1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Assistance needed - Epson 1430 sudden complete clogging or air in print heads
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Canon MP280 EEPROM print

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by Tony_SD, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:21 PM.

1. Sep 13, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    Tony_SD

Tony_SD Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon MP288
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for a MP280 printer EEPROM print or dump, a picture of printed paper is also fine. It's better that the printer is sold in US and supports PG-210 ink cartridge. Thanks in advance!

The Hat likes this.
  2. Sep 14, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    Are you trying to change the printers region by re-flashing the EEPROM? Please more details. Re-flashing the EEPROM in some Canon printers is a very interesting subject as it might be the key to unlock locked service mode.

The Hat likes this.
  3. Sep 14, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    Tony_SD

Tony_SD Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon MP288
    Yes, I moved to US with my printer from Asia, and found out that my printer doesn't support the ink cartridge sold here, but it can print normally in service mode with incompatible ink cartridge, so obviously the printer just doesn't want to work with the ink sold here. After some research on internet, looks like there is a ink cartridge regional code stored in the EEPROM on control board. Screenshot below from Canon MP280 service reference menu indicates that the code won't be erased when EEPROM is cleaned.

upload_2019-9-14_12-12-12.png

So looks like I have two options to resolve this problem, one is to find a EEPROM dump or print from a MP280 sold in US and re-flash it to the EEPROM to make it compatible with the ink sold here (PG-210/PG-211). The other is to find out where the ink cartridge regional code is stored in EEPROM and change it, this will need more time and effort, but should be doable.

I have opened the printer and removed the EEPROM and mounted it on an adapter card, I also found a programmer kit to re-flash this SPI EEPROM, the kit has been reworked to support 3.3V power supply and I/O voltage.

upload_2019-9-14_12-21-58.png

upload_2019-9-14_12-22-24.png

upload_2019-9-14_12-22-49.png

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    stratman, The Hat and Artur5 like this.
  4. Sep 14, 2019 at 9:12 PM
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    The easiest way to overcome the regional chip problem is to reuse the Asian chips and put them on the US cartridges and re set the chips with a resetter and refill the existing carts or purchase aftermarket carts and transfer the chip onto them.. ;)

Not as bold or as daring as your method but it works…:D

5. Sep 14, 2019 at 10:59 PM
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Similar was done with optical drives - CD/DVD burners - to extend and often improve upon their usage. Firmware would be altered from the OEM original, sometimes from an EEPROM dump, and then flashed to the drive's EEPROM oftentimes using a custom flash app.

I hope you can get the ball rolling on similar functions with printers. It really would open up a new world for the more adventurous citizen printers.