Canon service tool v2000

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
twcinnh wrote:
I have found it both confusing and difficult to find how to enter service mode. Many people have posted the directions for their machine, but Canon understands how to maintain proprietary control and doesn't use the same method across printers.
The MP280 is on the list of supported printers, so you will have to search the web for how to enter service mode on your printer. You could try using search terms like "service mode canon mp280", "service manual canon mp280" or "reset canon mp280"

The procedure for entering service mode found in first post here seems to work: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/73870

isavour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My MP288 (China version of MP280) produced 2012/07 only can use Service Tool V3200 to reset waste ink counter.

Here is the Service Tool V3200 found on an Chinese website.

rapidshare.com/files/3500287899/ServiceTool_V3200.zip

But the V1050 & V1074 have the EEPROM clear function that V2000 & V3200 doesn't have.

If it possible to add this function to the new version tools?

Or any way to reset the paper counter by any means?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the link :) I tested the new v3200 on a Pixma 3600 and a computer running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, and it works well. My guess is that it like the previous versions will work with Win XP, Vista and 7, but only with 32 bit versions of the OS's.

The reason it cannot clear the EEPROM and thus delete the printers history could be related to warranty claims. For instance I think this line in the EEPROM print records the number of times the ink monitoring has been disabled: INK_OFF(PBK=0 BK=0 Y=0 M=0 C=0). If ink monitoring has been turned off to use a refilled cartridge, warranty is void. I'm sure Canon doesn't want this information to be deleted. With a resetter some cartridges can be reset, so you will not need to disable ink monitoring. But when Canon introduces new printers, it usually takes 1-2 years before a resetter is available, and resetters are only developed for the most popular cartridges.

I think the EEPROM also contains adjustments made when testing the printer after manufacture and other settings, which I think should not be deleted.

I think it is impossible to change the programs without access to the source code and a knowledge of Canon printer firmware.

Edit: The new version 3200 seems also to work with 64 bit Windows. See post #34

isavour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
Thank you for the link :) I tested the new v3200 on a Pixma 3600 and a computer running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, and it works well. My guess is that it like the previous versions will work with Win XP, Vista and 7, but only with 32 bit versions of the OS's.

The reason it cannot clear the EEPROM and thus delete the printers history could be related to warranty claims. For instance I think this line in the EEPROM print records the number of times the ink monitoring has been disabled: INK_OFF(PBK=0 BK=0 Y=0 M=0 C=0). If ink monitoring has been turned off to use a refilled cartridge, warranty is void. I'm sure Canon doesn't want this information to be deleted. With a resetter some cartridges can be reset, so you will not need to disable ink monitoring. But when Canon introduces new printers, it usually takes 1-2 years before a resetter is available, and resetters are only developed for the most popular cartridges.

I think the EEPROM also contains adjustments made when testing the printer after manufacture and other settings, which I think should not be deleted.

I think it is impossible to change the programs without access to the source code and a knowledge of Canon printer firmware.
The new v3200 works on my 64 bit Windows 8. So it is likely will work on other 64bit systems.

I think Canon China's warranty policy is sucks. They set an expected print pages for 1800 per year for the MP288. If print more than 1800 pages no matter how long the printer has been used the 1-year warranty is lost. This is why I want a page counter resetter.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I thought I'd try v3200 on my Pro9000 II. I noticed CH=002. This according to one list is supposed to indicate the print head replacement count.
As the printer is about a year old and the printhead has never been removed, let alone changed (sealed box when new), I find this interesting. I suppose it could have been in final testing.

Has any comprehensive list of service mode codes been posted on this site?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
isavour wrote:

The new v3200 works on my 64 bit Windows 8. So it is likely will work on other 64bit systems.
This is good news. So it looks like users of 64 bit Windows will no longer have to search for a 32 bit Windows computer to borrow for running the earlier versions of the service program. Thank you very much for the information. :)

isavour wrote:
I think Canon China's warranty policy is sucks. They set an expected print pages for 1800 per year for the MP288. If print more than 1800 pages no matter how long the printer has been used the 1-year warranty is lost. This is why I want a page counter resetter.
I agree. That seems a very restrictive warranty policy. I checked the European warranty conditions, and they don't state a maximum of printed pages, but they state that excessive use, among other things, will void the warranty. I wonder what is considered excessive use?

Emulator wrote:
Has any comprehensive list of service mode codes been posted on this site?
Not as far as I know. So you will need the service manual to find them. If you are lucky you might find a site to buy a download from. If you are very lucky you might find a free download.

vk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have followed all the steps here, to reset printer using the Service Tool, however my printer does not respond. I'm trying to fix error 5b00 (which seems to indicate a full ink waste tank.). I cleaned the ink absorber pads today, and manually refilled ink cartridges. I've done this before, but never had a severe issue.

When I put my canon mx860 into service/idle mode, and run the Service Tool software, all the text and buttons are grayed out. I can't adjust any levels.
I'm on Windows 7, 32 bit, if it makes a difference.

I have tried Service Tool versions:

The response is the same. Can anyone offer a solution?
I'm at a loss, and of course I absolutely need to print tomorrow for a deadline.
Thanks!

Update: Ran this on a laptop with Win7, and also from an old PC with WinXP. The result is the same for all 4 versions of the service tool. Now what? :(

Final Update: Sooo, turns out I forgot to connect my wireless mx860 to my laptop, via USB. That's a pretty crucial step.
I was able to set Canon Service Tool v2000 to Win7 mode, and run it successfully, once I connected printer to computer via USB.
Problem solved.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi vk

Thank you for the info that you need a USB connection to run the service tools on a wireless printer. It might save others for the trouble you had. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have found a Version 3400, in a somewhat dubious download: http://www.mediafire.com/?3xq4ep8qry3x4jw This dowload is 9.5 MB, but the download contains two files after unpacking: The service tool v 3400 which is 434 KB and an unknown file named st3400 which is 11194 KB, it appears to be a broken .png file, better delete it, don't try to open it.

I use AVG internet security, paid deluxe version and for an extra check of downloads the freeware MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware). Neither program found anything suspicious in the download.

I have tested the v3400 on a computer running Windows Vista Home premium 32 bit and a Pixma 3600 and it works. I think this version also supports 64 bit Windows.

Update: The link no longer works.

Last edited:

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
I have found a Version 3400, in a somewhat dubious download:.
back again been playing with tool v3200 and there are 2 boxes relating to ink absorber 1st 1 is clear ink counter and 2nd is ink absorber counter. is the 1st one the absorber shelf life counter.
my absorber life counter is df=8 and according to the service manual it should be replaced if less than 24 yet absorber is only 10% full:ep
i also see there some counters for p on and various ones relating to page, is there a page counter going on here as i dont see any utility for page count resetting.
if you know the correct buttons to select for resetting absorber, absorber life and page resetting if needed can you post or messge them.
cant understand the life counter for the absorber being so low, only had the printer since september 2012!