stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What does PM mean
PM = Private Message

PM's in this software is called "Conversation" which allows you and whomever you select (can be more than one forum member) to have a "conversation" privately without the entire forum allowed to read it.

To start a Conversation:

Click on "Inbox" at top right of web page, in between your user name and "Alerts".

Then click on "Start A New Conversation" found towards the top middle right of the page. Alternatively, if you hover your mouse over "Inbox" it will pop up[ a small window and you can click on "Start A New Conversation".

Once in the Start A New Conversation page you click in the white rectangular box alongside "Participants" and begin typing the name of the people you want to privately communicate with. As you type more of that person's name you will see a pop up window that lists every member with those letters. You can click on the member's name in the list to select them.

Enter a "Conversation Title" in the box below Participants.

Type in your private message as you would a post in the forum.

When your "Conversation" is complete then click on the "Start A Conversation" button below your typed message.

If the person(s) you sent your private message to responds then you will see a notification under "Inbox" at the top right of the page (in between your user name and "Alerts"). Click there to go to your "Conversation" and read correspondence.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@SNIPPY I have an MP270 and the service tool v3400 does work with that printer. I recommend the use of version 3400 as the earlier versions support fewer printers and have problems with 64 bit Windows. V3400 works with all Windows versions from XP and all newer and both 32 and 64 bit. I assume you successfully downloaded and unpacked the service tool.

Then I see three reasons the service tool does not work.

One is that the printer has not entered service mode, the procedure from the service manual is:
i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop or Stop/Reset button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons).

ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop or Stop/Reset button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)

iii. While holding the ON button, press and release the Stop or Stop/Reset button 2 times, and then release both the ON and Stop or Stop/Reset buttons. (Each time the Stop or Stop/Reset button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)

iv. When the Power LED lights in green and the machine displays as follows, the machine is ready for the service mode operation: "0" (zero) on the 7-segment LED

Another reason for the service tool to not work is that the ink absorber is completely full (D=100.0) and the printer has been locked. The only service mode operation possible is then resetting the ink absorber counter. See this post. After resetting the counter you should be able to print the EEPROM test sheet that will confirm that the absorber counter is resat, somewhere near the top it should say D=00.0.

Finally an electronic or mechanical error in the printer could prevent the service tool from working. You would then get the error message 009.

I just remembered one more cause of the service tool failing. When doing service mode operations using a service tool only the printer you work on must be connected to the computer via USB. The MP270 is not wireless, but wireless printers must also be connected via USB. The service tools only work via USB, not via a wireless connection.

Last edited:

Zapi4579

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
Or if anybody wants any of the Service Tools and has difficulty downloading them, then they can PM me with their request and I will send it to them.

Hello The Hat,
I'm looking forward to downloading ::weee
  • the process for switching a Canon PIXMA MG8150 printer in Service Mode
  • the last version of Service Tools for that printer
  • a user guide or manual of these Service Tools if it exists
I wonder if you could have a link or copy of such things somewhere? :hide
Thanks in advance.:thumbsup
Zapi4579

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure for entering service mode is found in the service manual for the printer. This post has links and instructions for download of the service manual and parts catalog for the MG8120 which is the North American version of your printer. Apart from being for another region and needing a different region cartridges it is identical to your printer. See page 48/70 in the service manual for instructions for entering service mode.

With the exception of the On/Off button the push buttons are replaced with sensor fields on your printer. For entering service mode on printers with sensor fields also see this post and the following three posts.
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...on-service-tool-v2000.6615/page-16#post-85675
This post by @CakeHole has the version 3.400 of the service tool attached in a .rar archive. You can download the archive and unpack it to get the service tool. I think this is the easiest and least risky way of obtaining the sercice tool.

Zapi4579

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
The procedure for entering service mode is found in the service manual for the printer...
With the exception of the On/Off button the push buttons are replaced with sensor fields on your printer...
This post has the version 3.400 of the service tool... I think this is the easiest and least risky way of obtaining the sercice tool.

Hello PeterBJ,

Tanks a lot for your answer.
  1. I already downloaded this tool yesterday, but I was not sure this "quite old release" would work on my father's printer which is not too old. Now I have the confirmation it will work.
  2. I downloaded one hour ago the service manual and the parts catalog.
  3. I just need to read the two other posts and after, I think I'll be ready.
Thank you very much for your help.:thumbsup
What a forum!:celebrate
Zapi

Zapi4579

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
I have already seen that web page. I think that the procedure included in the Service Manuel is more precise than this one.

Nevertheless, I tried this procedure remotely (with my father by phone) few minutes ago and it did'nt work :(. At the end, the yellow led was blinking, indicating an error in the Service Mode procedure :mad:.
I tried the procedure with 2, 5 or 6 push on resume button.With only 2 push, the printer went back in User Mode :confused:. With 5 or 6 push, the procedure ended with yellow led blinking 6 times. I don't know what really happens :smack.
Of course, Service Tools v3400 couldn't set anything on the printer :somad.

Thank you very much for your Help :thumbsup.
If you have any idea... you're welcome :weee.

Zapi

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The MG8150 printer you have should be unaffected by the restrictions that Canon have put on all their newer printer, i.e.to prevent them from entering service mode by their owners.

You may have to try the procedure once again slowly, because you might not have got the button presses in the right order, and the Service Tool won’t work if your printer has not entered service mode properly..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The MG8150 is of the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridge generation. This generation of printers can enter service mode and perform service mode operations with the use of one of the service tools. For newer printers you cannot enter service mode and perform servicemode operations, at least not AFAIK.

Take a look at this post by palombian. The MG8250 is similar to your MG8150 and also with sensor filelds. I think the instruction in that post is easily understandable. Canon instructions in service manuals are not always easily understandable and even worse they are nor always error free.

Maybe @palombian has some comments on entering service mode on a PGI-x25/CLI-x26 printer with sensor fields?

Zapi4579

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG8150
The MG8150 printer you have should be unaffected by the restrictions that Canon have put on all their newer printer, i.e.to prevent them from entering service mode by their owners.

You may have to try the procedure once again slowly, because you might not have got the button presses in the right order, and the Service Tool won’t work if your printer has not entered service mode properly..

You know, it's not easy to do that remotely by phone with my 80 years old :oldfather who has to use an american software tool but doesn't understand any american word and doesn't know much about computer science.
Nevertheless, I suppose he followed carefully my advice because he told me what he saw (blue & yellow leds lighting) and the result on the printer was in accordance with the procedure. But maybe he should do that more slowly or something happened;), I couldn't imagine at a remote phone:idunno.
We will retry tomorrow evening:caf.

Thanks a lot for your Help The Hat:frow.

Zapi