Canon service tool v2000

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
I'm trying to run this tool (ServiceTool_V2000.exe) and the text is grayed out. Any suggestions - running Windows 7, 64 bit.

Regards,

Tom C

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to a test I made, greying out could mean that the printer is not supported by the service tool. See post #13. Which printer did you try to use the service tool on?

I wonder if the application only works with 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Vista and 7? You could then try to find or borrow a computer running a 32 bit version of Windows XP, Vista or 7.

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
It's the Canon MX860. Printer works fine, I would hope the service tool would as well. If not, does this really mean I have to get a new printer. I hope Canon has not discovered that.

Regards,

Tom C

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon MX860 is on the list of supported printers, so I think the problem is that the service tool does not work with 64 bit Windows versions. Has anybody tried using the service tool with 64 bit Windows?

So I suggest you try to borrow a 32 bit Windows computer from friends or others.

If you need the service tool to reset the ink absorber counter, remember that resetting a counter does not remove the ink. You risk a nasty ink spill if you reset the counter without changing or cleaning the absorbers.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
@twcinnh:

Did you set the printer to service mode first, then run the software?

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
Tudor said:
@twcinnh:

Yes, the printer was in service mode. I'm borrowing a 32bit XP laptop and will try with that. I'll report the results.

Tom C

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
twcinnh said:
Tudor said:
@twcinnh:

Yes, the printer was in service mode. I'm borrowing a 32bit XP laptop and will try with that. I'll report the results across printers.

Tom C
Charmed. Yes, the service tool (https://rapidshare.com/#!download|927p9|1749656189|ServiceTool_V2000.exe|401|0|0) ran quite nicely on a XP 32 bit machine.

I have found it both confusing and difficult to find how to enter service mode. Many people have posted the directions for their machine, but Canon understands how to maintain proprietary control and doesn't use the same method across printers.

If anyone does have the Canon directions for the pad replacements (provided with the ink absorber pads from Canon) I would appreciate a copy. The person I ordered the pads from gave me the 800 Canon Service number but they absolutely refuse to provide directions and insist I either take it to a service center, or use their 'Loyalty' program and buy a replacement for 25% off. It doesn't take much googling to find the recommended replacement printer at a price less than Canon's 'Loyalty program.

For those looking to enter service mode for the Canon MX860 here are the directions I followed from the Service Manual:

4-2. Service Mode
(1) Service mode operation procedures
Use the Service Tool on the connected computer.

1) Start the machine in the service mode.
i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)
iii. While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 2 times, and then release both the ON and Stop buttons. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
- Without the scanner (connect the operation panel unit);
While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 3 times, and then release both the ON and Stop buttons. (Each time
the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green and the machine displays "Service Mode Idle," the machine is ready for the
service mode operation.
LCD ready for the service mode operation:

2) Start the Service Tool on the connected computer.
i. When a button is clicked in the Service Tool dialog box, that function is performed. During operation of the selected function, all the Service Tool buttons are dimmed and inactive.
ii. When the operation is completed, "A function was finished." is displayed, and another function can be selected.
iii. If a non-supported function is selected, "Error!" is displayed. Click OK in the error message dialog box to exit the error.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Tom

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi twcinnh

Thanks for your report. It seems 32 bit Windows is necessary for the service tool to run. I have now added this info to post #1.

Druckerchannel.de has some general info on changing ink absorbers on Canon AIO's. The machine is older than yours, but maybe you find some useful tips? The article is in German, link here: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artike...g_zum_wechsel_der_ink_absorber_bei_canon_aios link to Google translation into English: http://translate.google.dk/translat...g_zum_wechsel_der_ink_absorber_bei_canon_aios

When you have removed the scanner lid, scanner unit and the enclosure the procedure for changing the ink absorbers is the same as for a printer only machine, so maybe you find something useful here: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artike...entank_bei_canon_pixma_ip4600_ip4700_tauschen or in English: http://translate.google.dk/translat...entank_bei_canon_pixma_ip4600_ip4700_tauschen

I hope the service manual plus the Druckerchannel articles provide enough info to change the absorbers. When removing scanner parts be very careful with flexible ribbon cables and make sure connectors are unlocked if necessary, before attempting to disconnect the cables.

Good luck with the project.
Peter