Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Happy Birthday Supreme Commander HAT!
No printing for you today! Eat, Drink and lay around!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry Joe I couldnt go without my daily fix of messing around with my babies.:weee
Thany you all for the nice Birthday greeting but can I ask is the cheque in the post ... :hide

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Hang on I'm getting really confused. Is this post active now when it was started in 2004?
If this post is active then I must say Appy Burfday to ole Hat.
After reading Joe's post where he couldn't use the great silicone plugs from Mike makes me feel really good because I did read the instructions & got a perfect seal from day one.
Just don't mention the pro9000 head I stuffed up.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
No worries, they will work perfectly if I just stop being stubborn and try to plug them hole without drill the through with the recommended 5/32" drill bit.
I did that on all my CLI-8 and of course they work perfectly fine. So the same applies to the CLI-42s.
I will get to that tonight.

Joe

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The use of silicone plugs is SO simple, and thy are SO compliant, I have to wonder why "top fillers" would be using anything else? You can drill a new hole by hand with a cheap drill bit, wrapped with some tape at the shank to make it softer to hold...

So simple, so easy...no leaks for me, EVER!

OH, and happy b'day, HAT!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Although I don't have any Canon printer anymore, I think using the German Durchstich refill method I introduced a few years ago (well the first on an english website, as defcon2k introduced the method much earlier at the german website www.druckerchannel.de), will do a fantastic job in refilling these CLI-42 cartridges, as they are exactly the same as the BCI-6 and CLI-8 cartridges. No worries about how good the refill hole need to be sealed to prevent leakage, as being discussed in this thread. Also the necessary equilibrium is automatically achieved using the Durchstich method. Using the top fill method, does require a special step to get it done well to prevent oversaturating the sponge of the cartridge. It is neat and clean.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The German Durchstich method , should be known as :bow the pharmacist refill way from now on, it certainly is a much better way to refill the carts, in fact it’s so good it’s almost fool proof. :fl

But I still use the top fill method because I prefer to make a mess of refilling from time to time just to let myself know that I may need to do a refresher course. :smack

Speaking of saturating the sponge, I can’t stop that happening to all my cartridges, but thankfully it doesn’t seem to affect the ink flow .. :hu

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Speaking of saturating the sponge, I can’t stop that happening to all my cartridges, but thankfully it doesn’t seem to affect the ink flow .. :hu
Before anyone had mentioned a problem with saturating the upper sponge (bci-6 and later versions) I found no problem with ink flow with both sponges saturated. I now watch to avoid filling to the point where the space above the upper sponge has ink in it, but saturating the upper sponge hasn't been a problem. Basically, filling the reservoir to just below the upper level of the top sponge works just fine for me.

For those still top filling Canon carts this thread is still relevant even though it is now ten years old. Historically, this was one of the major breakthroughs in successful Canon cart refilling. There were a few other really important bits of advice that surfaced early on: 1) refill only OEM carts, 2) refill with proven good quality inks, 3) refill instead of using non-OEM, prefilled carts, and 4) purge used OEM carts as necessary to keep ink flowing properly.