Waste Ink Tank pads.

NEP_ART

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
whats the best way to get my paws on the material in the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 waste tank? i think im gonna try tampons and just stuff it chalk full lol.
Any Ideas??

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone ignored the first "Ink pads full" warning without ink spillover happening?
I have never hear of this happening the first time before. I would be concerned if it was say, the third time. I have read of some people that claim to have ignored that notice 3 or 4 times without ink spilling out of the printer. I won't do that myself but wonder about it. I suspect that the companies tend to overstate the problem a bit.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
NEP_ART said:
whats the best way to get my paws on the material in the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 waste tank? i think im gonna try tampons and just stuff it chalk full lol.
Any Ideas??
I wouldn't use tampons unless you do some basic tests first to check on the amount of expansion that will take place for a single unit then do your math and only use the number that would expand no great than the tray your pads are held in... Even then, I'd maybe think twice..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OutOFtheinkwell said:
Just wondering, has anyone ignored the first "Ink pads full" warning without ink spillover happening?
I have never hear of this happening the first time before. I would be concerned if it was say, the third time. I have read of some people that claim to have ignored that notice 3 or 4 times without ink spilling out of the printer. I won't do that myself but wonder about it. I suspect that the companies tend to overstate the problem a bit.
I've had customers ring and tell me that they're onto their second reset without pad changing but invariably they have contacted me because they've learned about the pads, done a little reality check and found excess ink doing an impression of the blob.

I've also heard from people who have opened their printer before they even do a single reset to find their pads are soaked through...

Making an educated guess I'd say the former is probably fairly common and you have to remember that the pads and limit are going to be configured to a safe approximation so that the owner can send the unit by post, or travelling in the back of the car to a service centre. If the pads were leeching excess ink that would not be a particularly fun package to receive at a service centre or indeed have swilling new patterns over your car upholstery (can we say lawsuit?).

So, net effect is that the whole thing is very conservative.

As for the folks who discover ink soaked pads from hell... Based on the evidence I've pulled together the bulk tend to relate to CIS overpressure, poorly designed cartridges or missing refill plugs...

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
OutOFtheinkwell said:
I have heard of people doing a couple resets and continuing without any problem but I had a bad experience because I was using lots of Windex on the purge pads and that ended up with a mess under the bottom of my printer. I was using the Windex because I was using Inktec's pigment black ink which I later learned clogged the waste ink pads and prevented them from allowing the ink to migrate all the way to the other side of the printer. I incorrectly thought that Windex would evaporate inside the printers but after taking one apart and seeing that the pads were very wet and totally enclosed, I realized that no evaporation occurs.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The bottom line with any experience is not to ass-u-me but to regularly check waste pad capacity if you've completed a reset. If you don't want to do that then fit an external waste kit and save yourself the bother... Doing neither is just bug-ugly stupid... but they you may like paying for a new carpet.

Just a thought ;)