Canon service tool v2000

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
FYI, my MP980 gave an warning, ink pads nearly full.

MP980 uses PGI-x20/CLI-x21 cartridges.

i downloaded V3400 from this thread, unpacked it, got into service mode, ran the V3400 tool but got an error of 06.

PeterBJ and Hat gave me some suggestions and turned out that V3400 service tool does not like any other USB printers along for the party.

I disconnected my 10 year old MP830, tried V3400 again and it worked !

see before and after EEPROMs

D= was 95% now 0%.

this forum is the best !

thx

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 668
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 634

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes the service tools only work with a USB connection even if the printer you want to service has wireless capability.

It is also very important that only the printer you want to service is connected to the computer. Even an older printer of the PGI-5/CLI-8 generation can interfere with the service tools if it is connected to the computer used for service mode operations, even if the PGI-5/CLI-8 printer is not turned on!

Old MP990

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP990
I'm reviving this old thread just to say THANK YOU! to the contributors of this resource.

After days of searching for a way to revive my Canon Pixma MP990, I am very happy to have found what I needed here. I got the Ink Absorber warning for weeks and just clicked past it. A few days ago the 5B00 error code came up and I was stuck. Just earlier today I found the method for entering service mode but couldn't proceed past that until now. The v3400 service tool link I found here still works with no problems (from page 16). I ran a scan with MS Defender but overlooked the Edit that said it may have been flagged as trojan malware. Hopefully I'm still safe.

So for anyone else getting the "Ink Absorber Alost Full" message, or trying to solve the 5B00 Error, just read through this thread. The answers are here, the tool is here, and they all still work.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the the ink absorber pads to clean or replace them. I'm tired and will tackle that later.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I found no free download of the MP990 service manual, but a commercial download of the manual and parts catalog can be found here at 5$.

The MP980 is mechanically very similar to the MP990 so I think the MP980 manual and parts catalog will be useful for dismantling and reassembly. Here are free downloads of the service manual and the parts catalog.

I have never seen a download of service tool V3400 that contained any malware. Newer service tools for cartridge generations PGI-x50/CLI-x51 and newer might trigger virus warnings, probably due to the adding of key software by the vendor.

I also use and like the MP990 and I think its CCD scanner makes it a much better AIO than other models with CIS scanners.

Old MP990

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP990
I found no free download of the MP990 service manual, but a commercial download of the manual and parts catalog can be found here at 5$.

The MP980 is mechanically very similar to the MP990 so I think the MP980 manual and parts catalog will be useful for dismantling and reassembly. Here are free downloads of the service manual and the parts catalog.

I have never seen a download of service tool V3400 that contained any malware. Newer service tools for cartridge generations PGI-x50/CLI-x51 and newer might trigger virus warnings, probably due to the adding of key software by the vendor.

I also use and like the MP990 and I think its CCD scanner makes it a much better AIO than other models with CIS scanners.

Thank you for the links. I went with the $5 download.

Old MP990

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP990
So I got all my ink absorber pads clean out, dried and installed. I got the machine back together but had problems with what might be the pict bridge cable coming from the scanner bed. I didn't realize when I set the scanner bed aside I had set it on the end of the cable and damaged it. I was able to get it plugged in but it took more fiddling than normal. The machine is now powered up and I get a 5050 error code for a faulty AFE, or bad scanner cable communication. I'm pretty sure that's going to be the same cable I damaged. Just briefly looking online and I think it's the Pict Bridge cable QK1-5831, same part for the MP640. I can't seem to find one and I can't tell if it is even actually replaceable by the average know nothing like me. Before I disassemble this thing again, is it even possible to replace this cable? And is it still available somewhere?

A new printer/scanner is looking better and better now. But I also hate throwing away a good fixable machine.

Thanks in advance.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you are very lucky the cable and the connector is not damaged, but the cable is just not properly attached to the connector.

Canon uses at least 3 different connectors for flat foil cables. In one you just push the cable in. In the other two you will have to unlock the connector before attaching the cable and lock the connector after the cable has been attached.

Here is a post showing the locking connectors.