Weird colour banding on Pro-1

The Ragster

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
When I rebuilt my printer after fitting my Potty, the nozzle check and first prints were as perfect as before. Then I decided to do a A3+ (SuperB) print and noticed horizontal banding. It seems to be getting worse with every print. Attached are the new nozzle checks on both plain and Oyster paper. Has my printhead suddenly gone? I did a standard clean, but this made no odds. Would a deep clean be the next step?

Attachments

• Oyster271Paper.jpg
    Oyster271Paper.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 373
  • PlainPaper.jpg
    PlainPaper.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 312

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Looks like horrible ink contamination of one or more of the Magentas or Red plus one or more of the Grays or Blacks. Check the cartridges and the print head for leaked ink and that all are seated properly and he print head is locked in position (if there is a lever which locks it down).

Once you fix he contamination/leaking hen you can move on to the banding/streaking.

Normal nozzle check:

o_main040.jpg

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/PRO-1 v1-1 series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1300.html

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Would a deep clean be the next step?
No.. !
I can’t make a clear decision as to what the problem could be just yet, but you do have some grey contamination on block (2) and the cyan is missing on the second print, and it could be just waste ink coming from the purge pads.

I would first try and clean the purge station (Pads) the pump could be bunged up with ink, because you said in your other thread that there wasn’t any ink coming out of the waste tube yet.

Try pouring window cleaner onto the pads, use a large syringe to douse the whole area and then try a normal head clean, then let the printer sit for ½ hour and then try another nozzle check, it’s unlikely you have a cartridge leak, but try this first..

The Ragster

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
I gave the cleaning pads a good clean, removed the printhead and cleaned that up (although it didn't look too bad). When re-assembled. it appeared nothing had changed, except one of the nozzle groups was particularly worse. So I did a few system cleans of that and lo-and-behold it improved. I repeated this with the other two group and all is now well. I also noted that the potty started to fill up - surely a good sign. It is truly shocking to see how much ink gets purged! So I'm not sure if I have just got a blocked purge pipe, or what, but all is now well. Thank you again guys for all your help.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the feedback. Happy to hear your printer is back in working order. Good job. :thumbsup

Latest posts