Pixma MP560 - Won't power ON after disassembled to clean Ink Absorber!

Hanger18

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Hi - My Pixma MP560 now won't Power On -After switching on at the mains socket, I get 2 brief Green LED flashes, then it goes straight to solid Amber, and just stays there, with none of the Control panel buttons (on the printer) having any effect.

This has started since I followed the Canon Tech Service Manual (and Parts Catalog), disassembled as they instructed, cleaned the dreaded Ink Absorber, and reassembled - all following their instructions and cautions.
I've had the printer about 4 years, and then gave it to my Dad - who's had it about 3 years. It's used maybe an hour per day. It's always been run on (mostly) Printhead compatible cartridges - without any problems.

So far I've checked the connection of the Power supply unit, and harness, double checked the connections to the Logic board are the same as before I disassembled - took photos - and checked that they all seem properly physically connected. I have cleaned the printhead, and also tried powering on with it removed - same result. Also tried holding down the Stop/Reset button with the Pwr button, then switching on - no difference.

I have just noticed that there is a tiny green LED - Simply marked LED 1 on the PE Sensor board - this doesn't appear to switch on - If it's supposed to!??

From what I've read, the answer seems to be most likely a fried - or at least faulty Logic board. I'm used to working on desktops- replacing mobo's etc and took anti-static precautions with the board - when it was out of the machine it was in an A/S bag - but I get how sensitive these things are!

I've just put in a couple of pix of the Logic board - just in case I am going mad, and someone spots an obvious screw up - All helpful ideas most welcome and will be very gratefully received - I haven't the faintest clue how to actually test the Logic board for continuity etc - or if such a thing is even possible! (Doh!)

Thanks
(Hanging 18)
IMG_20210813_103513.jpg
IMG_20210813_103627.jpg

Hanger18

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Hi Peter
Thanks for that - I'm guessing the flat foil cable you mean is the one shown in the top Left Hand corner of the 1st pic - and in the middle of the 2nd pic? That def' makes sense and I've double checked it - Seems to be firmly attached at both the main board(logic - am guessing they are the same thing?). I have noticed though that the flat foil cable which connects the Control panel board to the LCD - cable goes into the brown slot on the board - which has a kinda hinged clip on it.

The idea seems to be that you "open" the clip, and then it should snap shut and hold the end of the cable firmly in the socket. The clip does close, but it is not firmly holding the cable in - not sure if this is just a red herring and it's not supposed to be gripping the cable?
I didn't remove this before - just left this cable attached to the board and left the LCD attached.

I've added the pic in case you're wondering what the hell I'm on about!

Thanks for any other ideas you have.....
IMG_20210813_130354.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think you have found the error. Canon uses at least three different Flat Foil Cable (FFC) connectors. Some have no locking mechanism, you can pull the cable out and push it back in without unlocking/locking the connector. The connector with the brown plastic part has got a locking mechanism. To insert the cable make sure the connector is unlocked, insert the cable and lock the connector. It should hold the cable firmly when the connector is locked.

Here is a crop from your photo. It looks like the connector has got two locking tabs, I have marked them with arrows. I think they should be lifted/turned upwards to unlock the connector and pressed down to lock the connector. To me the connector appears locked on the photo. Be careful with these connectors, they are fragile.

FFC locking tab.jpg

Here is another locking FFC connector it is from a Canon MP495, here it is locked:

FFC connector locked.jpg

And here the black part is lifted to unlock the connector:

FFC connector unlocked.jpg

I think the brown connector is the cause of the problem. It doesn't look broken to me. So I would try to gently lift the white tabs, insert the cable and push down the tabs to lock the connector. Hopefully the connector works this way

Last edited:

Hanger18

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Thanks alot for that - Yes, you are totally correct, I've now got it snapped in and gripping the cable.

Unfortunately, the power problem remains - and still no output to the display - I plug into the mains, get 2 brief Green LED flashes, then it goes straight to solid Amber, and just stays there (without me touching the control panel).

I've googled this several times - found loads of different "solutions" - mainly just for other Pixma's - but none of them have made any difference!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sadly I don't know what is wrong then. I can only suggest to check once more that all cables are connected and properly seated in their connectors.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
get 2 brief Green LED flashes, then it goes straight to solid Amber, and just stays there
The solid Orange can mean a paper jam. Unfortunately, you do not have to have a paper jam for the printer to alarm in this way. Checklist of possible reasons:

https://www.fixya.com/support/t26658561-canon_ip7240_orange_alarm_light_stays

Now for a wild hare... A solid orange occurs when entering Service Mode. It's part of the alternating Orange and Green lights as you navigate to the Service function of interest. Is it possible to be stuck in the middle of Service Mode?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
your MP560 is of the same vintage as the MP830, they even use the same print head, QY6-0073.

i had several MP830s, disassembled one down to replace the waste pads, then tore apart several other MP830s to replace/swap the scanner unit.
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-pad-replacement-at-37-000-pages-w-pics.7646/

the 830 has several ribbon cables, many are difficult to seat properly. one more than on occasion i plugged them in upside down. to resolve i unplugged every cable and then slowly and carefully connected them back. once i got them in right the 830 worked fine.

for the next surgery i took pics before i disassembled, that helped some, but still was not easy seating the pesky ribbon cables into the connectors.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes