Canon service tool v2000

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here it is!

This tool provides service mode operations for several Canon printers of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21, PGI-x25/CLI-x26 and PGI-9 generations.

Here is a list of supported printers, from the Russian download site:

iP2700; iP3600; iP4600; iP4700; ip4840; ip4850;
PRO9000; PRO9500;
IX7000;
MP240; MP250; MP260; MP270; MP280; MP480; MP490; MP540; MP550; MP560; MP620; MP630; MP640; MP980; MP990;
MX320; MX330; MX860;
MG5140; MG5150

I've tested the tool with a Canon MP540 and Win Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I guess It will also work with Win XP and 7 and maybe 64 bit versions of the OS's (Not tested). Neither AVG Internet Security nor MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware) found any threats in the download.

For download links see "Updates" at the bottom of this post.

Instructions for use: First the printer must enter service mode. No other printers should be connected to the computer. This is procedure for my MP 540, from the service manual, the procedure for your printer might be different:

i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON
button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button.
(DO NOT release the ON button.)
iii. While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 2 times, and then release both the ON
and Stop buttons. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light
alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the machine is ready for the service mode operation.

The LCD display now shows two lines of text: 1: Service mode and 2: Idle.

Before starting the service tool, make sure that both cassette and rear tray contains paper, else service mode operations might fail, as you cannot predict which paper source the printer will use.

Now now run the unpacked ServiceTool_V2000.exe file. No installation necessary.

You now see this window with two tabs. Click thumbs to enlarge

and

I've tried only the "Test Print" and "EEPROM" buttons on the "Main" tab. You can change several settings with the program, but unless absolutely necessary don't try other operations , especially if you don't have the service manual. You might delete info or change vital settings. I've made such mistakes my self, therefore this warning. Link here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49752#p49752

Click the "test print" on main tab and the the text is greyed out. Now wait for the familiar style test print with extended nozzle check etc. Don't panic even if it seems to take forever.. You will eventually get the printout and this pop-up window: Click the thumbs to enlarge, and click the enlarged cropped image again to expand to full size.

and cropped for less JPG-compression: and the pop-up:

It is seen from the cropped image, that this printer has a problem with the printhead.

You may now proceed with service mode operations. Click the "EEPROM" button on the main tab. This produces the EEPROM info printout, you also get the option to choose paper source for this printout. This operation also takes long time to finish. Click the thumbs to enlarge:

and the pop-ups and

Exit service mode by turning the printer off using the printer's Power On/Off button, and close the Service tool application.

Note: The service tools only work with a USB connection, so you will have to use a USB cable with a wireless printer. Also note that all versions work with 32 bit Windows but only versions 3200 and 3400 also work with 64 bit Windows.

Update1: See this post for a download of version 3400 that works at this time of updating, October 29 2015.

Older updates were removed as the links no longer work.

Last edited:

datroubler

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi! Link is broken :(
I would like to test it on an Canon MX885 and give feedback if it works.
If anyone could upload the tool?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi PeterBJ

That looks like accessing the service software for a car's engine management system. Make a slip up and you spend the next six months trying to sort it out. However very interesting, I had not noticed the post until datroubler replied. Yes the links seemed to have been broken.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Here's a quick RapidShare download guide:

aaRapidShare.png

abRapidShare.png

acRapidShare.png

adRapidShare.png

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Tudor

Thank you for the new link.

I have updated my post above and the post in the service manuals thread.

shandesire

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
canon service tool v2000 is not working for canon pixma ip 4940 or maybe printer not going on service mode as mention.i tried several times but nothing.can you please send the link which guide me to fix ip4940 and tell me how to go service mode of this printer.
regard

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
shandesire wrote:
canon service tool v2000 is not working for canon pixma ip 4940 or maybe printer not going on service mode...
Both causes are possible, the Canon iP4940 is not on the list of supported printers and the procedure for entering service mode might be different for the iP4940.

Check this site: http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?products_id=1445 . They offer a newer service tool v3400 for download, but not exactly cheap at 30$. But note that they write that the service tool v2000 can also be used for resetting the absorbers.

They also list a different procedure for entering service mode for your printer, so maybe you can use this different procedure and service tool v2000 with success?

If you are willing to spend hours searching the web, you might be lucky and find free downloads of the service tool and service manual for your printer.

Good luck with the project.
Peter.

EDIT: I wonder if the reference to Service tool v2000 is a typo?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think 2manuals.com got something mixed up on the page I linked to. The reset tool v2000 does not need Win XP to run. AFAIK the older version 1074 or 1.074 did.

I'll download it and give it a try with an iP3600.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Most likely you just need to be running the tool in XP compatibility mode if you're using Vista or Windows 7, but by saying it's WinXP only compatible it probably removes a lot of the support overhead you get otherwise.

I see a lot of this with the AdjProg utilities for the Epson printers... although worth noting that some of those really don't like working with anything other than Windows XP, so I may be talking out of my hat... ;)