Refilling Canon with OEM ink

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
@mikling thanks for your input. I think most people have made it clear that this is a experiment and you do it at your own risk but if you have any information you think would help it would be great if you could share it so we can get a better understanding of the things that can go wrong.
I may be wrong but I thought this forum was to help each other by sharing the information we had or let people know the results of things we have tried ???

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the lively discussion let me think to hold back some of the Canon pigment ink and to get a used IP7250 or similar at a later time and to continue the test until I know that it won't work......

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
@mikling thanks for your input. I think most people have made it clear that this is a experiment and you do it at your own risk but if you have any information you think would help it would be great if you could share it so we can get a better understanding of the things that can go wrong.
I may be wrong but I thought this forum was to help each other by sharing the information we had or let people know the results of things we have tried ???

Just remember you experiment at your own risk.

There are certain elements of knowledge gained from these experiments that will not be divulged in a public forum. Where it is deemed to be of worthwhile public knowledge, I will release. Like classified information. This information even remains unknown even to large aftermarket ink makers so I have to keep quiet, I have invested lots of effort and time into this, I am not an ordinary "home brew" ink maker nor an ebay ink reseller or most retail ink resellers so keep this in mind. A lot of time $$$$ and equipment supports this venture .

Like I said I am knee to waist deep in this swamp trying to get things to work properly and it is frustrating to all parties in this, very much so at times. It ain't easy. There's a reason why Canon is late to the game in pigment printing as compared to Epson. Think they did not put lots of $$$ into it?

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Sorry if I missed something but I thought we were all photographers or printers looking for the best quality prints at the best price and discussing the best ways to achieve this ???

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I thought this forum was to help each other by sharing the information
Sorry if I missed something but I thought we were all photographers or printers looking for the best quality prints at the best price and discussing the best ways to achieve this ???
A lot of guys will benefit from Mikling been waist deep in his Canon pigment inks formulations, and when the time comes, he will share this information by allowing you to print at a hugely discounted price.

Sounds pretty good to me...
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/one-thousand.11635/page-4#post-98690

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I tried to test whether a regular Canon IP7250 dye ink printer would run as well with pigment inks and whether the pigment black ink channel could be used to apply a Chroma optimizer overprint in a 2nd print pass.
The pigment ink usage has been discussed above, whenever , in some time I may run such test for some more time, but not now.
I was using a clean refill cartridge set and filled the chroma optimizer into the PGI550 cartridge and was printing a 'black' sheet with the B/W printing option, this works without problem, this makes it possible to apply the chroma optimizer in a 2nd print pass.
But... when you try to select borderless printing, you get a warning by the driver, that this is not recommended and a list of various other papers pops up to select from including normal paper, it can be selected from there.
But printing borderless with this setting - normal paper - B/W - does not use the PGI550 black but the CLI551 black instead which spoiled several of my printouts - the driver is switching the black inks when selecting the borderless option. I didn't have a 2nd clean CLI551 black cartridge to start off another test that way. That's little firmware surprises you can get into.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Ink stained Fingers, the PGI-550 cart will work for the GO over-print, as you have found out, but the PGI-551 wont, when you switch to borderless prints, the printer will always select the photo black cartridge, but the sting in the tail is that the Cyan and Magenta would have to be filled with the GO also for it to work.

I’ve tried that before with a Pro 9500 and have now converted the printer over with GO in every cartridge. so I could print borderless, and guess what I don’t bother much with borderless any more, I keep the GO over-print to the same size as the photo image...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k., thanks @The Hat - I would need another clean cartridge set in this case to print GO borderless

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I filled the Canon PGI-72 pigment inks, left over from the above test with the IP7250, into the WF2010W and ran a profile with those inks, those inks print in an Epson printer, the WF2010W takes about any ink which fits through the nozzles. The gamut is very similar to other average Epson compatible pigment inks, the black level is L=9.4, not bad but not as low as the latest P600 like inks, so those inks will be printed away with this and that, the internet, part of it, a very small..part of it... Gloss and bronzing are visible on glossy papers, like with other pigment inks, and the effects very much go away with a gloss overprint so overall not bad for a 3rd party ink.