1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: New Light Standard Design - Ongoing Update
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning solution: the ultimate test

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by pharmacist, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Mar 27, 2017
    Paul W.

Paul W. Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Epson 1400, 1430, HP 932
    Before I continue, let me say I just noticed my serious typo! Make that quote "ammonia" not "alcohol"! But evidently you figured out that I meant "ammonia".

I'll try a drop of Windex on a glass and report back... just wanted to correct my mistake first.

2. Mar 29, 2017
    Paul W.

Paul W. Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Epson 1400, 1430, HP 932
    @pharmacist : I ran your test... sorry to note that there was a slight trace left by my drop of Windex on glass. So, I will limit my use of cleaning solutions with Windex to areas outside the print head. I'm trying to remember if I ignorantly did that when I was just getting started. What would be the symptons of ammonia attacking copper inside the print head?

Thank you,

Paul

3. Mar 29, 2017
    pharmacist

pharmacist Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro 3880, R3000, WF-7525
    Copper will be chelated (forming a complex, which is soluble into water): in another words, it will dissolve the copper. However: most dyes are slightly acid and can attack copper as well. I can hardly believe the print head contains copper, as copper can react with water to form copper hydroxide (remember those ancient bronze statues (contains copper) in water, which turned green. Even exposed to air, copper will sooner or later turn greenish). Unless Epson's policy is to optimize the razor blade business model. Ink itself is slightly acid or alkaline (depending on the type of ink). I can hardly believe that copper is used, as it will form green crusts inside the capillary ink channels very quickly, causing massive clogging. For electronic contacts of the print head having copper: yes and very plausible (good conductor), but inside the print head: to me this sounds like an urban legend

The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  4. Mar 29, 2017
    sony53

sony53 Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    canon pro 100s/ canon pro 9000
    A friend of mine gave me a Epson r2400 what had been sitting in there loft for a couple of years with a ciss what had leaked a bit so by reading stuff on hear and other sites I set about cleaning it up. After a clean up ran a nozzle check blocked nozzle on nearly all colours. so got some ipa and set it on the printer with some paper towels left it to soak overnight. Tried another nozzle check still blocked sent of for some windex soaked again over night again now all colours except yellow was working. tried again still no yellow so I tried pharmacist formula propylene glycol/ipa and distilled water over night. next day ran a nozzle check all colours working except for a tiny bit of yellow missing so I added a bit of windex in formula next day nozzle check and all colours was working so a big thanks to pharmacist and other members on here

pharmacist, The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  5. Apr 3, 2017
    Paul W.

Paul W. Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Epson 1400, 1430, HP 932
    @sony53

Just to confirm... does ipa stand for isopropyl alcohol?

And there's a couple of phrases I don't understand:

Anyway, congratulations! Your success gives me some hope!

Regards,

Paul

The Hat likes this.
  6. Apr 4, 2017
    sony53

sony53 Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    canon pro 100s/ canon pro 9000
    isopropyl alcohol =ipa 1st get some paper towels fold them so that they can go under print head I soak the paper with windex and left it to soak over night also tried ipa and left that to soak over night on a folded paper towel

The Hat likes this.
  7. Apr 4, 2017
    Paul W.

Paul W. Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Epson 1400, 1430, HP 932
    @sony53 : Good thing I asked... was all set to go out and buy a six pack of India Pale Ale. ;)

Paul

The Hat, sony53 and ThrillaMozilla like this.
  8. Jul 22, 2017
    Vorkolor

Vorkolor Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma iP7250
    I'm not sure I can get hold of propylene glycol, but glycerol is available. What does "2%" mean?
    I can get the blue-colored isopropyl alcohol, is that good enough or do I need something cleaner?
    Will demineralised water work instead of distilled? (Less hassle since I've already got some.)

9. Jul 23, 2017
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Glycerol will make up 2% of the total solution. If the total ml of solution are 100 ml then use 2 ml of glycerol.

I would advise against as there are additives in the blue IPA that may harm the print head. One blue IPA I looked up had methyl salicylate additive which when in the presence of a sugar, such as glycerol, and then dried can cause a build up of electrical charge and luminesce, not good if this causes a short in the print head electronics. I do not know if this is possible with glycerol but why take the chance.

You could substitute unadulterated ethyl alcohol, like vodka or grain alcohol. Just account for the dilution of the alcohol and adjust the amount of water added. For example, 100 Proof vodka is 50% alcohol by volume and 50% water by volume. If you are making up 100 ml of Pharmacist's solution then add 30 ml of the 100 Proof vodka instead of 20 ml. That would mean you only add 63 ml water instead of 73 ml.

Demineralized water is fine to use.

pharmacist, The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  10. Jul 23, 2017
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    Easy known that @stratman is very knowledgeable on his drink %, so don’t try to water his tipple, he likes things straight...:drool :lol:

stratman and pharmacist like this.