Vinyl stic

Adriatix

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP 1800 MG3500
Ps I also ought to add that the Pixma Pro 10s uses pigment not dye-based inks. Not sure if this would make a difference or not?

Only Pigment ink is not good enough. It should have some kind of polymer or resin besides pigment

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Only Pigment ink is not good enough. It should have some kind of polymer or resin besides pigment
@Adriatix, Nope, I don’t know where your coming from, but pigment ink is more than up to the job, now dye ink, that’s questionable...

Adriatix

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP 1800 MG3500
@Adriatix, Nope, I don’t know where your coming from, but pigment ink is more than up to the job, now dye ink, that’s questionable...

Wrong. Pigment ink is not stretch resistant without resin on synthetic printable media. Have you ever heard about something called > Liquid Lamination for Car wrapping foils.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Adriatix, We could be here all day on this one, but no that’s incorrect again, I print on Papilio gloss vinyl labels and my pigment ink does not scratch or rub off, and it preforms the same on plain Matte surfaces also...

Adriatix

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP 1800 MG3500
Have you tried to put that label in water Or on rain and in fridge ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

Adriatix

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP 1800 MG3500
@Adriatix, It’s 100% waterproof, that’s why I use Papilio labels, but it does fade a little in sun light after 5 or 6 years, but so does most labels...

This often happens here...;)

If you print on plain paper with pigment inks it still 100% water proof

But here we are talking about printing on vinyl. And you cant print on vinyl with Canon water based ink unless that vinyl is printable. Or it has some kind of coating that water based ink can dissolve. Or penetrate into it. Other wise you would not need that printable coating. But if this coating can be dissolved by ink. Or ink can penetrate in that coating than the water can do the same thing if you expose that label to some hash wet conditions. Therefore you need a liquid lamination to protect that printable coating. Then you are safe. Even with UV resin water based inks you need some kind of pretreatment or clear ink to prevent water base ink interbreeding.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
And you cant print on vinyl with Canon water based ink unless that vinyl is printable.
The OP is using Pigment inks, not Dye-based inks.

The Hat said he has success with Pigment inks and Papilio gloss vinyl labels.

Have you had a poor experience with this ink-label combination?

Adriatix

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP 1800 MG3500
Take a look at this image
It is printed at standard not inkjet printable Avery white vinyl + additional printable layer with polymer pigment ink on Canon iP1700.
It is 100% water proof but this surface is still soft and sensitive unless it is not liquid laminated. Same way as that is done on warping foil for vehicles

So this can be done. But only if it is done a proper way

Attachments

• Avery_Acryl_2_XXL.jpg
    Avery_Acryl_2_XXL.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 346