refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

fortisi876

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jimbo123 said:
good ideas all around. needed to refill my PGI5 this AM after 1 week, decided to put tape on all carts, figured it couldn't hurt.

the squeeze bottles from howard's have a plastic cap with a luer lock which is needed for the needle to screw into. FYI, one of the luer locks did not hold the needle upright so i just used another cap. i use the 4oz squeeze bottles(10 for $10, before shipping), looks like they have 8oz bottle now.

http://www.howardelectronics.com/kahnetics/squeezebottles.html
Thank you for starting this thread and posting the link up, I was having a tough time finding the site. I just ordered a set $15 shipped. I like this idea so much that I may not even bother upgrading to a CIS system since it cuts back on the refilling steps Ive been used to and the cleaning too!

TY!

FWIW- I screwed up my order by assuming the needles were included in my $10 order, they're not so be sure to include the appropriate sized needles with your order. Anyone know if they sell them individually, altho it's not that expensive, I dont need 50 needles either. Anyone wanna split a bundle? :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
It's still a bit early days as I'm sorting out the documentation for this but I've sourced the luer tops and a supply of suitable bottles so I'm going to be making these kits available with a variety of needle options in short order.

Initially it's 100ml and 250ml capacities but I'm also looking at larger bottle sizes once I've cleared a little stock to recover some of the bulk expenses I've incurred (the baby isn't helping in that regard :/)

5x100_01__98487.jpg

That's just an idea of one of the configurations but as you can see I managed to get a hold of the coloured tops instead of just black everything so that should make things a bit easier...

The alternative that's in the pipeline will have a similar colour coding system too but as I said, we're going to have to wait on that one...

Even got a nifty name for them (which will be a surprise :D)... Anyhoo... when I'm ready, and if Rob is ok with it, I'll release a limited discount code on here soon.

Oh and small note, it was pointed out that these sorts of bottles are not good for refilling Epson originals for example, because you need to know exactly how much volume of ink has gone in and be able to draw a specific amount back out to avoid air locks. Worth considering if you have a situation like that.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
fortisi876 said:
FWIW- I screwed up my order by assuming the needles were included in my $10 order, they're not so be sure to include the appropriate sized needles with your order. Anyone know if they sell them individually, altho it's not that expensive, I dont need 50 needles either. Anyone wanna split a bundle? :)
I've got a load in which just went on the site as of this evening so if you want to check the OctoInkjet site and see if there's any you need/want that may help.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Right... last post on this subject and I'm really aware the stuff above has taken a few steps into spam territory so apologies (I'll do some editing shortly).

This article provides a graphic demonstration of how a squeeze bottle approach to refilling can make the whole refilling task much simpler.

I've used the brandname "SquEasyFill" so I can call it something (yes, marks out of 10 for cornyness :)) but they are essentially Squeeze bottles with the luer lids, needles and needle covers on.

Have to say that during the process of taking the photos and trying it all out, I've made the decision to switch my remaining CIS kitted Canons from CIS's to refilled carts. It really does make life so much simpler to the extent that I got more ink on me trying to take the ruddy syringe shots (even with gloves on!) than with the squeeze bottles with no gloves... Skilled or what! :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
websnail said:
I've used the brandname "SquEasyFill" so I can call it something
You definately have baby on the brain! :D

Excellent choice of name, proud papa.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman said:
websnail said:
I've used the brandname "SquEasyFill" so I can call it something
You definately have baby on the brain! :D

Excellent choice of name, proud papa.
LOL... You'll know I'm a bit whappy when I make references to breast feeding cartridges being better for the printer or some such... :rolleyes::p

fortisi876

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Am I the only one having serious problems with leakage while trying to refill with the squeeze bottles?

I tried the German and then conventional method, both were very messy and wasteful to say the least. For starters, you need to be real careful when you tip the bottle upside down cuz the flow starts immediately unlike using a syringe. Then as you squeeze the ink in it begins to pour out of the other end, probably due to the air pressure from squeezing the ink in. SO far Im very unimpressed, if someone can point out what Im doing wrong or a better method Im all ears.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I agree with you about the German method. I think squeeze bottles would have less problems with conventional refilling (via a hole in the top of the reservoir) where you can easily raise the end of the needle above the ink level to suck in air but I can't imagine trying to do this with the German method. If you buy Inktec ink in the small syringes (see post #16) you won't have to clean any syringes or transfer any ink from one container to another. It's by far the most convenient, clean, easy, quick, but not the cheapest, way to go. Since I like Inktec dye inks, and these syringes seem to be the only way to buy Inktec ink in the USA, I'm willing to pay a little more for all the advantages of the German method of refilling via the Inktec syringes.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
In fairness, a careful and steady hand is required with the squeeze bottles but I can't imagine why you've had problems with the conventional method fortisi876...

I have to admit I haven't tried the German method yet with the squeeze bottles but it seems that any kind of heavy handed squeezing is going to cause problems.. Perhaps the bottles I've sourced have less give and I'm particularly dexterous given my sign language and typing skills, but I wouldn't anticipate too many problems myself. (Note to self to give the German method a shot soon)

The bit about the ink flow starting once you tip the bottle over is true enough... It will start dripping almost immediately so a little careful manoeuvring is required although having thought about it I'd probably opt for a little bit of wadded-up kitchen roll to catch the couple of drips before I got it into the hole for filling CIS kits... As far as refilling carts go, if they're empty you just tip the cart back to insert, but if you're topping up, the CIS approach with kitchen towel would apply.

As with all things I guess nothing is perfect...

I guess, if you want the best of both worlds then having one syringe per ink with a needle scabbard/cover would do the trick but you are still going to have fun with pigment inks scouring the inside of the syringe and making it difficult to apply the right pressure.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
websnail said:
As with all things I guess nothing is perfect...
Using Inktec ink supplied in syringes with Computer Friends blunt two inch needles and refilling via the German method is PERFECT (except for the price, which should be free to be perfect). But when you're saving 90% compared to the price of OEM cartridges, why worry about another 5%?.

People who have not already invested in other bulk ink ought to try what I am suggesting and even if you already have lots of bulk ink (like I do), just use the Computer Friends syringes.