Syringes & Needles : Legalities Question

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Having just had a refill kit nuked by eBay and had very little luck getting a definitive answer on what is and isn't allowed by them (follow up expected - I hope) I thought I'd throw this out to folks and see if someone can shed some light on this or indeed find out if anyone else was aware of this.

Until now the sale and postage of needles was a big issue that various folks indicated was very problematic in the US in particular but I've just discovered that in many US states the sale of even a syringe is impossible without a prescription.

This begs the question, how the flippin' heck do Americans in those states refill their cartridges?

My best guess is that many folks weren't even aware of this or, if they were, they just ignored it as best they could and avoided mentioning what their kit contained in the hope they'd duck under the fence.

Either way, I've just had to yank my other syringe listings from eBay until I get a definitive on whether it's even a dodgy issue in the UK...

Any input and/or feedback on this would be a big help at this point...

Martin

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
USA syringe laws (data may not be current or completely accurate for that matter like anything else on the internet)

http://www.temple.edu/lawschool/phrhcs/map.htm

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/state-law/state-prescription-laws.html

Syringe and needle laws were made to not only guard against intravenous drug abuse but also to direct safe transport and disposal methods. Sharps may not be delivered in certain states without proper credentials or prescription. Blunt needles seem to not have the same delivery issues in general. I would imagine that safe disposal of all syringes and needles come under the jurisdiction of each state to protect those involved with their disposal.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Why don't you call the syringe an "ink refilling pump" and a needle an "ink refilling applicator"?

Perhaps that would that get round the laws.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've had a look around and spoken to my Uncle who's a Doctor and whilst there doesn't seem to be any legal standpoint re: selling syringes and needles, there does seem to be an issue regarding the potential intent to sell for illegal use (most likely drugs). From what I can tell it's meant to be a way to catch dealers with "paraphernalia" or some such. Either way, I could be seen to fall foul... :/

So, on reflection it seems the sensible option here is to re-work the whole thing and resell blunt needles as separate items and only sell sharps as part of a refilling kit complete with ink, etc... Then there's clearly no intent to supply for anything else.

This creates a bit of an issue for those who were looking to get the kit for their own inks but unless some legal beagle tells me otherwise I can't see any other way around it. :(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
After looking at this a bit more it looks a lot more like somehow I've drawn attention to my sales...

A quick look on eBay in the UK and there's a plethora of sharp needles, syringes and more besides... It may just be that I've got them down as international sales and thus gotten in hot water re: USA regulations.. Hopefully I'll see soon.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok... finally after a lot of persistence I got a definitive answer from eBay although now that I re-read it I'm none the bloody wiser..

We only allow blunt needles that are used for anything other than medical items or prescription drugs.
... erm?!!! Not my original query!! Talk about pick a question they can answer and ignore the main one.

I'm now at the point of asking main dealers and the original manufacturers but in every single instance to date I've gotten a response which usually goes something like this:

Huh?! Really? ... Odd!... Well we don't know of anything illegal about supply of syringes or needles in the UK for refilling purposes... I'll have to bump it up the chain
I'm hoping to get to the end of the chain and a definite answer or best case scenario
eBay are talking b**lox
:D

I'll keep you posted... :rolleyes::p

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
dougsewell said:
Try www.midmeds.co.uk/syringes-needles-c-25_49_174.html in uk. 1.04 for 10 (2" 18g) Mine come through the post- no questions asked and they are all in an individual sheath for safety. P&P is 2.50 so it may be worth ordering a supply for like minded friends or a supply for life.
Doug
LOL. This is the irony in it all... I phoned my supplier for all this stuff (slightly better pricing btw) and they were bemused by it all and said they'd never been told to get a license or limit their sales and they get ALL the info' from the medical authorities, etc...

Ah well.. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
At [expletive] last... a definitive answer that deals with the question properly

eBay Support said:
You cannot sell sharp needles at all.

You can list the syringes as long as the sharp needles are not included.

We allow blunt filter needles as long as it's clearly stated they are blunt. Yes, you can list blunt needles for use with a syringe as a refilling tool.
Only took four attempts to get a straight answer that actually related to the question...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I do take them from my own shop. I think it an advantage to be at the source. Strangely enough purchasing a gun in the USA is easier than buying some relatively harmless sharp needles.....