Pro-1, banding issue on glossy/semi glossy paper

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
that print head is dead after 1000 printed pages for 1000$ cost printer?
That’s typical of Canon for you, if you don’t use the printer regular enough, then the head is the thing that can suffer the most, the more ink you use the bigger the profits they make.... :eek:

Frederik Forsberg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
That’s typical of Canon for you, if you don’t use the printer regular enough, then the head is the thing that can suffer the most, the more ink you use the bigger the profits they make.... :eek:

However you can just set it to print a nozzle check once a week or so, correct?

I finally (okay, they where actually pretty fast...) got my new printhead today and I plan to try and install it over the weekend, that is if The Hat has time to help me out - expect a frustrated pm anytime after 16.00 gmt+1 tomorrow ;)

Once again, thank you guys for helping me out, haven't heard anything from the seller yet, but I didn't expect to either. I'm just happy that I can hopefully soon start printing some photos!

Also I just want to give a shout out to @jtoolman who's videos I have been binge watching lately. Excellent material and very intuitive for a printer apprentice such as myself!

Thanks guys, you have helped me make the best of a poor situation!

:bow

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I've learnt a lot from reading this and I'm impressed with the way the most experienced members have piled in to help this guy understand what is going on with his printer.
Certainly a clean nozzle check is the first thing to look for when buying a second hand printer and the Hat's advice to stop all image printing at the first signs of quality issues cannot be overstated.
Just curious - when performing the nozzle check using a thermal head (Canon) does the printer send a reduced voltage (lower current) pulse to the nozzles so that the possibility head burn out due to ink starvation is minimised or even prevented?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the Hat's advice to stop all image printing at the first signs of quality issues cannot be overstated.
No, it cannot be overstated. But, I will state that @The Hat was repeating my warning going back to post #2, albeit he threw in a few more words because he's Irish. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :old

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
when performing the nozzle check using a thermal head (Canon) does the printer send a reduced voltage (lower current) pulse to the nozzles so that the possibility head burn out due to ink starvation is minimised or even prevented?
A nozzle check is the safest image to print when a head is under duress because that image is only a light tint and the duration of the nozzles firing are so small that lasting damage cannot occur, however deep cleans can cause overheating.

Even dried ink inside the head will still protect the nozzles for a short while, and most problems are caused when there is no ink present in the nozzles, (Ink starvation) and the users continues to make test prints.

The greatest loss of a Canon print head is from poorly maintained refilled cartridges, damage seldom happens when using new cartridges, and every Refiller should review their refilling technique occasionally, being complaisant is what kills a print head...

Adriatix

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP 1800 MG3500
I

Just curious - when performing the nozzle check using a thermal head (Canon) does the printer send a reduced voltage (lower current) pulse to the nozzles so that the possibility head burn out due to ink starvation is minimised or even prevented?

I do not knew for this Canon print head but can tell you for certain that HP in firmware has a routine to check a temperature of print head heaters. If it find that the temperature is too low, and that temperature would not be enough to melt pyrrolidanone an compound that is very often used in HP inks for print head clog protection or made it in suitable viscosity for printing it automatically rise a voltage or preheating current. And if you refill a cartridge with ink that does not have a suitable amount of that pyrrolidanode or with ink that is cooling down these heater then firmware would in couple of second burn this print head.

I do not knew If there there the same routine in Canon firmware but that is most likely since this is the way how manufacturer are protecting a thermal print heads from clog. And if you use some generic ink, and you never knew what is inside this ink you can easy get in troubles.

But these thing are not as simple as it looks like. For instance HP 45 is supposed for this firmware protection . But HP 78 is not. Then Canon Pg 40 is supported in some way while Cl 41 is not.

So you would need to burn a couple of print heads for that Canon Pro 1 to find out what is real inside that Canon firmware. And where are the margins.

Do you knew any refill ink manufacturer that is going to make that kind of verification for every particular ink they are selling. Or they are selling in the most case the same ink or same generic pigment ink for Epson and Canon and HP.

So if we go one step further and you find a properly designed pigmented ink for HP and try it in Epson or Canon ( if it does not use that preheating procedure ) the nozzles would be clogged since piezzo is not preheating its nozzles. And this pyrrolidanone is in fact some kind of wax with a melting temperature around 28 st C

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I do not knew for this Canon print head
I do not knew If there there the same routine in Canon firmware.

So you would need to burn a couple of print heads for that Canon Pro 1

Do you knew any refill ink manufacturer that is going to make that kind of verification
@ Adriatix, your comments are so far off the mark and are a mishmash of everything and nothing that no further response could be possible..:hu

Please try not to criticise things you know very little about, whatever the motivate...

Adriatix

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP 1800 MG3500
Just for your precious knowledge
Have you ever designed ink for Canon that is working flawlessly
Yes or No ?

For great disappointment I have done it. Not from some commercial concentrate but from every particular independent compound.
You can accept that or not I do not care.

Then take a look at this image. This is an Canon print head nozzles. You can clearly see how nozzle plate plastic has bubbled because of over heating or wrong inkjet ink formulation.

Attachments

• DSCN3150_L.jpg
    DSCN3150_L.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited: