So why don't we just dial in sRGB

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
While I can see your logic, I wonder if a camera set to AdobeRGB and RAW, typical for a Canon, can be converted to ProPhoto and if it could, what the benefit might be?

Setting the camera to Adobe is the best option if you only want to use JPG but remember this is only an 8bit file. Setting it to RAW is the best option all round as this will give you either a 12 or 144bit file depending on the camera you are using.

A RAW file has no colour space assigned to it, the colour space is assigned when you pass it through the RAW converter. Always try to maintain consistency through the workflow, if you choose to use ProPhoto in the Raw Converter, then use ProPhoto in your editing software.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have not noticed ProPhoto when using the Canon RAW converter. I must be missing something.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
I have not noticed ProPhoto when using the Canon RAW converter. I must be missing something.

Not sure about the Canon Raw converter but in Adobe Camera Raw the option is at the bottom of the interface

Screen Shot 2015-07-25 at 15.19.47.jpg

If you work in Lightroom then ProPhoto is the only choice you have

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I see you are using Camera Raw 9.1 which appears to have only become available since 15 June 2015. I have just downloaded the Canon version and will explore for ProPhoto, it does not seem to be in Camera Raw 9.0.

Camera Raw 9.0.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Thanks for that link, I see this discussion has been going on for years, see this:- http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ZVVX

Yes, this topic is well oiled. For those that want to preserve all the data from the RAW file, to me using a smaller colour space that what is available doesn't make sense especially if as printer and ink technology increases. We are already seeing printers with good profiles capable of printing larger than Adobe RGB 1998

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@Emulator your near new Lightroom should be prompting you to get the latest version of Adobe Raw. Are you downloading your camera images straight into Lightroom?
If no it is the smart way to go and upon import ask LR to also make .dng.
The Canon product is only just average.
.dng preserves everything and is a lot less hungry than storing the canon file + sidecar + then having to go to Raw.....

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@Emulator your near new Lightroom should be prompting you to get the latest version of Adobe Raw. Are you downloading your camera images straight into Lightroom?
If no it is the smart way to go and upon import ask LR to also make .dng.
The Canon product is only just average.
.dng preserves everything and is a lot less hungry than storing the canon file + sidecar + then having to go to Raw.....

No, it has not prompted me to get the latest version of Adobe Raw. I was wondering about that as well. Having downloaded the 9.1 version the system has failed to take it up, needs further investigation.

As a matter of curiosity have you seen any mention of the ProPhoto option in your Canon/Adobe setup?