1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Health & Safety and 3D Printing.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning solution: the ultimate test

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by pharmacist, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2017
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    apetitphoto and The Hat like this.
  2. Jan 21, 2019
    Nigel Harris

Nigel Harris Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Epson 3800
    Hello all, new member and apologies in advance for resurrecting an old thread: I have found the advice and content extremely useful, still highly relevant and I have a related question which I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can answer:

I have an “old” Epson 3800 which has seen infrequent use, and has now got a clogged magenta nozzle. Ignorant of this thread, I purchased a pre-mixed solution called “magic bullet” which slightly improved things. I have since ordered the ingredients so that i can prepare my own solution and procure a set of cartridges so I can flush through from beginning to end.

My question is: is there something I could sensibly add to the pharmacists solution so that I could see the result of a nozzle test? Am aware of the piezo solution sold in the states which does just this, but am UK based and wondered if there was a recommended ingredient that I could buy which would serve the same purpose.

I would really like to get my printer back up and running again, it’s only ever had OEM cartridges, but has not seen the regular use required to prevent the clogging.

Many thanks
    Nige

3. Jan 21, 2019
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    Hi Nigel and welcome, it is perfectly safe to add 2% of ammonia to Pharmacists solution when flushing your system out, but it’s not recommended for long term soaking, because you don’t want to leave the ammonia solution in contact with any metal for long periods.

When using pharmacist’s solution in your carts for printing you can add a couple of drops of dye ink into the mix, pigment will work if you don’t have any dye ink, the Magenta or Cyan colour is best to use just for colourant..

You may have to remove the dampers from the print head if your soaking is not successful..