Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OK, slocumeddie: 3 cheers for Ross Hardie!!! He is very generous with his time to those who call and ask questions. I started dealing him >6 yrs when refilling my Canon 9xxx printers. Last year, the availability of a reliable refill system for the 3880 became available , the equiv system for the 3800 was already accepted. I contacted Ross several times, he took me thru the ups&downs and I gained confidence in the system. With Jon Cone, Inkrepublic and Ross Hardie distributing this system I felt I was in good company. Pharmacists extensive posts about his 3800 and the various systems available threw the switch--I ordered the 3880 and the refillable system last Sept.
Let us also give pharmacist 3++ cheers for his outstanding and continuous efforts. I know he chides me for my over exuberance for OCP inks, now I'm quite distracted with inks available for the 3880. And yes, I will be probably be exuberant with my new find.

don't forget to 'frig' the ink and 'micro' the wine!!! irv weiner

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
stratman said:
fotofreek said:
I've pretty well refined the work flow, so there is no need for me to change now.
Your technique is elegant in its simplicity and utility for you. The beauty of refilling is it lends itself to variation which can be an expression of your own creativity and physical and fiscal limitations.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Thanks for the compliment. I've always been a devotee of the KISS principle. My ride for 15 years was a 1960 Porsche roadster I bought new while overseas in the USAF - a very simple vehicle but loads of fun to drive. Elegant in its design and simplicity, as you would say. Flash forward to the contemporary Porsche - Elegant in its design and complexity (and expense to buy and maintain) and also a fun ride, but of a different type. All good, depending on one's style. Wish I had my "60 roadster back!!!!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
fotofreek said:
My ride for 15 years was a 1960 Porsche roadster... Wish I had my "60 roadster back!!!!
356? Nice.

I had a 1986 944 Turbo. Picture still on the wall next to me. Fun indeed.

Great topic hijack!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
irvweiner 3 cheers for Ross Hardie!!! He is very generous with his time to those who call and ask questions
Ok but I wouldnt go that far, he may be generous with his time but he struck me as a guy
who thinks he has the answer to everything, and everyone else is just plain dumb.

As I said earlier seen his video didnt like it and wouldnt use his style of refilling
nor would I pass it on to someone else to use.

Lets just say, Hes just an ordinary guy trying to SELL his ideas and products to anyone that will
buy in to them thats all, Hes no Saint but hed give me an argument on that Im sure..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lestrad said:
emerald said:
ruffin: Post #187

about the thickness of a U. S. penny.
In your picture, that's a quarter unless I'm mistaken. Inflation?;)
You do mean in emeralds post #191 and not #187, I presume.. :rolleyes:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OK here it comes, and I know it's not going to agree with all.

Since I always just remove the factory ball, I reseal it with.... wait for it....
A replacement factory ball of course.

I buy them from rjettek by the 100s. You simply push them back into the original hole with a little special push tool ( though not required ).
Perfect No Leak seals every single time.
No mess.
The negative side to this is you have to remove yet another ball when you need to refill. But with three sets of ink carts always waiting for the PRO 9000MKII that is not a real problem. I do the refilling and ball replacement when I have the time.
http://www.rjettek.com/s.nl/sc.7/category./.f?search=1914

Yes, they add a few cents cost per refill but I like the 100% reliability and confidence of not dealing with air leaks into the liquid chamber and ink leaks out the exit ports from possibly leaky sealing options.

Joe

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Move over The Hat. Joe's the new professional ball buster in town.
free-fighting-smileys-393.gif

Seriously, Joe, how does the new ball seal the hole? Isn't the OEM ball sealed in place somehow?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The factory ball actually leaks. It is sealed by the second layer....the label.
How do I know? I've removed thousands of OEM balls and a good proportion have ink on the upper side of the ball and on the label. That's proof enough.

A good plug used properly is absolutely better simply from an engineering standpoint. You need to revisit how a proper plug fits into the Canon tunnel and the method of constriction... Also what shape the tunnel is as well.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Those balls are geared for pro refillers who will resell their reman carts. They normally will put a label on over the original label... Naturally someone who is remanufacturing these carts would NOT want to put plug on for the consumer..they don't want folks refilling themselves. So they resort to a ball or a zero clearance plug, both are backed by an airtight seal...which covers the ball. Just like Canon does.
So the balls are not really the best thing for the refiller as you now understand the situation.
I don't remember the thread, but I carefully explained how my clear and tabbed style Canon plugs seal. it is based on constriction at the waist. It is not based on sealing at the top of the hole. Sealing at the top of the hole is not proper engineering. There is a taper on the tunnel that invites a friction fit plug to back out. My plug does not plug at that level. It protrudes beyond the tunnel internally and the small contriction at the tip of the tunnel cinches on constricts the plug. The portion of the plug that extends beyond the tunnel is solid and this prevents collapse of the body and adds to constriction force to form the seal.
There are plugs and there are plugs.
Not everything factory is always best, and the ball is an example. The factory have their objectives and the ball in their situation fits the bill. For a home refiller, the aims and objectives are different. Perfect seal and easy re-use rises.
The other thing to consider is that the ball is a snap in push fit. The factory ball has little compliance and over time, each time the ball is pushed in and removed, you get a bit of hysteresis of the plastic and the hole starts opening up a bit by bit......perfect seal at that time? I 'm not sure.

Last edited: