Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Illustration to better understand.
2013-11-17 23-38-34_0326.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The solid tip protruding past the end of the tunnel prevents the plug from backing out as well providing a positive seal. Plugs trying to fit the original taper, eventually fail because they rely on friction but there is vector force continually pushing the plug upwards and out and there is nothing to stop that. There is no postitive retention as like a swollen tip as shown. ( Keep it clean boys.)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What keeps the factory ball in place?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hey, no ball busting here!!! LOL

So it looks like I will be better off plugging the original hole? I can see how what you explained could affect the actual hole itself.

I find that the with the plugs you sent me with the PRO-100 inks, I can not push them all the way in. It stops at the bottom of the factory hole and I can not get it to go in any further.

You made some reference to the tip of the plug protruding past the narrower opening of the factory hole and creating the true seal, and after looking at your explanation, I have to agree that would be much better option except for the fact that the plug doesn't seem to want to do what your illustration shows. Do I need to really force it?

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
2013-11-18 08-08-18_0327.jpg
Joe,

ahem

did you read the instructions????????

Joe...that name sounds like male in gender and what do males typically not do?

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The factory ball is held in by a circular dimple ring inside the tunnel. It relies on expanding the circular tunnel to keep the ball tight. The issue here is that both materials are not that compliant. If either the ball or tunnel dimple has a flaw when it is made, it could leak. Now it is more likely that the little ball is the culprit in not getting the perfect seal because you have to mold the little balls and you will always get some variance. You can note the variance when you remove the ball. Some are tighter than others and will not spin as easily when being removed and some spin easier and are easier to pull out. Neither condition of spin will guarantee a perfect fit because ink past the ball is observed on both when the label above the ball is removed.

If you decide to still use your balls, then you really should back it up with aluminum tape...unless you got balls.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Boy you learn something new on here every day. :love
Notice how I am keeping my nose out of it. :gig
Enter Stratman... :hu

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
LOL!
Too much talk about "Balls"
Actually I did all my old CLI-8s as you instructed. Removed the ball and drilled through with a 5/32" drill on my drill press.

Though I did read the instructions, I though maybe I could omit the drilling part. Apparently the plug still needs the hole drilled out to fully enter.
But you are right about men and instructions. I've been told that's why Moses walked around in circles in the desert for 40 years. The women say it's because he, being a man, refused to ask for directions.

I've only done two of the CLI-42 carts so far so no biggie.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I thought Moses's GPS broke down or didn't read the instructions on how to use the GPS and that's why he got lost. Don't forget he brought down the tablets from the mountain but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Why? you guessed it...instructions related too. Couldn't figure out the swipe action.

You learn something new every day.