So why don't we just dial in sRGB

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I got @RogerB s' attachment ok. the thumb has a strong cast, but if I enlarge its ok.
Part of what I am getting at is also the fact that not all monitors are equal..... I too can transmit any image of almost any size as an attachment to an email.
My Firefox is modified to colour manage.........( perhaps correctly) BUT the browser WILL NOT see .dng, .tiff or any other than a select few.

Roger you may be able to modify these things to operate and others here may also have that ability. The majority of users cant, never have and never will be able to...........
My point stands! if only because 99.999% of monitors in use today will only display the very smallest space, and of those another whole lot will not have calibrated monitors, their printers cost $48 and are a 4 ink set and a throw away printer that uses the onboard colour management to print ...not ICC profiles.

My dear partner makes Images with her Sony P&S imports them onto her widows computer and sends them to a print book maker and gets back perfectly acceptable photo books......well ( :D ) provided you love OOF, colour shift and assorted other failings... but they ( people wot get these books made for them) drag these things around and everyone has them and they think they are real schmick!!......My partner looks on my efforts with much head shaking and sympathy that I make such hard work of something so damn simple......after all she says you can even take the card to the local Chemist and get pictures just like my pictures for just a few dollars... not the thousands YOU spend on cameras and lenses and monitors and all that software bolony you are always tweeking and hardly ever print......
There in a nutshell sad as....... is 99.999% of the population!
Have a re read of my post, I suspect we are talking at cross purposes.

Cheers

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Just for interest how does this image look to you? Hint - it's not sRGB.

Viewed in Firefox 40.0.2 under Windows 8.1 64 bit the thumbnail has a strong magenta cast, but right-clicking the thumbnail and opening in a new tab produces an image that looks perfectly normal to me. Internet explorer v 11.0.22 produces the same results as Firefox.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I see it on screen like this when using Explorer 11

Capture2.png

and when opened with a click it’s like this.

Capture.3.PNG

It's exactly the same when viewed in Photoshop also..

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Colour managed workflow and ICC standards are only significant if you are part of a group that exchanges colour images.

1: If your sole use of coloured images is for YOUR OWN USE. You are the only person who cares what the image looks like on your monitor, printer etc. Then all you have to do is adjust the screen to sonething that looks good to your eyes. 5 minutes and mission accomplished.

2: NOW! if you share images, post to sites that exchange images, or depend on colour accuracy for your income, credibility or peace of mind, then colour management and a properly managed workflow is essentials. Standards and best practices matter.

RS