Epson 3800, Inkrepublic Prints Bluish Black

How can I make my printer print genuine blacks?

• Call retailer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do a powercleaning circle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nishda59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
As was explained earlier, using ANY ICC made for the OEM inks will result in bluish tones in your darks using Inkrepublics black inks.

You need to create a custom profile for YOUR printer using YOUR inks and YOUR paper.
That is the only way to solve this.
If I use your inks on any of my two 3800s I will also have the same problem.
As was explained earlier, using ANY ICC made for the OEM inks will result in bluish tones in your darks using Inkrepublics black inks.

You need to create a custom profile for YOUR printer using YOUR inks and YOUR paper.
That is the only way to solve this.
If I use your inks on any of my two 3800s I will also have the same problem.
How do I create a custom file?

nishda59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
I just wanted to check whether the printer could actually produce neutral grays, sending an un-tagged file to the printer without any colour management, should at least maintain the neutrality of the greys (blacks/grays will print using K/LK/LLK, unless of course the OEM inks aren't actually black and the printer has to always compensate for that, at a hardware level, which I doubt). Judging by the scans, it does.
If you look at the earlier posts, the OP did try printing using the official IR profiles with the same poor result.

This has to be software-related. At this point I can only suggest try printing from another computer or from a clean install of PS/printer drivers.
There's another program called QImage, which is also colour-aware and you should also try.
Download the trial version and use it with the official profiles from inkrepublic's site, like before.
Now I've installed an older Photoshop CS 4 and deleted the CS 6. Prints on matte paper using Epson 3800 Semi 251 and Ilford 3800 255 Pear comes out much better. Still though they have a blue tint and the density is strong. As a result some shades disappear which didn't disappear with the OEM ink. Also pink areas become purple. It's like the gamut areas are a bit bigger now.
When I print on glossy paper using the 3800 265G Glossy Premium profile it comes out as blue as ever.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
When I print on glossy paper using the 3800 265G Glossy Premium profile it comes out as blue as ever.

Did you remember to change the printer driver media settings to Epson presium glossy?

Anyway, if you get different results with different versions of Photoshop then there's obviously something wrong in the workflow.
Also, where did you get the profile you are using with the matte paper?

I can make a custom profile for you if you want, I'll send you a target you can print and have the prints mailed to me for measurement.
PM me if you are interested.

nishda59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Did you remember to change the printer driver media settings to Epson presium glossy?

Anyway, if you get different results with different versions of Photoshop then there's obviously something wrong in the workflow.
Also, where did you get the profile you are using with the matte paper?

I can make a custom profile for you if you want, I'll send you a target you can print and have the prints mailed to me for measurement.
PM me if you are interested.
Yes, I changed it to Premium Glossy. Sounds super nice if you'll make a custom file for me. PM- does that mean Pay Me? If so, yes I'll pay you for the trouble.
Thanks very much

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
"Private Messsage" me, not "pay me" ;)

You'll have to physically mail the prints to me though, it will obviously take a few days for them to get here, if you don't mind waiting.

nishda59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
"Private Messsage" me, not "pay me" ;)

You'll have to physically mail the prints to me though, it will obviously take a few days for them to get here, if you don't mind waiting.
he he… as you might understand I'm rather hopeless in this forum. It's really kind of you to help me. A profile from you- will it only work for matte papers or will I be able to use it for glossy paper too?
Mailing time doesn't matter. What matters it to get the printing system to work. If I had hair on my head I would pull it out!
How do I get your name and address in a "private" way?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry for butting in but if you look up to the top right hand corner of the task bar you’ll see the word INBOX
Just hold your mouse over that for a second and the then the word CONVERSATIONS appears just click on that word and you'll now have a Private way to communicate with costadinos.. :thumbsup

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Now I've installed an older Photoshop CS 4 and deleted the CS 6. Prints on matte paper using Epson 3800 Semi 251 and Ilford 3800 255 Pear comes out much better. Still though they have a blue tint and the density is strong. As a result some shades disappear which didn't disappear with the OEM ink. Also pink areas become purple. It's like the gamut areas are a bit bigger now.
I'm beginning to think, like costadinos, that there may be something wrong in your workflow. You shouldn't get different results with different versions of PS. The fact that you say "density is strong" almost suggests double-profiling.

Just out of curiosity I have compared the IR profiles with the equivalent Epson profiles. Sure enough the IR inks are cooler (bluer) than the Epson, but not to the extent that your original scan shows. Are you sure you are getting your color management settings right? Care to give us a bit more information?

nishda59

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Sorry for butting in but if you look up to the top right hand corner of the task bar you’ll see the word INBOX
Just hold your mouse over that for a second and the then the word CONVERSATIONS appears just click on that word and you'll now have a Private way to communicate with costadinos.. :thumbsup
Oh I see. Thank you!