One Thousand

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Mike + Joe - very exciting info here! How close approx are we to refilling the Pro-1000 ? chips = inkset ?
The Pro-1000 printer is different from what many are used to. It has internal ink tanks inside the printer that is replenished by the ink tank you install. As a result if you need to purge colors, it is not easy and as Canon indicates, will require as much as 3 maintenance tanks to clear the lines and tanks. In addition to this, these internal buffer ink tanks are NOT closed off or sealed. You can remove the external ink tanks while the printer is printing. If you move the printer, you must keep it reasonably level during the move. In fact, the printer has tilt sensors.
I am taking my time and will test one color at a time and when I am satisfied with all the colors then and only then the refill ink goes into the machine. The need for "Precision" Colors is more acute as a result on this buffer tank situation. You should not install any old ink in there and then profile. If you do this, every few prints will need a new profile...unless the color match is near seamless to begin with. That is where I come in. Yeah you could possibly throw in any old ink in there and it would print, but why do this on this thoroughbred machine.

BTW, very little is known and discussed about the built in densitometer on this desktop. The same densitometer as in its larger floor standing brethren. Canon has gone to great lengths on management, adjustment and control of this printer by the user. ..which appears to share all the same advanced features as the floor standers. Refilling will be easy after the intial carts are modded. The chips are there and due for testing now.

Ink confirmation stage is in progress. Will there be a kit? Yes. Definitely. If I did not care but want to push ink, I could offer it today BUT good things take time and I want this to be good from the outset and as outlined, it NEEDS to be good from the start. I have standards to maintain and will take my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvG0Ar4uSh8

I am at the same time backed up by website work, analyzing international ship rates and also product development such as this. The first 4 months in 2017 I was clobbered with bookeeping issues. Hereon in, it is back to printers.

Last edited:

Cymark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
damn you Mike !!! I was expecting to see some cool video of you working on the pro-1000 ...I feel ya on the work schedule, we have parallel lives remember :)

Manolito

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
I am taking my time and will test one color at a time and when I am satisfied with all the colors then and only then the refill ink goes into the machine. The need for "Precision" Colors is more acute as a result on this buffer tank situation. bookeeping issues.

Hi Mike, I am sure you have done a lot of tests already with the Pro-1000 (with OEM and PC inks). I just set up mine last week and proceeded to print the first test prints, all with test images (not editing done by myself), I used the same test images to test my Pro-1 when I first got it. My first tests (I haven't done much yet) on the Pro-1000 showed me that in SOME images it saturates the images more than the Pro-1, specifically in the Reds and Oranges tones. In dense areas, the blacks are also deeper and denser that in the Pro-1, I personally prefer the blacks in the Pro-1 because it is very deep and dens but it still shows good details. I printed the images letting the printer manage colors, I still have to do a lot more tests before I can come to a solid conclusion, but after the first tests, I don't know yet how to feel about the Pro-1000 compared to the Pro-1. The Pro-1000 produces gorgeous prints, no doubt, but when it comes to the contrast, sometimes I don't feel entirely pleased about it YET, I feel the same sensation when I look back to my Mac monitor after working for a while in my very nice Dell monitor, the Mac monitor looks great, but it is a bit oversaturated and sometimes in bathers me because it doesn't look natural. Beside those differences that I mentioned, the prints in between the Pro-1 and Pro-1000 look pretty much the same to my eyes. Do you have any comment or suggestion? Thanks!!!!

Last edited: