So why don't we just dial in sRGB

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
@Emulator That was something I couldn’t understand, when you said that the 3880 could do a better print than your 9000 could, I just put that down to something that you may have been doing wrong in your print setup before output.

I have the predecessor to the 9000 and it can blow any of my Pro pigment printers away on gloss, dye ink is still the king on photo glossy paper..

my experiences are the same as The Hat's

I no longer have the Pro900011. When the printhead failed couple of years ago I was able to get a Pro 100 for almost the same price as a new printhead for the 9000.

Attached are the profile of each printer on Red River Ultrapro gloss - on my glossy paper of choice. The profiles are standard Colomunki without enhancement.

My interpretation is that that for practical evaluation the could be considered almost identical. Unfotunately we cannot reproduce the full rotating effect of the 3D gamut image.

My view is that the two extra gray inks enhance the B&W prints of the Pro 100 past the Pro 9000-11
Of course there are some pro9000 fans who will take me to task for that rash statement. ;)

RS

Attachments

• gamutvision aERGB Pro100.JPG
    gamutvision aERGB Pro100.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 565
  • gamutvision aRGB pro900011.JPG
    gamutvision aRGB pro900011.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 606

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
@Emulator That was something I couldn’t understand, when you said that the 3880 could do a better print than your 9000 could, I just put that down to something that you may have been doing wrong in your print setup before output.

I have the predecessor to the 9000 and it can blow any of my Pro pigment printers away on gloss, dye ink is still the king on photo glossy paper..
I think @Emulator was referring to the measured colour gamut of the two printers rather than which gave the "better" print. From what I've seen, the gamut volume of the 3880 is bigger than the Pro-100 on glossy media. Whether or not the prints are better is moot, but I agree they are different. Probably best not pursued in this thread ..... wouldn't want to start an ink war.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Glad you are getting Gamutvision working for you Roy.

If you look at post #29, you will see the gamut of the 9000 II, with rendering switched off and showing its fundamental capability, exceeds AdobeRGB 1998 in many places and only falls a little short in the green area.

Brian, if you look at RogerB's posts #18 & #32 you can directly compare the 3880 gamuts (without rendering) with the 9000 II gamut in my posts #28 & #29.

It is a little easier to see on the simplified #29. The dotted line represents the colour space and the solid line the printer gamut. They are measured at 50%L "brightness", the point of highest colour saturation. The black outer lines show the limits of highest saturation performance.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
We are trying to display the technical comparisons rather than quality judgements.:)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I like how this thread is developing I am learning heaps and it is really answering the question posed in unexpected ways.

So @Emulator i will pass on going off into storage/backup strategy here can pursue it in a fresh thread if you like.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Glad you are getting Gamutvision working for you Roy.

If you look at post #29, you will see the gamut of the 9000 II, with rendering switched off and showing its fundamental capability, exceeds AdobeRGB 1998 in many places and only falls a little short in the green area.

Yes, I have looked at post 29 briefly and deduced it is an 2D xy chromacity plot, ignoring the L or lumnance values and thus of limited value.

I am quite OK with being proven wrong on this, so feel free to advance contra opinions with relevant facts. It is possible I need to do more reading on the variables displayed within Gamutvision.

Also think that as a general statement, the modern 6 plus colour RGB printer seems to have no trouble exceeding the adobeRGB colour space, with some variation in results based on differences within inksets and substrates. Hence I think the Pro9000, Pro-100 and Epson 3800 are displaying colour rendition properties consistent with expectations.

One thing about posts of this nature, is that it focuses the mind on the facts of the situation, rather than general beliefs or hearsay

Peace.

RS

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k. - sRGB - which sRGB ?

May I reference the sRGB definitions by the ICC consortium

http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter#v4pref

and the ICC org provides a wide collection of further papers to the use of profiles, color rendering and presentation etc in a range of white papers

http://www.color.org/whitepapers.xalter#v4srgb_appear

and when and if you are through with it you may glance over this article

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-profile-comparison.html

with 15 sRGB profiles compared......(.....???!!!)

and then back to the top question - sRGB - which one ? there are plenty of them

In light of the variety of the sRGB color space definitions it just may be easier and
more reliable to use AdobeRGB in your photo creation, development, editing and printing process
with less of the above ambiguities. So it might be better you take your camera and get some nice
pictures instead of scratching your head about all of the above sRGB stuff

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
o.k. - sRGB - which sRGB ?

May I reference the sRGB definitions by the ICC consortium

http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter#v4pref

and the ICC org provides a wide collection of further papers to the use of profiles, color rendering and presentation etc in a range of white papers

http://www.color.org/whitepapers.xalter#v4srgb_appear

and when and if you are through with it you may glance over this article

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-profile-comparison.html

with 15 sRGB profiles compared......(.....???!!!)

and then back to the top question - sRGB - which one ? there are plenty of them

In light of the variety of the sRGB color space definitions it just may be easier and
more reliable to use AdobeRGB in your photo creation, development, editing and printing process
with less of the above ambiguities. So it might be better you take your camera and get some nice
pictures instead of scratching your head about all of the above sRGB stuff

To whom was this rambling note directed, and just who is supposed to be scratching their head.?

If I may jump in, I think the sRGB reference was to the "sRGB color space". The term sRGB is used loosely in many other contexts.

"Curiosier and curioser" said Alice

RS