Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ruffin: Post #187

The thickness of the protruding flange on the Precision Colors silicone rubber plug is about the thickness of a U. S. penny. Both of your printers, Canon MP600 and iP4300, are capable of printing on CDs which requires the print head to raise a little while printing. I have a model iP4200 which is very similar to your models. It has Precision Colors plugs in the cartridge refill holes and prints CDs well with no clearance problems.

ruffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
Thanks Emerald. Nice Photos. I believe your 4200 has a little more clearance than my IP4300 or MP600. Will keep my fingers crossed. How did you stop the print head carriage from moving to take a photo? Thanks for your efforts. Regards

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
emerald said:
The thickness of the protruding flange on the Precision Colors silicone rubber plug is about the thickness of a U. S. penny.
I will give you a dollar for every 100 of your "pennies" in the second picture. :D

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman:

That's today's Roosevelt penny, worth about the same as a Lincoln penny of my youth. :D

ruffin:

Re: "How did you stop the print head carriage from moving to take a photo?"

I didn't. After opening the lid, I pulled the power cord and slid the print head carriage under the extruded
plastic section of the printer top by hand and snapped a picture with a web cam.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ruffin:
I've just measured my ip4300 and I estimate the clearance = 3.5mm. So the maximum allowable protrusion above the cartridge would be about 3mm.

This is plenty for a panhead plug - provided the plug is pushed down as far as it will go into the cartridge. This was a useful check for me because one of my plugs hadn't been pushed all the way - there was hardly any visible clearance for this cartridge, but it wasn't catching so it must have been just enough.

Ian

ruffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
Emerald: Thats terriffic. You helped me out greatly! I will follow your lead and pull the plug on mine as well and lay a penny on top to verify clearance. Thank you so much for helping me. Really didnt know how I was going to accomplish that task. I assume that pulling the plug wont upset the memory program that allows direct print to cd and English language, etc. You guys really know your stuff. I do appreciate your efforts and thank you again. Best Regards to you and the other guys and may you all have a very nice Christmas. Thanks for all your comments. Just a great group on Nifty.

ruffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
Ian: Appreciate your measurement on the IP4300. I will be sure to press the silicone plug full home to ensure clearance. Thank you for the assist. Best Regards

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Grandad35 back in 2009 said:
There is a small cylinder of filter material in the exit hole that must float up and down as it mates against the ink pickup in the print head. The filter in turn must press firmly against the sponge to pick up ink from the sponge. Every time that you pull a cart, even if it is only to check the ink level, you run the risk that this filter/sponge combination will not drop back down into firm contact with each other or with the print head pickup the next time that the cart is re-installed.
Does this apply to CLI-8 carts? My perception had been that CLI-8 and BCI-6 carts were very, very similar ... almost identical ... except that the CLI-8 cart is chipped.

With my CLI-8's used in a 9000-2, the lower filter doesn't seem like it floats within the outlet port. It is more oval shaped than circular, and seems like a "press fit".

The following was for another topic, but may help, although the angle from which the picture was taken makes the filter look round ....

When I look really closely at the outlet port of a thoroughly purged oem CLI-8 test cart, there appears to be two plastic-like ridges that hold the outlet port filter in place.

Or am I miss-reading, and it is the ink pickup in the print-head that floats? Or the CLI-8 based printers work differently?

I haven't yet had to touch my print-head, and actually don't know how to get it out of the printer. Not complaining, and "knock wood".

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
He's talking about the potential gap between the bottom of the sponge and the top of the round filter in the outlet port and the gap between the filter material and the screen on the top of the print head. He recommends slamming the cartridge down on a solid surface to bring everything down.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr,

Thanks. I suppose this "floating" could happen with purging through the outlet port at medium to high pressure. Seems like all three sponge/foam/filter parts would have to be really dry for that to happen. In your experience, does this also happen with CLI-8's?

The only purging I've done has been twice to one cart (just to try it out), and that was through the top. I just let it dry for several days in a cool basement, so it was probably still a bit damp.