Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
panos and The Hat:

This video dates from Sept 2010 and I thought by now there would be comments about it on this forum. If there were, I missed them. Here's mine: I like the idea of the twist-lock cap over the BCI-6 cart nozzle. Tearing off the label seal above the vent and using the center hole as a refill point. . .having to remove hot glue before punching holes into the sponge from either side of the center hole. . .refilling while still in the printer. . .the plugs with ears. . . . .no, I don't think so.

Sell me the empty cartridge. Sell me the ink. I'll figure something out. Makes me more appreciative of the German method using Canon OEM cartridges.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
emerald said:
I like the idea of the twist-lock cap over the BCI-6 cart nozzle.
Agree ... made me curious to see if those outlet caps would work on a CLI-8 cart. No way, after looking at one. In my limited refilling experience, the untidiness from traditional top filling could be improved with an outlet cap like that. I wish Canon would use a refined version of that cap (plus revisions to the outlet port itself, obviously).

My speculation is that there would need to be a matching piece of plastic ridge to mate with those twist-lock caps. Was the vendor starting with oem BCI-6 carts, or some aftermarket cart he was further modifying? I've never seen a BCI-6 cart in person, but my impression is the outlet port is the same as a CLI-8. Maybe not? Seemed like he was tweaking compatible carts ... huh?

TMI ...
The original orange outlet cap needs a rubber band to be reusable, and the R-Jet Tek #1813 outlet caps that I use are inexpensive, but not quite there and could use better sealing, imo. Probably increase the cost, however. A couple of drops of ink invariably pool there within the #1813 cap when I'm refilling with the inlet port open. For my next refilling batch, I'm going to try an adaptation of ghwellsjr use of vinyl electrical tape for temporarily sealing the outlet port while the inlet port is open.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
His hands have a lot of ink stains and a sniper keeps painting the cartridge with his laser sight. :/
+1 ... rotfl ...

I gave upn on the video after the second or third time he removed the cart out of sight to do who knows what ... my speculation was the audio might have been muted to prevent some foul language.

I cringed when he kept grabbing the x-acto knife and flailing away with it, At that point, I wondered if some of the ink stains on his hands were really blood.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
what are they using for the "sponge" is it 2 pieces or a single foam, after trying several after market cartridges, if they don't use a 2 piece fiber material they are not even worth looking at, but that's only my 3 cents (inflation)

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: Hey!.......Give Ross Hardie a break ! .....printfan1138.....chime in here!

printfan1138.....where are you?.....did you get banned?.....NUTS :(.....:(

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
slocumeddie said:
:mad: :mad: Hey!.......Give Ross Hardie a break ! .....printfan1138.....chime in here!
Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for my cheesy comments. Made some edits. I'm actually a huge fan of inventors and entrepreneurs.

Theodore Roosevelt quote:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan: You edited out a term my mother used when I was a kid. Campy! hah! Perfectly apt.

On another subject, ghwellsjr's suggestion to use vinyl tape for a temporary seal on the nozzle. . .It works, but I suspect you fill many carts and are looking for something better. I've used three types of storage/filling clips - some orange clips found on G&G carts (poor),these clips (better) and those sold by Precision Colors (best). PC's are the same type shown in the "campy" video. $1.00 each.

mrelmo: Yeah, the carts have a one-piece sponge and the output filter pokes up into the sponge. They look very similar to the cleaning carts offered by Hobbiecolors - same twist-on nozzle cover, one piece sponge, etc.

slocumeddie and stratman: You've given an old man his laugh for the day!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Excuse me for injecting a very imprecise and inelegant technique into the discussion. I started refilling using Neil Slade's on-the-fly technique. I now refill several carts at a time with the same technique. I use latex gloves. I grip the cart with my index finger blocking the exit port, use an electric screwdriver to remove the screw/o-ring seal and open the top fill hole, refill using squeeze bottles, replace the screw/o-ring and tignten with the electric screw driver, reserving the last turn or so for a phillips screw driver to avoid overtightening, let the cart drip if it will, blot the exit port with paper on a flat surface, and replace the original orange cap and hold it on with a rubber band. Then wipe the glove with a paper towel and do the next cart. YOu just have to be sure that your finger covers the exit port completely or you will have ink dripping. I do this over our kitchen sink with some newspaper in the sink under where I'm refilling. easy quick clean up, very little preparation in advance, no extra parts, and using a few tools I have for other projects.

while I can see using storage clips for refilling and silicone plugs to seal the refill hole, this is the way I started refilling and I've pretty well refined the work flow, so there is no need for me to change now.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
fotofreek said:
I've pretty well refined the work flow, so there is no need for me to change now.
Your technique is elegant in its simplicity and utility for you. The beauty of refilling is it lends itself to variation which can be an expression of your own creativity and physical and fiscal limitations.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!