Pro-1, banding issue on glossy/semi glossy paper

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
A nozzle check should be the starting point, but I could imagine that you didn't print one at the time you took over the printer earlier - as a proof of its technical condition. Those nozzle issues develop over time and may or may not have been visible yet at that time already. There are no other means to assess the quality of a used printhead . Your prints of the color ramps show that colored areas with more or less saturation are barely affected, the nozzle check show the problems with the gray channels clearly, a gray ramp probably could confirm that but is not necessary in this case.

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Your welcome. Let us know what happens.

Sure!

A nozzle check should be the starting point, but I could imagine that you didn't print one at the time you took over the printer earlier - as a proof of its technical condition. Those nozzle issues develop over time and may or may not have been visible yet at that time already. There are no other means to assess the quality of a used printhead . Your prints of the color ramps show that colored areas with more or less saturation are barely affected, the nozzle check show the problems with the gray channels clearly, a gray ramp probably could confirm that but is not necessary in this case.

Yea, your right. I should have done that first - I guess I know better now...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Frederik Forsberg, Not knowing the printer’s history or how long you’ve had it, I got stuck straight into you with what I taught needed to be said because the Pro 1 is a great printer and if I came over to strongly just say so, I taught you were the original owner, so I apologise for that. :hu

P.S. you won’t be able to soak the print head on your printer..

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
@Frederik Forsberg, Not knowing the printer’s history or how long you’ve had it, I got stuck straight into you with what I taught needed to be said because the Pro 1 is a great printer and if I came over to strongly just say so, I taught you were the original owner, so I apologise for that. :hu

P.S. you won’t be able to soak the print head on your printer..

No worries, I'm just happy for all the help. Looking back I definitely should have checked for this stuff before buying the printer.

Yea I kind of get that soaking the print head will not work. Its a nice thought and all but I guess its not really realistic.

A cheap 9500 Mark II (cheaper than a new print head) has just been set for sale close to me so I'm thinking of trying that out instead. Obviously not the same quality as a pro-1 but I think it will do me just fine - that is if it works. I guess its cheaper in the long run too - with better possibilities for refilling and resetting the cartridges and cheaper/more available print heads if it comes to that.

Of course I'm gonna do a nozzle check (and be more critical of the results this time) and a test print before buying anything, but is there anything else I should be aware of this time around?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but is there anything else I should be aware of this time around?
@Frederik Forsberg, if you get a good nozzle check, then go for it, the 9500 mk2 is also a high-quality printer and the easiest to refill of all printers, and you can pull the ink from the Pro 1 carts and use in the 9500...

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
@Frederik Forsberg, if you get a good nozzle check, then go for it, the 9500 mk2 is also a high-quality printer and the easiest to refill of all printers, and you can pull the ink from the Pro 1 carts and use in the 9500...

Exactly my thoughts regarding the ink! Fortunately I got a lot of ink with the pro-1 so I guess its not all bad. I will upload a nozzle check for you guys if/when I get a hold of the 9500 mk2 and make sure that I can return it in case something is wrong with the print head!

Once again, thank you all for helping me out, I have been struggling with this since I got the printer and its great to finally know why - even if its pretty much worst case scenario.

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
The printer was already sold when I contacted the guy... I will just have to wait and see if any good printers come up I guess.

Otherwise I have to go for a new print head. is there any way to tell if its the print head or the logic assay board that @stratman mentioned earlier?

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
It’s the print head, because if the logic board was damaged then this printer simply wouldn’t even turn on..;)

Ahh... I see :) - well then I guess thats what I gotta do, I have seen guides showing how to change the print head and it seems like its not that difficult. I might return when I mess it up though!

Latest posts