Syringes & Needles : Legalities Question

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Strangely enough purchasing a gun in the USA is easier than buying some relatively harmless sharp needles.....
That's it.
From now on I'm using the Dirty Harry method on those damn carts.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pharmacist said:
I do take them from my own shop. I think it an advantage to be at the source. Strangely enough purchasing a gun in the USA is easier than buying some relatively harmless sharp needles.....
You know, I never actually thought about it from that point of view...

The mind truly boggles doesn't it :D

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'd rather have a firearm than a sharp needle... except when I need to sew some clothing, suture up a laceration or refill an ink cartridge. And my firearms have been 100% harmless, except to some paper and a few empty cans which were ventilated in due course.

Besides the obvious chipping away of liberties by politicians for our "own good", the issue of sharps is a tempest in a teapot. Blunt needles work just as well as sharps. There is no convincing evidence to support the use of sharps over blunt needles, only ideological dogma, which takes us back to the non sequitur of firearms in this thread.

Needles and syringes can be purchased without prescription in my state. I could not find 2" and larger needles at my local pharmacies, though. These long needle lengths are specialty items and not required by diabetics, phlebotomists or the vast majority of physicians. The laws of supply and demand most likely are the overriding principle in the absence of longer needles from shelves, at least in my state.

Besides, what self-respecting junkie would need a 3" needle to shoot up?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Stratman,

My comment about about those syringes is the freedom to purchase sharp needles without any limitations by us -refillers- in comparison to the USA policies to have everyone the right to bear firearms. I did not say anything about whether these stat laws ar good or bad, but to put everything in comparison that the prohibition of selling or buying long sharp needles is just ludicrous. If you can buy guns, then let people buy long sharp needles if they want. Sounds like reasonable, not ?

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can't you not just buy Syringes that are not needle pointed? That would probably solve many of your problems. I know when you got to the stores in Canada and buy a kit the needle that comes with it is round. So you can't use it to stick yourself with but since your just using it to poke a sponge with it a needle without a tip should be able to do it no problem.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
chobo2 said:
Can't you not just buy Syringes that are not needle pointed? That would probably solve many of your problems. I know when you got to the stores in Canada and buy a kit the needle that comes with it is round. So you can't use it to stick yourself with but since your just using it to poke a sponge with it a needle without a tip should be able to do it no problem.
Unfortunately that approach isn't what the sharp needles are used for... The Durchstich "German" method of refilling requires a sharp needle intially to make the small hole required for refilling so it is relevant.

As for the whole gun thing... That's way off topic and something for a general chat thread... sorry I went there myself
*cue: self moderating slap on hand*

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I found that the German method required a sharp needle for non-Canon carts.

The ones with foam inserts (Hobbilcolors) were compressed with the blunt needle.
The foam also ended up being pushed into the reservoir on the tip of the needle and as the ink was injected it quickly soaked into the sponge and out the top vent.
The Canon carts seem to have a layered composition that the needle can seek through easier.

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Websnail,
If you are just after making the initial small hole could you not use any small sharp object. I use a joiners awl (a small hand held tool with a sharp tapered point). as I gradually push it into the chamber I keep checking with the needle to ensure the diameter does not get to big.
If you don't have an awl I guess you could use a sharp sewing needle or small diameter nail held in a pair of mole grips.
My own problem was getting a needle long enough to reach the second chamber.
Hope this helps

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Unfortunately if it was just the small initial hole I'd recommend an awl myself but the sharp tip provides a sort of lead point which helps push the sponge apart and create the necessary path for the rest of the needle, whereas a blunt needle just pushes up against a larger area and causes the sponge to bunch up and jam.

I guess a long needle would do the trick too but then in a burst of irony, it's harder to transport/mail a sewing needle than it is to send a sharp syringe needle because there's no cover provided.

At the end of the day I'm happy enough that I got a definitive answer from eBay even if it's not based on law but a nanny rules R'Us approach... and really the whole needles and syringes thing was more to help folks out rather than get into a David and Goliath (the alternative ending) type contest ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pharmacist said:
Stratman,

My comment about about those syringes is the freedom to purchase sharp needles without any limitations by us -refillers- in comparison to the USA policies to have everyone the right to bear firearms. I did not say anything about whether these stat laws ar good or bad, but to put everything in comparison that the prohibition of selling or buying long sharp needles is just ludicrous. If you can buy guns, then let people buy long sharp needles if they want. Sounds like reasonable, not ?
As I stated in my post, the issue is Liberty, which we appear to agree upon.

Please lay your consternation at the feet of those responsible for needle laws - drug addicts, politicians, delivery services, and waste management services. Each of the afore mentioned had a role in the enactment of laws, laws that were never approved via direct vote of the people.

BTW, something I find ludicrous was Chicago banning foie gras (now repealed).