Which Pigment Ink for Epson 1500W?

lawrence88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson 1500W
Which brand are you guys using?

I have been searching around and found a company call cityinkexpress? And I can't see there is a pigment ink for 1500W on Marrutt website.

Cheers,

Lawrence

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Lawrence,

Octoinkjet.co.uk is now selling the high gloss Inktec Powerchrome K3 ink set, which is a resin coated pigment ink with a relatively high glossy finish.

Paul-H

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500W
Hi

just wondering, but is it wise to use a Pigment Ink in a printer whose heads have been designed for dye inks, might you suffer premature failure of the heads, after all Dye ink is just liquid but pigment inks are a solid in suspension. I would have thought it would ack like a mini sand blaster to heads not made tough enough for pigment inks.

Unless I am wrong then I apologize for bringing it up.

Paul

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am using pigment ink all the time without any problems in my Epson 1500w, see my signature. It hardly clogs at all.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Many use pigment ink in an Epson dye printer without problems. It appears that the print heads for dye ink are build the same as the ones for pigment ink.

This only goes for Epson and Brother printers, with their 'cold' technique. For Canon and other brands it's a different story.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
The link refers to claria compatible dye ink..but there is also the new powerchrome..

After declogging my R285 (which uses also 6 channel claria ink) I filled it with "Klaria" ink (version 2), which I had bought some time ago for this purpose but rarely used..now I tried it again.
Printings are fine so far .. you should make paper profiles for best results (like with all inks)
but while I am mostly too lazy for this, colors seem to match the epson colors quite good without profiles..
http://www.precisioncolors.com/KL3.html
.. but there are several profiles for epson and 3rd party paper to download..

For real gloss dye is best IMO, I am printing pigment mostly on matte paper...
..but I am curious to see if powerchrome pigment (recommended by pharmacist) is better on glossy paper.. and how "compatible" the six colors (out of eight, including LG and LLG) are...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
While printers like the 1500W are fine with pigment, I now recommend that when switching from pigments and then BACK to dye, that some form of flush solution be used prior to going back to dye ink. You can use windex with ammonia to perform this. One should fill cartridges with this and perform several cleaning cycles to flush out the pigment that is potentially clinging to the surfaces and hiding. After thoroughly cleaning the passages, then a switch BACK to dye should be done. Pigment in low concentrations that remains in localized spots can end up gelling and cause internal clogs. I have observed this inside cartridges before so the potential does exist and thus my cautious advice.

So my advice is thus. switching from dye to pigment in one swoop....no problem.
Switching back from pigment to dye.. perform a good cleaning of the internals of the printheads to be on the cautious side before using dye again.

Apostolos

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
1500w, M2170, G5040, X464
I'm about to buy one of those. Haven't had an Epson for almost 20 years.
I'm not sure yet about the longevity of the 1500w if i only use pigment ink, but i'm going to do it anyway. Dye ink won't work for the work i want to do with it.
So my question is: For an Epson 1500w that is going to work all his working days with pigment ink only, what is the suggested maintenance routine? Please be very thorough.