Photo+1500W

Last edited:

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
More soaking? Maybe with drano....but somehow plumbers are are still clearing drains mechanically and not with miracle liquids like
Haha! Well, yes you are completely right. It seems the most logical next step to do.
I don't think there was dripping, I probably would have noticed. The reason why the reservoirs are so empty is because I didn't empty the full 100ml bottles of ink in there and I've done a lot of test printing. The bottles still have at least 1/3rd of ink left.

The disassembly doesn't seem to be too complicated. I've checked @jtoolman 's videos and I'll try to fix it myself.

I'm ditching the CISS that's for sure. But is there a way to re-use the cartridges, after cleaning if possible? Or should I better get new refillable cartridges?
Thank you, all, for your help and suggestions.