Syringes & Needles : Legalities Question

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
websnail said:
The Durchstich "German" method of refilling requires a sharp needle intially to make the small hole required for refilling so it is relevant.
I disagree.

I have only used blunt 18 guage needles on all of my refilled Canon cartridges. I have had zero problems either with the initial insertion of a blunt needle or the multiple re-insertions thereafter.

Maybe the push pin I use to make the hole in the cartridge plastic unintentionally "primes" the way for the blunt needle. Maybe not. Regardless, a sharp needle is not required.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
OK... useful info...

Can I suggest we get our hackles down now... Seems this thread turned into something else for a little while there and it's showing in the posting tone.

If we must get annoyed, please direct it to the idiots at eBay who charge 12% final value fee on eBay.com... You can help but feel they're holding the guns and it's aimed at sellers heads... Daylight robbery anyone?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Websnail:

I actually toned down my tone before posting. ;-)

Don't know if this will make you feel any better, but, eBay does not allow auction of firearms as well.

The 12% fee seems rather extortionary. Yet more proof it takes money to make money. Unfortunately, sometimes "it" takes a lot of your money! On the bright side, no firearms were needed to pluck the ducats from our pockets.

In the immortal words of Rodney King: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfr2CgIPhg

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try buying blunt needles then a bit of hobby work on the tip, first with a fine grinder then a sharpening stone to hone it fine. It's not like it has to go through flesh without to much pain(unless you slip).
I had to do this in the past before sourcing sharp 50mm needles.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ron350 said:
I see ebay is letting sellers list blunt dispensing needles.
Is this the only way ebay will let you sell needles?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Di....m270.l1313&_odkw=Dispensing+Needle&_osacat=0
Seems that way... my refill kit listings wer shut down ages ago now because of sharp needles included in the kit. Bizarrely nobody at eBay could actually tell me who or why it had been pulled for quite a while.

You're actually likely to have as many problems selling a syringe in some states due to the drug paraphenalia laws used to bust dealers carrying or selling the syringes...

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
In the town I live at in Texas, I can buy syringes and sharp needles at the local Farm & Ranch store, but the longest they sell is 1.5 inch. I finally got some 21 gauge 2" blunt needles and did my first "German method" refill today on some Canon BCI-6 carts. They worked perfect, very little( if any) resistance going through the sponge.

Everts

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Very glad with you guys ! Through this forum I 'discovered' the German Durchstich method. Imagine .... we are next door neighbours, as I live in Holland (The Netherlands) and Germany from my village is only 25 miles from here. As I use a cannon IP4600 , I found chips that do not have to be reset, so I am going to refill the original Canon cartridges. Needles are no problem here : a close friend of mine is a pharmacist. But even so : money buys these things with no strings attached. The Dutch government finds it highly appropiate to sell ( or even give ) junkies a clean needle. My only adiction is computers, so no problem at all. Next stage : ordering the correct ink. Any advice ?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You know I did notice that it can be fairly difficult to insert a blunt in some foam carts. My solution Sharpen your needles. I just lightly run it over a diamond sharpening stone and then clean out the hole subsequently with an exacto knife and presto I can insert the needle and if I so feel like it shoot up some ink :lol: