refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Got the squeeze bottles. It was everything I knew it could be and more. Talk about streamlining the refill process!

Oh and a +++ for Howard Electronics, I ended up ordering something else from them and ordered the wrong thing and they gladly rma'ed it, even though it was my fault in ordering.

Thanks for posting about these squeeze bottles, they make a HECK of a difference!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ghwellsjr said:
jimbo123 said:
would be nice if one of quality the ink suppliers mentioned in this forum would sell their ink in plastic squeeze bottles with regular and luer caps. would probably increase their sales too. maybe someone is listening.....
But wouldn't it be even nicer if a quality ink supplier sold their ink in a syringe that all you had to do was attach a needle? This would have the advantage that your ink will always be fresh and not have the possibility of drying out from air in the top of the bottle.
I had a think about this and realised that squeeze bottles really are a much more versatile method or refilling, especially the howard electronics versions... I've found a supplier and am trying a few options that may be more (and possibly less) cost effective but as I'm abandoning CIS's for Canons I think I can see the benefit.

The key thing with the squeeze bottles is that you don't have to worry about the ink causing problems with the syringe plunger locking up or similar issues. This is especially true with pigment inks and usually the reason I ditch syringes after a month of use.

Anyhoo... whether I opt to resell something like this or just buy for my own use, we shall see :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
one post on this thread indicated that the needle didn't sit upright on the Howards luerlock cap. I've been using these squeeze bottles for about three years now and like them a lot. There is, however, a potential problem - if you overtighten the needle hub in the cap you can damage the threads as the caps are rather soft plastic. I habitually test the stability of the needle hub in the cap before turning it upside down to fill carts. What a mess it would be if it came loose while squeezing the bottle upside down! I've never had a problem with them, but a five second check doesn't waste considerable time. After using them I hold them upright, cover the needle tip with a paper towel and squeeze them several times to pump air in and out of the container to clear the needle of ink. No need to remove the needle for cleaning.

Pretty hard to beat the Howard's price at about $10 US for ten. Quite cheap also with needles included and you can contact them to have them exchange the 1/2 inch needles for longer ones when you order.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jimbo123 said:
the squeeze bottles from howard's have a plastic cap with a luer lock which is needed for the needle to screw into.
fotofreek said:
if you overtighten the needle hub in the cap you can damage the threads as the caps are rather soft plastic.
The syringes and needles that I got from Computer Friends many years ago do not screw together, they are just a press fit. The syringes that Inktec ink is supplied in also are a press fit. Is this unusual or normal?

EDIT: I recently discovered that the needles I got from Computer Friends do have the lock which fits the syringes the Inktec ink comes in, they just don't lock with the syringes they come with.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
agreed, i also always gently snug the needle base with the plastic luer cap/bottle before i refill. i also refill over a plastic tub/bucket. see my two pics in post #1 to see the pink hospital bucket that i refill over.

been using the same squeeze bottles and needles for 10 months now, so much easier and faster

it's almost time for me to refill my 4oz PGI5 squeeze bottle. pretty easy there too, just unscrew and pour from ink bottle into squeeze bottle, also done over pink bucket....

websmail, keep us posted on your "squeeze bottle" plans

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500, MP830(new spare in box)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
GH - If I recall correctly, all medical needles are screw-type luerlock hubs. much more secure when pressure is applied and meets the resistance of the small needle lumen. Except for a few needles that came with my first refill kit, all of mine are from dentist friends. After my first scratch I used a sharpening stone to eliminate the extremely sharp tips!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jimbo123 said:
websmail, keep us posted on your "squeeze bottle" plans
Will do... Like my new nickname too ;)

Will probably be a few weeks (extended because baby is due soon!) before I have anything concrete-ish...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well I have a few of the soft plastic luer lids that arrived today and my first thought is really that the material quality on these isn't quite what I'd hoped considering the cost.. I could see end-users either screwing them in too loose or too tight... but that's me in full cynic mode and assuming the end-user is like one of my client school teachers *shudder*

Once the needles are in, there really is no reason to remove them so all in all not too shoddy but I do have another sample pending for a version #2 which I'll put together myself...

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
websnail - first excuse the nickname botch. i was going to put a dab of "crazy glue" on the needle to tightly secure it to the luer lid. any reason not to ??

each refill, i just check that they are snug, so far no problems, so for now will pass on the glue approach

i leave the needles on the refill squeeze bottles in between refills. i put a scabbard on the needle tip to keep out air.

keep us posted

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500, MP830(new spare in box)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jimbo123 said:
websnail - first excuse the nickname botch.
No worries... Just a new variation for me to file away... ;)

I was going to put a dab of "crazy glue" on the needle to tightly secure it to the luer lid. any reason not to ??
Depends what "crazy glue" consists of... You gotta remember we don't have the same sort of thing here or at least the same label so I'm not sure what you'd mean... Personally I'd dab a little hot glue on the luer needle rim and push it all home properly but there's always the risk of creating rather than resolving a leak that way so probably best to just leave it locked in place tbh.

each refill, i just check that they are snug, so far no problems, so for now will pass on the glue approach
As above.. probably wise ;)

i leave the needles on the refill squeeze bottles in between refills. i put a scabbard on the needle tip to keep out air.
I've emailed you about the scabbards directly but someone pointed out another relevant fact that I totally forgot to take into account.

Squeeze bottles are great for cartridges where the cartridges are transparent but when you're faced with an opaque cartridge like Epsons, you need to have a much greater control of the ink volume you inject so a squeeze bottle would not be suitable, especially as you could introduce that air-lock issue noted earlier in this thread.

It's a small issue in the grand scheme of things though, especially as refilling an Epson cartridge that isn't a refillable by design is more than slightly difficult... Anyway, I've decided to give it a go.