refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ghwellsjr said:
websnail said:
As with all things I guess nothing is perfect...
Using Inktec ink supplied in syringes with Computer Friends blunt two inch needles and refilling via the German method is PERFECT (except for the price, which should be free to be perfect). But when you're saving 90% compared to the price of OEM cartridges, why worry about another 5%?.

People who have not already invested in other bulk ink ought to try what I am suggesting and even if you already have lots of bulk ink (like I do), just use the Computer Friends syringes.
Can I just offer a friendly reminder that:

a) not everyone has a canon printer
b) not everyone uses that much ink
c) not everyone refills cartridges (it could be a CIS for example)
d) perfection is very much in the eye of the beholder (and in my mirror that's me... :))

Take your point that it's a good system, but for those who perhaps don't like to toss out yet more plastic it's perhaps not as ideal..

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
About the sqeeze bottles dripping when turned over - depends on the size of the needle lumen (inside diameter). I don't use the needles that I received with a kit as they have a large lumen. On my squeeze bottles I have smaller guage needles I obtained from a dentist friend. They don't drip, and they are easily controlled as you have to squeeze to get ink out of them. The downside is that you must check to see that the hub is secure in the luer lock top before turning over and squeezing as it would be a terribly mess if the needle popped out of the cap!

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use the German method with squeeze bottles, just insert the needle BEFORE tipping everything upside down/sideways.
Works fun and I don't have unwanted ink coming out of the needles. The squeeze bottles i have are firm enough that you do have to apply a bit of pressure to get things going.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
looks like this thread has some life still, good exchange.

been using the german method for almost 2 years now, graduated to squeeze bottles w/18g needles about 10 months ago, see pics at post #1. to fill, i flip the cartridge upside down, insert needle, tilt slightly downward with ink bottle higher than cartridge and squeeze/fill slowly. no drips if tilted slightly, does drip if aimed straight down.

for the most part have seen ink leakage if i overfill or fill too quickly. i usually fill when ink in compartment is nearly empty, so to not fry the print head. also saves time to not wait for the sponge to soak up ink since it already has ink there.

not concerned with a 10 second refill, 30-60 seconds with no clean up is fast enough for me.

websnail, congrats on the "SquEasyFill" ink bottle offering, also congrats on the latest family addition

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500, MP830(new spare in box)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
jimbo123, I just love your pics! It's amazing how much pics like that really convey so much (and also get me really excited... ya I'm sick like that).

Also a very excellent discussion all the way around!

Those 4 oz bottles look like the standard ones I've been using all along, so hopefully I could just pick up some of the needle tops and I'll be good to go.

I've not yet ventured into the German Refill Method (we may need to start calling it the "GRM" :) ) but with all the discussions on it I think I'll be giving it a try... if anything just for the experience. Since I personally tend to be overly cautious I'd probably seal the refill hole with the "aluminum tape" (my new favorite) just to cover my bases.

I too was concerned about the ink leaking out when tipping the bottle. Of course, as suggested the cart could be tipped to meet the needle. I'm also wondering if a tiny pre-squeeze on the bottle would create enough negative pressure to keep the ink inside? I guess a lot depends on the bottle. I like the idea of using a thinner diameter needle too.

BTW Martin, I'll have my people talk to your people! ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
nifty-stuff.com said:
jimbo123, I just love your pics! It's amazing how much pics like that really convey so much (and also get me really excited... ya I'm sick like that).
The less said about your dirty ink pics the better Rob ;)

Also a very excellent discussion all the way around!
Yeah... It's made me wish I could get my video transfer stuff sorted so I could do some basic help vid's... Many of the points raised are valid as hell and would be well worth covering as troubleshooting as well as having the side benefit of being promotional...

Those 4 oz bottles look like the standard ones I've been using all along, so hopefully I could just pick up some of the needle tops and I'll be good to go.
My people are on it :p

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
glad you like the pics, also glad to help others out

FYI, see this thread on how squeeze bottles helped me to easily resolve a leaky CLI8 that i was going to toss out

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4589

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500, MP830(2 spares in box)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a quick "Martin is a complete dope" update...

I spotted today that the 1,000+ 20gauge needles I purchased to go with my SquEasyFill kits are actually about 3/8" too short for the German Method for Canon cartridges (ie: 1.5" long)

I've got a rush order in with the supplier for 2" : 20gauge needles as well as some 22gauge needles and scabbards/covers too.

Needless to say my head is held low and I blame the baby induced sleeplessness for the mistake (ignoring the fact that the order went in before the baby was born *ahem*) ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Riiight... after my earlier boo-boo I've managed to get the correct length needles in and had my wife smack me about the head a few times so I learn from this.

There's now a stock of:

20g and 22g needles of 2" (5cm) length along with the scabbards/covers for both.
(g = gauge)

The reason I also opted to get the 22g's is that they are that bit thinner (smaller cross section) and may prove useful as a "near sharp" blunt needle.

:)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been using needles from Computer Friends which twist lock onto the Inktec ink supplied-in-a-syringe from Inkjet Cartridge but since I didn't want to pay $2.50 for the syringe and needle just to get the needle, I order some from Howard Electronics as discussed earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, these needles will not lock onto the Inktec syringes. So now I'm wondering if there is more than one standard on these luer lock mechanisms. The problem is that the Howard needles are so tight, they won't go in far enough to lock and I can't tell if they could lock even if they would go in far enough.

Also, I ordered 20 guage needles because that's what websnail ordered in the previous post but those needles are smaller than the needles from Computer Friends. In fact, the Howard needles will slide right into the Computer Friends needles. Are the luer locks different on different size needles?