Urgent: How to Bring Back the Canon MP280 to What It Once Was after CISS Conversion to Get Rid of E14 Error?

Alvin777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP287
Hello printer friends, I want to go back the converted MP280 from CISS to the way it was before but because the Service Tool was used to CISS, my two genuine, unmodified Canon CL-210 and CL-211XL which is black and colored cartridges respectively can't be recognized (ERROR E14) inspite of havine cleaned the contacts really on both the cartridges and the printer's contacts.

How do I bring it back to the way it was before using the same app, the Service Tool (or another app) or some kind of hardware solution like a hardware or printer reset (like a hard boot on a PC) so that it accepts regular, genuine cartridges again?

Thank you. God bless you, Rev. 21:4

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
if it registers the ciss carts when reinserted it could be that the printer is programmed(e.g a printer bought overseas)/reprogrammed for another region as usually the CISS conversions reuse the original cartridge in 2 cartridge printers and just disable ink monitoring.

if the ciss carts can still print atleast text maybe printing an eeprom printout using the service tool and checking whether the destination setting matches with your location is probably a good first step to troubleshoot. if the CISS carts are not detected either then the problem may be the flex cable/contacts having defects.

if the region differs then you could either try cartridges from that region or changing the destination setting to match your region but that runs the risk of bricking the printer and even if the printer's software allows such a change may not give the desired effect of allowing your printer to operate on local genuine cartridges.

Alvin777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP287
if it registers the ciss carts when reinserted it could be that the printer is programmed(e.g a printer bought overseas)/reprogrammed for another region as usually the CISS conversions reuse the original cartridge in 2 cartridge printers and just disable ink monitoring.

if the ciss carts can still print atleast text maybe printing an eeprom printout using the service tool and checking whether the destination setting matches with your location is probably a good first step to troubleshoot. if the CISS carts are not detected either then the problem may be the flex cable/contacts having defects.

if the region differs then you could either try cartridges from that region or changing the destination setting to match your region but that runs the risk of bricking the printer and even if the printer's software allows such a change may not give the desired effect of allowing your printer to operate on local genuine cartridges.
Hi, when I use the CISS cartridges it's fine (those are both genuine too but I drilled the holes for the CISS tubes), the CISS cartridges, I actually converted them to just be refillable whereby I made 3 silicon plugs for the colored cartridge and 1 for the black cartridge, there are no more tubes or tanks from the CISS.

If I could find the manual for the Service Tool, perhaps it bring it back to what the printer was but perhaps you can kind of "decode" its buttons based on your experience: Canon SErvice tool MP280

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon has divided the world into 8 regions and a printer only works with cartridges from its own region. Here is a list of the regions:

Region 1 for South American and Mexican markets
Region 2 for North American market = USA and Canada
Region 3 for Japanese market
Region 4 for Middle East, Russian and African markets
Region 5 for European and Australian markets *)
Region 7 for Asian market
Region 8 for Chinese market
*) With the introduction of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridges Australia and New Zeeland got their own region 6:
PGI-650, CLI-651 C/M/Y/BK/GY

The region can be seen from the type number of the printer and cartridges. For instance is your MP287 intended for use in region 7 Asia and your cartridges CL-210 and CL-211XL intended for use in region 2 North America. This is the reason the cartridges are not recognized.

With a service tool the printer's region can be changed, but that only determines the default plain paper format and if metric or imperial units of measure are used in menus and if CD printing is allowed if the printer has this capability. Changing the region from a service tool does not change the region of the needed cartridges.

In stead you need to change the region setting in the EEPROM chip using an EEPROM programmer. You will need to find the proper file to flash to the EEPROM to change the region.

This thread is about changing the EEPROM content of an Asian MP280 that was brought to USA and of course would not work with the American cartridges. Here and here are more threads about reprogramming the EEPROM chip.

Maybe it is time for a new printer?

Last edited:

Alvin777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP287
Canon has divided the world into 8 regions and a printer only works with cartridges from its own region. Here is a list of the regions:

Region 1 for South American and Mexican markets
Region 2 for North American market = USA and Canada
Region 3 for Japanese market
Region 4 for Middle East, Russian and African markets
Region 5 for European and Australian markets *)
Region 7 for Asian market
Region 8 for Chinese market
*) With the introduction of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridges Australia and New Zeeland got their own region 6:
PGI-650, CLI-651 C/M/Y/BK/GY

The region can be seen from the type number of the printer and cartridges. For instance is your MP287 intended for use in region 7 Asia and your cartridges CL-210 and CL-211XL intended for use in region 2 North America. This is the reason the cartridges are not recognized.

With a service tool the printer's region can be changed, but that only determines the default plain paper format and if metric or imperial units of measure are used in menus and if CD printing is allowed if the printer has this capability. Changing the region from a service tool does not change the region of the needed cartridges.

In stead you need to change the region setting in the EEPROM chip using an EEPROM programmer. You will need to find the proper file to flash to the EEPROM to change the region.

This thread is about changing the EEPROM content of an Asian MP280 that was brought to USA and of course would not work with the American cartridges. Here and here are more threads about reprogramming the EEPROM chip.

Maybe it is time for a new printer?
Thanks, so we're planning of buying a new one a Brother All-in-One that has built-in continuous but don't have the time budget for it at the moment (heavy, unique challenges with budgets int he household).

I think when I used the Canon Service Tool for the CISS conversion of the MP280, it now sees it as one of Canon's continuous ink printer models coz' on Windows 11 it would tell me about the cartridges to buy that it will recognized: a cartridge with the 810 series (along this number that starts with 8).

I hope I can dump the EEPROM w/ it's original using the Service Tool app.

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Thanks, so we're planning of buying a new one a Brother All-in-One that has built-in continuous but don't have the time budget for it at the moment (heavy, unique challenges with budgets int he household).

I think when I used the Canon Service Tool for the CISS conversion of the MP280, it now sees it as one of Canon's continuous ink printer models coz' on Windows 11 it would tell me about the cartridges to buy that it will recognized: a cartridge with the 810 series (along this number that starts with 8).

I hope I can dump the EEPROM w/ it's original using the Service Tool app.
I don't think the official service tool can flash a EEPROM dump so you'll still need a hardware flasher to do the job regardless.If the CISS carts can still print fine it's probably more economical to keep those running. you risk breaking the printer further by messing with the EEPROM and potentially risk it to not recognize either of the carts or worse cause it to not turn on.

Did the printer ever accepted cartridges from your region? if it did prior to the ciss conversion then you can try setting the destination setting to your region as a last ditch effort before buying an EEPROM Programmer. your specific printer series may have had allowed changing ink cartridge regions (As PeterBJ has stated this is usually not allowed by service tool operations).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Out of curiosity I have tried to change the region setting on an iP2700 which BTW is the printing engine in the MP280 series of printers. The needed cartridges didn't change with the region change from a service tool. See this post.

@Alvin777 Which version of the Canon service tool did you use for the CIS conversion and why was that needed? I also wonder where you are located, where you bought the printer from, where you bought the CIS conversion kit from and where you bought the original cartridges from. It looks like it is not the same region?

Alvin777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP287
Hi, thanks, the Service Tools looks like this, the version 1 has an EEPROM clear button version 3 has none. Usually this Service Tool would be clickable (meaning the buttons won't be grayed out) if you set your printer to service mode first but I guess during the CISS conversion years ago I set its EEPROM to be always on service mode so it can use continuous ink.

If any knows who to bring it back to the way it used to be using the Service Tool app, that'd be great (how come the tutorial never warn you can't bring it back to factory once it's set by the Service Tool).

ServiceTool_V1074_ip2770Screenshot.png

Service tool v3400 Screenshot.png

What's in the 'Other' tab version 3.4:

Service tool v3400 Other Tab Screenshot.png

I'm thinking perhaps I just need to get out of Service Mode which is has been for years, maybe.

Attachments

• Service tool v3400 Other Tab Screenshot.png
    Service tool v3400 Other Tab Screenshot.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Service tool v3400 Auto Tab Screenshot.png
    Service tool v3400 Auto Tab Screenshot.png
    32 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Alvin777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP287
Out of curiosity I have tried to change the region setting on an iP2700 which BTW is the printing engine in the MP280 series of printers. The needed cartridges didn't change with the region change from a service tool. See this post.

@Alvin777 Which version of the Canon service tool did you use for the CIS conversion and why was that needed? I also wonder where you are located, where you bought the printer from, where you bought the CIS conversion kit from and where you bought the original cartridges from. It looks like it is not the same region
Hi, thanks for the link. That some kind of code that was printed, if you scan that, will it bring the EEPROM to its factory programming, bringing the MP280 to its original state? Where's the one for JPN or japan (asia)?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If any knows who to bring it back to the way it used to be using the Service Tool app
From what I can tell is you’ve been sold a pup, because there should never be a need to use any Service tool when installing a CISS on any Canon printer..

The way to exit the Service tool properly is to just turn off your printer with its own power button and exit the Service tool by closing it down..
(how come the tutorial never warn you can't bring it back to factory once it's set by the Service Tool).
It has been stated here on this forum for years, that when using the service tool to be extra cautious when clicking on any of the functions because most of these functions are irreversible and may in fact damage your printer.. Sorry..