Canon service tool v2000

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual for the MG5350 seems nowhere to be found, but as both the MG5250 and MG5350 are of the same cartridge generation, the procedure for entering service mode will likely also work with the MG5350. Here is the instruction for entering service mode from the MG5250 srvice manual, slightly edited to make it more clear:
i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.

If pressing the Stop/Resume button in step iii 5 times doesn't work then try 2,4 or 6 times instead. The colours of the power and alarm LED's might be different on the MG5350 printer.

Here is a link for the service manual for the MG5220, it is the same printer as the MG5250, just intended for North America instead of Europe. Before download of the manual, see this instruction.

Edit: I have tried the procedure to enter service mode on the MG5350, and the procedure with pressing the Resume/Cancel button five times is the correct one. MG5320 is the same printer just for use in North America, so the procedure for entering service mode with this printer is the same.

Last edited:

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
And MG5640 ?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I just tried a Google search but had no luck. It seems that service manuals for newer models of Canon printers are hard or impossible to find on the web.

Vicki B

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP495
If any of you guys have trouble obtaining any of the Service Tools then I got 5 of them, V1050, V1074, V2000, V3200, and V3400.

Just PM me and I’ll send on the ones you want ! :cool:

Hi, "The Hat" - Greetings from Australia. This is my first time on PK so a little apprehensive, but also excited.
You say "PM" me re these ServiceTools - I hope that's what I'm doing???

I have a Canon Pixma MP495 - 2 cartridge printer (PG-512 Black & CL-513 Colour) - It stopped operating - Got the P07 ink absorber full message! Nothing seemed to work. I wanted to insert new cartridges, but they wouldn't return to the centre for replacement (stayed over the right hand side and were inaccessible. Did 2 things, cleaned the ink absorber and dismantled the printer enough to replace the cartridges (they were close to empty). Once reassembled, the cartridges returned to the centre when the top was lifted (as they're supposed to). Success.

Tried the Reset/Power x 2 Press, followed by x 4 Reset Press and believe that gets it into Service Mode (the P07 disappears) but still can't print anything.

Problem now is, I need a Service Tool to reset the counter. I'm not sure what one I need as searching the web doesn't help with my model (MP495). Can you send me these 5 Service Tools and advise which one to try first?

Not sure what the difference is between Resetters and Service Tools (are these the same thing)? I'm running Windows 7 - 64 bit OS.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure to enter service mode on the MP495 involves pressing the Stop/Resume button five times.

You find the procedure for entering service mode on your printer in the service manual. The service manual is only a supplementary manual, so you will also need a base manual for the supplement. This post explains it all and has working links to the manuals, I just tested them. Better hurry getting the manuals, the ftp://mail.racs server only works sporadically.

I have the very similar MP270 and versions 1050, 1074, 2000, 3200, 3400 and 3600 all work with it. I recommend using the newest version, as this supports most printers and has no problems with 64 bit Windows any version XP or newer, but version 3600 is only partly translated from Chinese. Version 3400 then is my recommendation.

Version 3400 is found on a Russian website, but for some strange reason download doesn't work from a Google translated site, you need to download from this original site. See this post for an instruction. I just tested the link and it still works, and AVG Internet Security found nothing wrong with the download.

A resetter is a small piece of hardware designed to reset chips on certain Canon or other brand ink cartridges, so they will be seen as new OEM cartridges by the printer even if they are refilled. No software tool exists for this purpose.

A service tool is a small piece of software, intended to get info from and make adjustments to the printer's settings stored in the firmware. Note that service tools can not correct mechanical or electronic errors in the printer. On the contrary these errors can prevent the service tool from working.

Last edited:

Vicki B

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP495
The procedure to enter service mode on the MP495 involves pressing the Stop/Resume button five times.

You find the procedure for entering service mode on your printer in the service manual. The service manual is only a supplementary manual, so you will also need a base manual for the supplement. This post explains it all and has working links to the manuals, I just tested them. Better hurry getting the manuals, the ftp://mail.racs server only works sporadically.

I have the very similar MP270 and versions 1050, 1074, 2000, 3200, 3400 and 3600 all work with it. I recommend using the newest version, as this supports most printers and has no problems with 64 bit Windows any version XP or newer, but version 3600 is only partly translated from Chinese. Version 3400 then is my recommendation.

Version 3400 is found on a Russian website, but for some strange reason download doesn't work from a Google translated site, you need to download from this original site. See this post for an instruction. I just tested the link and it still works, and AVG Internet Security found nothing wrong with the download.

A resetter is a small piece of hardware designed to reset chips on certain Canon or other brand ink cartridges, so they will be seen as new OEM cartridges by the printer even if they are refilled. No software tool exists for this purpose.

A service tool is a small piece of software, intended to get info from and make adjustments to the printer's settings stored in the firmware. Note that service tools can not correct mechanical or electronic errors in the printer. On the contrary these errors can prevent the service tool from working.

Vicki B

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP495
PeterBJ, You are Wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to explain everything to me in such detail - Made it so much easier to understand. I could NEVER have fixed the printer without your advice.

I only managed to get one of the manuals, but I'll keep trying for the others (the server's been down). I don't really need them now, just want them for future reference, if needed).

As I told "The Hat" - I've pulled the printer to bits, cleaned the ink tank and pads, reassembled it, used the Service Tool (your suggestion was Version 3400 - It was PERFECT, worked like a charm).

I've actually printed about 30 pages since - all are lovely and clear, but the best thing of all is the printer now works.

I don't know how you do it, helping so many people with Printer Problems. It must come naturally to you, but it definitely isn't a natural thing for everyone else on the planet!

Keep doing what you're doing....The help and advice you provide is invaluable.

Thank you again, and again, and again. Kind Regards....VickiB

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the kind words and for the feed-back telling that the procedure worked.

ivosavo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma 2700
Hi,
I am Ivano from Italy and just found this useful thread in this useful forum.
I hope someone can help me:
I brought home a Pixma2700 from a friend. Printer was giving the "ink absorber full" error and I tried to fix it.
I read elsewhere some tutorials and tried to enter service mode on my machine with win 10 (my friend still has xp, but I couldn't bring home her pc :) )
On win10 I hear the sound of "new hardware found" but no additional printer shows up and it hangs up looking for new drivers. I then installed manually newest version of printer driver and anyway I am only able to see printer in normal mode. I then downloaded what I think is servicetoolV2000 (this eve,I'll be able to confirm version I used) and tried "to go blind" to connect to it. It found connection to printer on USB 2 (regular printer was showing usb port 1) and resetted ink counter. turned printer off then on, make a "one line" demo print in normal mode and it worked like a charm.
Brought it back to my friend and, even if not showing ink absorber error anymore, it sometimes prints odd charachters, strange lines, colored lines etc...apparently random.
What can it be? newest driver installation didn't help.
Suggestion on how to fix?
Thanks and regards
Ivano

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For the service tools to work, the printer must be installed on the computer used for the service mode operations. Verify the install by making a nozzle check or by printing for instance the "Windows printer test page. If that works the install should be OK. Version 2000 of the service tool should also be OK for your printer, but may have a problem with 64 bit Windows. I recommend the use of version 3400. It supports many more printers and it also supports both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows XP and newer up to and included Windows 10.

The links in this post for download of the version 3400 still works and AVG Internet Security found nothing wrong in the download. Also see this post for an instruction for download from the untranslated Russian site.

To enter service mode on the ip2700 the stop/resume button should be pressed and released 5 times instead of 2 which is the most used. See this post. Here is the procedure from the service manual, slightly edited to make it more clear:
i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power and Resume/Cancel button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights steadily in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation:
Service mode operations can be tricky, I hope this helps.

Last edited: